Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters

precisionshooter

I am a very new hunter. So far I have shot in competitions. I am a big proponent of shooting suppressed because I really like my ears and reduces recoil. I would assume it would even make more sense shooting with a can when hunting, otherwise I will have to wear ear plugs all day. I realise that adding a can increases weight and length. But I guess that is cost/inconvenience of doing business.

I have been told by more experienced hunters that shooting supressed is unnecessary and even a bad idea. Unnecessary because I would be shooting outdoors and the adrenaline is going to protect my hearing. I have even been told that I would not even realise the gun going off because of the adrenaline. I have also been told that because hunting rifles have lighter barrels, a suppressor will cause unpredictable barrel harmonics and would not make consistent POI shifts.

I am looking to shoot 700 to 1000 yards and mostly deer/elk size animals. Do you have any experience about these points?

Last edited:
Your ears don't magically block out noise when you have a buck in your sights, your brain may be distracted from the noise but it still does hearing damage. A lot of guys on hear shooting muzzle brakes and using the around the neck type plugs to put on before a shot. I am in the suppressor crowd. There are some options out now that are under 12 oz and 6" which if your barrel is somewhat short is not too much of an inconvenience. I also think it makes the gun much more pleasant to shoot and I think the animals don't notice it near as much, as in 1 shot may not spook a whole drainage out in comparison to a stock rifle with no can.

I absolutely LOVE hunting suppressed. I will never go back except with my big boomer mags for LR elk hunting.
20220813_161246.jpg
20220815_183046.jpg

20210814_121944.jpg
20210814_123553.jpg

20200816_210826.jpg

20200815_100122.jpg

20200817_193333.jpg

I exclusively shoot suppressed while shooting any centerfire cartridge. Plinking, practicing, and hunting. Every rifle that I own is always shot with a suppressor. I like my hearing too much, enjoy the recoil reduction too much, to not shoot with a can on my rifle. I'll take the weight and length penalties any day.

My hunting rifles all have carbon fiber barrels or .750 straight taper barrels with heavy fluting. I tried shooting a suppressor on a Browning Xbolt or similar pencil barrels, but didnt like the accuracy or even the look of it to be honest. YMMV.

I am brand new to shooting suppressed as of this late summer. I don't know that I can go back to not shooting suppressed. It is so nice! Not as much recoil reduction as a good brake, but a slower recoil. Very comfortable. I highly recommend running suppressed.

It is plain silly that we have prohibitive laws against suppressors. They don't silence the rifle, they just make it comfortable. It still reports. Just stupid that we can't just purchase them.

I am brand new to shooting suppressed as of this late summer. I don't know that I can go back to not shooting suppressed. It is so nice! Not as much recoil reduction as a good brake, but a slower recoil. Very comfortable. I highly recommend running suppressed.

It is plain silly that we have prohibitive laws against suppressors. They don't silence the rifle, they just make it comfortable. It still reports. Just stupid that we can't just purchase them.
Which is the only reason I don't have a suppressor. Don't believe in the governmental BS and additional cost to own one…yet.