What's Your next Rifle Build? (Just for Fun!)

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
My 1st custom rifle was a 30-338 Lap imp. I burned it up a few years ago and rebarreled it to a 338 Lap imp. We have since made our own reamer for close to the same thing, but my original rifle out runs the reamer that we have by about 100 fps. So we sent in 3 pcs of fired brass to Manson Reamers to have it duplicated. That original rifle ran 178g bullets at 3700 fps. Was stinking fun.

So here is my build.

Found in stock a Defiance Deviant with integrated pic rail in stock. Ordered
AG Alpine Hunter stock
Bartlein stainless heavy varmint LH twist gain 9" to 8" finish 30" at .815" muzzle, spiral fluted
Small Pain Killer brake
Hawkins bottom metal
Trigger undecided, new Bix & Andy possibly.
Topped with Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 UHD FFP 4.5-29x56 moa APLR5 reticle

Hoping this one will push the 181g Hammer Hunters at somewhere close to 3700 fps. The 1st one was on a Lilja barrel and are not known to be fast, so crossing my fingers. Looking forward to this one. These rocket sleds are so much fun! 3700 fsp with a 181g Hammer Hunter and so little recoil that any kid can shoot it, is just crazy cool. Hoping to be able to hunt with it this fall.

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS “Technology” , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to “Listen” to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support.
Builging two at the time for BR and "F" class

6.5 X 284
Impact or Curtis actions
MPA/Spencer Barrel SS 29" 1.25" straight, 1:7.5 twist
Jewel or Triger Tech
MPA modified chassis
Vortex Razor HD II 4.5X27 FF EBR-2C

6mm BR
Impact or Curtis actions
MPA/Spencer Barrel SS 29" 1.25" straight, 1:7 twist
Jewel or Triger Tech
MPA modified chassis

Currenty build PRS
.260 Rem
Defiance Divent Action
Bartlein Barrel SS 26" Heavy Palma 1:8 twist MPA Brake
Jewel Trigger
ACIS AX Chassis
2022 Build 338LM Ai. It just started on the drawing board. Getting a lot of info from "Ultimate 338LM Build" post. Finally decided on the 338LM Ai. Currently purchasing the first components -338LM brass. Will use MPA chassis & barrel, trigger is between TT Diamond or B&A. The action is up in the air. Betweem Impact & Defiance. Scope will have to be someting High power so you can see the Luna Module that was left on the moon.
The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS “Technology” , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to “Listen” to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support. Bob and his wife Carol were extremly generous in providing (giving) us with equipment and materials to get us started in business.

SilentHero

I’m super excited since I’ve only ever had hand me down rifles. I love them all for sentimental reasons, but I’m excited to customize to my desires.

Rifle #1
300WM (primary elk / back-up deer)
Tikka T3x Stainless
AG Alpine Hunter
Carbon6 / 23” / 1:10”
Leaning towards a brake from Macs Gunworks who is inletting the stock.

Rifle #2
280AI (primary deer / back-up elk)
Tikka T3x Stainless (originally a 270)
MDT HNT26:)
Carbon6 / 24” / 1:8.5”
We’ll see how it shoots and then decide on a brake.

Both will have 20MOA rails from Mountain Tactical (who’s awesome by the way). I just ordered an American Defense QD mount that’ll likely house a March scope. I’ve spent too much money and will need to share the scope between the two guns. I’ll keep my Athlon Ares BTR as back-up. But I want to only use the one scope/reticle so I become very accustomed to it. Any thoughts on this would be welcomed. ;-)

Last edited:

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.