Next rifle build for whitetail & mulleys

Less than 400 yards, .243 all day long. That being said, I'm planning to convert my .243 to a 6.5 saum or the like to get more oomph at 400 yards plus.

OP's requirements are: low recoil, short range, light carry and short action. That would lead me to suggest what some others have - 243, 260, 6.5 Creed and/or the 7mm-08.

Something in a rifle like the Model 7 or similarly sized firearms.

I was going to say 7-08 but held off, mostly due to the more medium weight for caliber bullets the 7-08 uses compared to the 6.5's and 140's. That said it's an excellent and often over looked round. If I didn't already have my 7rem my current 6.5 build would have been a 7-08.

I was going to say 7-08 but held off, mostly due to the more medium weight for caliber bullets the 7-08 uses compared to the 6.5's and 140's. That said it's an excellent and often over looked round. If I didn't already have my 7rem my current 6.5 build would have been a 7-08.

If you shoot 168 VLD's in the 7mm-08 it would increase the performance level above the .308 Win with 168gr bullets, because of the better BC of the 7mm bullets. And should retain similar velocities because the bullet weights are the same.

Well I ended up talking to him yesterday. We talked about doing a 6.5 cm and he mentioned the 260 Ackley improved. Wow when I checked that out on line alot of good info and a lot of constrictive comparison. Both seem like good tack drivers. I ended up ordering the 260 AI. Thanks for getting me going in the right direction. Actually having thoughts of just ordering both. But I am sure when that bill came in I would never here the end from the misses.

If you shoot 168 VLD's in the 7mm-08 it would increase the performance level above the .308 Win with 168gr bullets, because of the better BC of the 7mm bullets. And should retain similar velocities because the bullet weights are the same.

Good point, I was kind of stuck on 140 to 150gr bullets for a 7-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts