Best round for deer & hog hunting

Glad to see most of you agree on the 308. That is what I chose in an AR for hogs. Shooting factory ammo suppressed. I am having a hard time finding a bullet that will do mass damage but pass through. Would love to use Accubonds. They won't cycle. Hornady hollow points shoot great but leave no blood trail. No pass through on hogs. I am sure they would be great on deer or steel. Remington pointed soft points would not hit the side of a barn. Thinking of trying Winchester. Suggestions please.

What weight bullet and what range are you shooting? 180 grain round nose is a big hammer! 165 partition,grand slam or Sierra gameking hpbt works great if shooting over 250 yards. I only remember blood trailing one that I shot with a 150 hornady cup and core, others were drt. That one was a running liver shot - easy trail.

Another options is a 7mm-08 Rem, better ballistic and BC's that the 308 and more punch than a 6.5.

With 120gr, 139gr and 140 gr bullets ypu can hunt from hogs to Elk with the right bullet selection, also works great on coyotes.

Lots of ammo options available and bullets for reloading as well. Accurate as any other cartridge out there.

.308 win no doubt deserves respect. It's very capable and versatile and has stood the test of time. With that being said it's old news and to me... boring. With modern advancements in ballistics (knowledge, bullets, cartridges etc...) there are many far better choices in caliber selection.

In terms of external ballistics; bullet offerings in 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm offer many advantages over .30 cal. The caveat being the big thirties that are capable of pushing 215 plus grain projectiles with very high BCs at useful velocities.

As far as cartridge selection... pick your poison with whatever interests you. I usually pick the bullet that will get the job done, set standards for my application (velocity, max effective range, KE etc.) and last pick the cartridge based off my standards. It really is an endless debate of preferences and strong opinions. Good luck.

.308 Win is a great choice for deer and hogs. I have taken many with 165/168G bullets of several brands. Easy to find ammunition and components. Lots of options in ammunition and brand. Versatile cartridge that gets frequently overlooked today but is a great option for sure.

I don't currently have a .308, but it is a very important caliber to have. It is highly accurate, good to 400+ yards, and economical to shoot with a long barrel life. I was thinking of a LWRC or Falkor AR-10, it will fit nicely with my Aero Precision M5E1 LR-6.5 Creedmoor.

Hi folks, I'm posting this here because I did not know where else to. I'm am about to buy a new rifle for deer and hog hunting. Was thinking .308, but I wanted to get some input if you all thought there was a better caliber for these types of hunts. Thank you in advance for any information.

What are the ranges that you intend to shoot at?

Surprised ABs won't cycle

Pretty routine boattail design

If you can the 150s should pass through .Pretty easy to get cooking at 2800 to 2850fps. Inside 200 going to have to hit a lot of bone or hogzilla not to penetrate broadside .

Wound pick of a 220lb buck at 85 with 150ab. The wounding I have seen with this combo has often beat my 338win on deer sized game
IMG_20181021_200946550.jpg

The 308 is hard to beat for many reasons listed above. For hunting it is my go to gun, I reload and use a 150gr. Sierra. It takes care of both hogs and deer very well

308 is a great choice for more then just medium size animals . I'm a 7m rm man myself but have personally watched three bull moose go no more there 30yds after taking a well placed pill from a 308

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not but my 308 and 30/06 seem to drop animals faster than a 300 win mag 200 yards and under. Seems like the slower speed transfers more energy into the animal. Wondering if anybody has seen this?

What weight bullet and what range are you shooting? 180 grain round nose is a big hammer! 165 partition,grand slam or Sierra gameking hpbt works great if shooting over 250 yards. I only remember blood trailing one that I shot with a 150 hornady cup and core, others were drt. That one was a running liver shot - easy trail.
Most shots around 100. I tried the 180 Remington round nose. Thinking like you. Big Hammer! My gun hated them. Groups were huge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.