Help me build my next rifle!

megastink

I want to build a lightweight .260 Rem. I think this will be the perfect caliber for our deer out here in PA. The goal of my build is super lightweight mountain rifle for long walks in the woods. Shots will be 50-600 yards and I'm planning on loading either ELD-X's or LRAB's in the 140-147gr range. This could also be a rifle that I bring on future antelope hunts. I have some components in mind for the build that I believe will fit in nicely, but would love to get some suggestions. Here's the rough draft of the build:

Action: Remington 700 short
Trigger: (looking for suggestions)
Bottom metal: factory BDL
Barrel: X-Caliber Remage 24" 1:7 or 1:8
Muzzle Break: (looking for suggestions)
Stock: Grayboe Trekker (this is borderline non-negotiable)
Scope base: EGW moa Picatinny
Rings: Burris Signature Zee
Optic: Bushnell LRHS 3-12 or Burris E1 4.5-14x42 LRMOA (already own both, but open to other suggestions)

My budget is around $2k for the whole rifle, not including optics. I'd love to hear what direction you all would take this build.

Unless you already have the Remington action and are planning to use it - I would strongly suggest going custom (Kelbly, Defiance, Terminus, etc.). By the time a smith puts in new style bolt release, upgrades extractor, nitrides, etc., you will have almost spent price of custom.

If you get the action for say, $400, then you have it trued (very good idea) that is around $200, then it would be a good idea to have the bottom opened up for a Wyatts extended mag box, even with a SAAMI throat, those bullets won't fit good as a repeater, I have a .260 AI, and the 143 eld-x's were like 2.930" or so, seated .015" off. That puts ya $650+, if the smith doesn't talk ya into getting an extended bolt knob, and you don't want anything else done. You can get a Stiller action for about that much from PTG I believe, go take a look and see what they got. Also, Gunwerks has their GRB action in stock for $850, and I'm sure there are a few others that are good for that price. If you already have the action in hand, you can afford to do some work to it and still be significantly cheaper however.

If you want a brake, I would look at a Muzzlebrakes and more, for the barrel contour your gonna need to get to keep it light, probably a 3 port baby beast, but sent Nathan at mbm an email and he will help ya out. For the recoil reduction you get, these will likely be the best priced, and they have titanium as an option if you want.

For trigger, Timney is never a bad option, I also like Jewel's. I have a couple trigger techs, but I like being able to adjust my overtravel.

I would definitely upgrade the action, you can get a Kelbly Atlas Tactical for little less that 1k, it will come nitrided and have a pinned 20 MOA picatinny rail. Same with Stiller except you will need to purchase the rail.

A trued 700 is still less than a custom and make very accurate foundations.
I primarily build on them. There's no need for bolt release alterations, extractor upgrades and bolt knobs unless you really want them. They are not necessary for proper function.
I also build with PT&G SS/ blued steel bottom metal, but seeing as though you want super lightweight, then a Hawkins or aluminium PT&G bottom metal will suffice.
I also use Jewel or Trigger Tech.
Have never used Grayboe stocks, but hear good things

Cheers.

If you get the action for say, $400, then you have it trued (very good idea) that is around $200, then it would be a good idea to have the bottom opened up for a Wyatts extended mag box, even with a SAAMI throat, those bullets won't fit good as a repeater, I have a .260 AI, and the 143 eld-x's were like 2.930" or so, seated .015" off. That puts ya $650+, if the smith doesn't talk ya into getting an extended bolt knob, and you don't want anything else done. You can get a Stiller action for about that much from PTG I believe, go take a look and see what they got. Also, Gunwerks has their GRB action in stock for $850, and I'm sure there are a few others that are good for that price. If you already have the action in hand, you can afford to do some work to it and still be significantly cheaper however.

If you want a brake, I would look at a Muzzlebrakes and more, for the barrel contour your gonna need to get to keep it light, probably a 3 port baby beast, but sent Nathan at mbm an email and he will help ya out. For the recoil reduction you get, these will likely be the best priced, and they have titanium as an option if you want.

For trigger, Timney is never a bad option, I also like Jewel's. I have a couple trigger techs, but I like being able to adjust my overtravel.
I can't find a Stiller on PTG's site for less than $750. Maybe that's still a good deal? I've never shopped a custom action. All I use is Savage, which is why I was leaning towards a Remage barrel.

You are heading down a pretty good path. Might want better rings. I would do Warne bases and rings myself.

+1 on the custom action upgrade, unless you have a Rem 700 collecting dust. Rem 700 is an ok base for a build, unless you want/need to spend money improving it. Then it is a bottomless pit. Look at the Bighorn Origin LA….$925 comes with scope base.

I would look into a Shilen Remage from NSS before I gave X caliber my money. Maybe they are great today, but that has not always been true.

Triggers seem to be a personal decision and personally I like Timney & Jewell.

MBM made me a great brake and they bore for each caliber. EC Tuner is another option. It may allow better accuracy from tuning.

The stock you have picked seems fine, but eats up a lot of budget. B&C makes fine stocks priced from $300-$450. The are very stiff….aluminum backbone and Fit up well with some bedding. The only negative is you have to pay your smith to put in flush cups and/or any rails you want. Don't forget to order a custom lop, if the std is't going to be right for you.

You are heading down a pretty good path. Might want better rings. I would do Warne bases and rings myself.

+1 on the custom action upgrade, unless you have a Rem 700 collecting dust. Rem 700 is an ok base for a build, unless you want/need to spend money improving it. Then it is a bottomless pit. Look at the Bighorn Origin LA….$925 comes with scope base.

I would look into a Shilen Remage from NSS before I gave X caliber my money. Maybe they are great today, but that has not always been true.

Triggers seem to be a personal decision and personally I like Timney & Jewell.

MBM made me a great brake and they bore for each caliber. EC Tuner is another option. It may allow better accuracy from tuning.

The stock you have picked seems fine, but eats up a lot of budget. B&C makes fine stocks priced from $300-$450. The are very stiff….aluminum backbone and Fit up well with some bedding. The only negative is you have to pay your smith to put in flush cups and/or any rails you want. Don't forget to order a custom lop, if the std is't going to be right for you.
I do not want a B/C for this build. I have a Savage 270 in a Sporter and its nice, but definitely not lightweight. In fact, the Trekker is my muse for the build. At 23oz, thats my stock and I'm sticking to it. haha. I'll look into Bighorn.

Unless you already have the Remington action and are planning to use it - I would strongly suggest going custom (Kelbly, Defiance, Terminus, etc.). By the time a smith puts in new style bolt release, upgrades extractor, nitrides, etc., you will have almost spent price of custom.
I would bet it is more to get the 700 built/tuned in the same configuration. A huge gain is you can get pre-threads with perfect head spacing later if you want for the custom. I don't shoot out barrels and swap stuff around. Were I to do it again......maybe but doubt it. I would have gotten a second bolt for my defiance with a different bolt face size. Bighorn has a Savage copy so much easier to swab chamberings with the same bolt. Yeah I dont do custom guns and did not do enough research or I would probably have gone with Bighorn over Defiance.
Edit. Lots and lots of triggers. I like Timney and TriggerTech. I am partial to the side port Muzzle Brakes N More....on a 260...no brake for me and if I was putting one on it would be as short as possible.....3 port.

Sounds like a very nice set up have you given any thought to the 260 ackley its a very nice step up

Sounds like a very nice set up have you given any thought to the 260 ackley its a very nice step up
The AI will only give me another 75-100fps. That's not enough of a difference for me to go with the AI. Plus, as hard as it is to find components for loading nowadays, I'd rather have something more common.

Recent Posts