Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters
I've owned a Rugged Radiant for a couple years now that finally got used on a hunt this year and wow what a difference! Aside from recoil reduction and the benefit in helping not damage your hearing as much (still possible depending on cartridge), we found it to be very useful in not completely blowing an area out of animals. My father dropped a pronghorn buck at about 240yards, and the herd he was in trotted off about another 150-200 yards to then just stare at us almost like they were trying figure out what happened.

Now, I'm planning on having all my hunting rifles threaded for a suppressor (except for a couple classic style rifles) as I believe the benefits outweigh the cons.

An important consideration, while length and weight are big things to think about I wouldn't suggest going with the shortest suppressor as decibel reduction won't be as good as a larger suppressor. My Rugged Radiant has a module that can be removed to make it shorter but I only shoot it in the long configuration as I enjoy having more sound reduction.

I am a very new hunter. So far I have shot in competitions. I am a big proponent of shooting suppressed because I really like my ears and reduces recoil. I would assume it would even make more sense shooting with a can when hunting, otherwise I will have to wear ear plugs all day. I realise that adding a can increases weight and length. But I guess that is cost/inconvenience of doing business.

I have been told by more experienced hunters that shooting supressed is unnecessary and even a bad idea. Unnecessary because I would be shooting outdoors and the adrenaline is going to protect my hearing. I have even been told that I would not even realise the gun going off because of the adrenaline. I have also been told that because hunting rifles have lighter barrels, a suppressor will cause unpredictable barrel harmonics and would not make consistent POI shifts.

I am looking to shoot 700 to 1000 yards and mostly deer/elk size animals. Do you have any experience about these points?
Go for it! I got my second suppressor earlier. I wanted to support my local economy, so I went with Eliteiron Bravo SD for .30 cal (for my .30 LARA) and smaller and Rex Selentium MG10 ultra .338 (for my .338 Thor) and smaller. If you know someone with a suppressor set-up, ask them to show you; hopefully, they will let you shoot it. Personal experience will help in your decision-making. Good luck!

It only takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time one time to hate brakes!
I thought the Gemtec One took the bark and recoil out of the altralite 06 but the Banish 30 is even better! The guns in the safe are lineing up to get threaded as they dont get considered anymore without a suppressor.

Only thing better than hunting suppressed is shooting in a match with all rifles on the line suppressed.

In one of my business trips to UK, I shot in a high power match in London. All manual AR15s, no gas system, but equipped with "courtesy devices" that's what the locals called them.
Just wait til the gun geeks start fights over that term…

"It's called a silencer!" "No! Technically it's a suppressor!" "Shut up ol' Chap and twist on your courtesy device!"

My baby Jet lathe stayed busy threading muzzles for friends ever since hunting with a can became legal. Headstock is short enough that I can thread the muzle end between spiders without unscrewing the barrel. Just run slower than normal.

Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

I'll be the odd man out here. I did the suppressor thing about 10 years ago, then got over it. I never liked the extra length added to the barrel, even on short barrels. I didn't like the cost, wait time or paperwork that went with the suppressors. The recoil reduction on the big guns wasn't as good as a well-designed brake.

For the cost of a suppressor, I can buy some premium electronic hearing protection and a lifetime supply of batteries. I've always hunted with hearing protection and I've never shot an animal (even grouse and rabbits) without some sort of hearing protection on, even when I had the suppressors.

Suppressors are addictive ever since I bought my banish 30 gold, I have been kicking around the idea of buying another one for the over 30 crowd in my safe. Love shooting with them. The titanium ones are light enough that they aren't a hinderance also.

What did you say? I've been shooting w/o a suppressor for years. Please speak louder.

PS: I'm 69 years old shot without hearing protection most of my life. I now have hearing aids and a suppressor. Once you shoot with suppressor you'll never go back. It's common sense and really not debatable. I'm sitting here with over 50%hearing loose.

I have been told by more experienced hunters that shooting supressed is unnecessary and even a bad idea. Unnecessary because I would be shooting outdoors and the adrenaline is going to protect my hearing. I have even been told that I would not even realise the gun going off because of the adrenaline. I have also been told that because hunting rifles have lighter barrels, a suppressor will cause unpredictable barrel harmonics and would not make consistent POI shifts.

Avoid these people, they are misinforming you out of ignorance of the subject.

You have come to the right place for sound advice.

I am a very new hunter. So far I have shot in competitions. I am a big proponent of shooting suppressed because I really like my ears and reduces recoil. I would assume it would even make more sense shooting with a can when hunting, otherwise I will have to wear ear plugs all day. I realise that adding a can increases weight and length. But I guess that is cost/inconvenience of doing business.

I am looking to shoot 700 to 1000 yards and mostly deer/elk size animals. Do you have any experience about these points?
Get a can, hands down, 11oz and 6" length of some of the new stuff. Proper instal of the break for the can is key... timing, don't over tighten... but if you shoot competitive, you know all that. Only downside I've ever experienced is length and climbing around deadfall. But you still have to watch the muzzle anyways. So that's a wash. Go with what you know!!!

I can't say enough good things shooting suppressed. I suppress everything from a 22 to a 300 win mag. I usually start a new can when I get one approved. I have all thunderbeast 6.5 ultra 7, .30 ultra 7, 30-p1 and one bowers 22.

My builds get shorter and shorter barrels.
16" .308 suppressed for missouri is still my favorite.

9" 300blkout suppressed subs can take out a sounder of pigs

Attachments

• 819AC841-E5AC-4142-BC7E-541EDFD7403C.jpeg
    819AC841-E5AC-4142-BC7E-541EDFD7403C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 80FCD679-89EA-4D8A-B7E2-A99726D0510C.jpeg
    80FCD679-89EA-4D8A-B7E2-A99726D0510C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 1F895EB0-299F-4CDE-AEAA-2B2DA9508C56.jpeg
    1F895EB0-299F-4CDE-AEAA-2B2DA9508C56.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19