Next build : tikka vs savage storm

300 prc is way too long for a tikka it's too long for a Remington unless you use a CIP length magazine or a Wyatt's extended box or you are okay with deformed bullet tips under recoil. The 300 prc needs 3.75" to run factory ammo it's half an inch longer than the tikka max OAL. The

300 prc is way too long for a tikka it's too long for a Remington unless you use a CIP length

I think the suggestion was for the 6.5 PRC instead of building a 6.5-300 WSM.

I've been following this one a little, and the more I think on it the more I'd buy a custom action like the AnTi or other light action for this build. While there might be a lot of options for Tikka stocks and other aftermarket items, the aftermarket support for M700 and clones dwarfs Tikka. Save dollars or save possible headaches, I personally don't like headaches.

I think the suggestion was for the 6.5 PRC instead of building a 6.5-300 WSM.

I've been following this one a little, and the more I think on it the more I'd buy a custom action like the AnTi or other light action for this build. While there might be a lot of options for Tikka stocks and other aftermarket items, the aftermarket support for M700 and clones dwarfs Tikka. Save dollars or save possible headaches, I personally don't like headaches.

you won't go wrong either way. Nice thing about tikkas is their triggers are top notch with a slight adjustment of a screw. So that's one less thing to worry about. I got a manners PRS1 with mini chassis for my tikka. There are options out there.

300 prc is way too long for a tikka it's too long for a Remington unless you use a CIP length magazine or a Wyatt's extended box or you are okay with deformed bullet tips under recoil. The 300 prc needs 3.75" to run factory ammo it's half an inch longer than the tikka max OAL. The

Plenty of after market bottom metal allow tikkas to run ai mags. I'm running a 30 nosler with no problems.

Tikka,Savage or Remington can take a prefit barrel with ease. I've done one of each they all take a barrel nut for head spacing. I get my barrels from X-Caliber along with there barrel nuts.
you won't go wrong either way. Nice thing about tikkas is their triggers are top notch with a slight adjustment of a screw. So that's one less thing to worry about. I got a manners PRS1 with mini chassis for my tikka. There are options out there.
Then get a spying from MACARBO ant the trigger is even better

Plenty of after market bottom metal allow tikkas to run ai mags. I'm running a 30 nosler with no problems.
There are only three mfgs of tikka bottom metals that I'm aware of and they all three only make a bottom metal that will accept the 3.715" magazine which only allows an OAL of 3.6" the factory Hornady 300 prc rounds are 3.75" long and will not fit in that magazine. The 30 Nosler was designed for a shorter OAL.

If I understand correctly the OP, he doesn't have either rifle action to begin with. I can get into a Zermatt Origin action with Trigger Tech and Hawkins M5 DBM in stock from Bugholes for $1300 after shipping and transfer fees. Add another $1300-1500 for CF pre-fit barrel and stock. The AnTi will be about $300 more when available.

A new Tikka is $750-800 + tax or transfer fees and shipping. Plus possible gunsmith fees to remove the barrel. Bottom metal is another $200 if your going to ACIS, and still $1300-1500 for a CF pre-fit and stock. The only thing you're saving is about $200 for a trigger and what you can sell your take off parts for. Then there is the time factor of the build, especially if you're really trying to wait for a good deal on a used donor rifle. Who knows how long you'll wait for the right deal?

What about weight? The Origin SA with trigger will weigh the same as a Tikka receiver and trigger, with the LA Origin about four ounces heavier with trigger. AnTi actions will weigh about 6 oz less than the Origin.

I used to love Savage, and have used several for rifle builds. However, they are no longer a cheap option for an action and they use that stupid bottom bolt release. Then they are the most expensive option for a lightweight stock.

If I understand correctly the OP, he doesn't have either rifle action to begin with. I can get into a Zermatt Origin action with Trigger Tech and Hawkins M5 DBM in stock from Bugholes for $1300 after shipping and transfer fees. Add another $1300-1500 for CF pre-fit barrel and stock. The AnTi will be about $300 more when available.

A new Tikka is $750-800 + tax or transfer fees and shipping. Plus possible gunsmith fees to remove the barrel. Bottom metal is another $200 if your going to ACIS, and still $1300-1500 for a CF pre-fit and stock. The only thing you're saving is about $200 for a trigger and what you can sell your take off parts for. Then there is the time factor of the build, especially if you're really trying to wait for a good deal on a used donor rifle. Who knows how long you'll wait for the right deal?

What about weight? The Origin SA with trigger will weigh the same as a Tikka receiver and trigger, with the LA Origin about four ounces heavier with trigger. AnTi actions will weigh about 6 oz less than the Origin.

I used to love Savage, and have used several for rifle builds. However, they are no longer a cheap option for an action and they use that stupid bottom bolt release. Then they are the most expensive option for a lightweight stock.

those are valid points but the op asked savage vs tikka.

I know that it about Tikka vs Savage and I've put prefits on both as well as a Remington 700. Cost wise for said rifles is about the same. So in my opinion I would rather go with a Remington or a clone just because of parts availability especially stocks and triggers as well as cost for those parts. My next one is going to be a Mac Bros action 100% Remington foot print. $600.00 in the stainless and $1100 or so for a titanium. My 2 pennies worth. Tikka is my second choice

Doesn't sound so far like many have had experience with the new skeleton savage action and I'm not sure if it's a bottom bolt release , they still make the top bolt release which I prefer. I asked a question about a 300 PRC fitting in a tikka action but this thread is for a 6.5wsm build. The savage would be a better option for me because of cost and familiarity but if the tikka is so much better then I was considering going with tikka going forward. The other action options intrigue me but for me I find it beneficial to have the same tools/stocks/parts for one action type. This is a light maybe ultralight build , this rifles purpose would be simple under 600 yards. I'd love to throw a bunch of money at it but it would probably be a process for me. I would buy a new rifle, carbon fiber rebarrel it, run the original stock and trigger and see how it did at 600 and upgrade a stock and trigger eventually. That was kind of the idea behind it.