Best round for deer & hog hunting

That stinks! My savage 99 loves em---animals-not so much! What are you shooting now? At 100 yards 3 inch groups are good enuf.

I do love my .308's. My 788 will shoot either the 150 or 165 Partition but, honestly, unless you were under 100 yards, I'm not certain either would make it thru both shoulders of a mature boar, as I've never shot a pig with one. Both will go thru both shoulders of a decent sized muley or an antelope - that I can attest to. My other .308 is R700 BDL. The action is trued and it wears a 26" Hart #5.5 barrel with a 1:14 twist. I'm going to see just how fast I can get those little mono bullets whistling down range! I haven't done a lot of load development with it but so far it shoots pretty good and I'm pleased with it. I've got a Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 40 on top.
I don't think the OP would be better off with any other cartridge for the game stated (ok, maybe a .270 but...) the .308 has such a wide range of bullet choices it's staggering... and it's even better if you load your own. I would even go so far as to say it might just be the perfect first hunting rifle.
Cheers,
crkckr

Hornady American Gunner 155 BTHP. The price is great and they shoot(.70). They just won't pass through a large hog and leave a blood trail. The Remington 180's shot 3.5 inch groups. I may try them,however, I sure would like to find something else.

165 grain Sierra gameking bthp,165& 180 nosler partition all give very good penetration on pigs. The ones your shooting now are more of a target bullet. Even with the better bullets don't expect 100 percent pass through on the really big ones if you hit both shoulders and they have a thick grissle sheild. That's a lot to ask from any 308,but they will almost always be drt.
To the op-sorry if we kinda jacked your thread. Geo4061-- sounds like a good thread of its own.

i have a few friends that use .223 in AR configuration and they all load up 62gr (I think) Barnes TSX bullets. Most use head and neck shots but I've seen them work "okay" on a heart lung shot though I wouldn't recommend that shot placement on the larger boars. With better bullet technology the little .223 can do some serious damage at moderate ranges out to 200 yards. I personally use a 6.8spc, .458 SOCOM, .338FED, and 7mm.08 all in AR platforms. Though I still on occasion break out one of my lever guns when I am feeling ornery which consist of .30-30 and .444MAR or if I am REALLY feeling my oats I just take a matched pair of old Colt .45's. It's really all about shot placement and knowing your cartridges limitations when it comes to hogs. If you are using an anemic round such as the .223, then you need to limit your shot options in both range and placement when it comes to the big boys over 150 pounds. That cartilage shield isn't bullet proof but it does absorb a hell of a lot of energy.

Glad to see most of you agree on the 308. That is what I chose in an AR for hogs. Shooting factory ammo suppressed. I am having a hard time finding a bullet that will do mass damage but pass through. Would love to use Accubonds. They won't cycle. Hornady hollow points shoot great but leave no blood trail. No pass through on hogs. I am sure they would be great on deer or steel. Remington pointed soft points would not hit the side of a barn. Thinking of trying Winchester. Suggestions please.
Please forgive for sliding the topic, but it is at least relevant. Big Green loads Swift Sciroccos in 165gr .308. They are great.

Glad to see most of you agree on the 308. That is what I chose in an AR for hogs. Shooting factory ammo suppressed. I am having a hard time finding a bullet that will do mass damage but pass through. Would love to use Accubonds. They won't cycle. Hornady hollow points shoot great but leave no blood trail. No pass through on hogs. I am sure they would be great on deer or steel. Remington pointed soft points would not hit the side of a barn. Thinking of trying Winchester. Suggestions please.

Do you reload? If so the Partition, A-frame, Interbond, Scirocco's are some options you can try, if you haven't already. Also some Monolithic's.

I've read the Hornady Interlock holds up pretty well also.

For Factory ammo maybe try the Barnes VOR-TX line with the 130gr or 150gr TTSX, I doubt they won't give you an exit wound. Hornady Americam Whitetail with the 150gr Interlock. Hornady Superperformance with the 165gr GMX. Nosler E-Tip ammo. Remington HTP Copper amongst others. All of these should cause and exit wound.

I don't know much about 308 AR's but hope this helps

Thank you,
I'm in Maryland and I am anything but a small person.
I'm in Maryland also, welcolme to the site. The 308 win is a good choice for hogs and deer. It's a much better round than it gets credit for and it comes chambered in a variety of guns and actions.

I am NOT a 308 hater so don't string me up folks, but it is pretty boring and while it's good at most things it's not really great at anything other than barrel life.

-I'd go 25-06 if you prefer something fast and flat
-7 Rem Mag if you want to able to really stretch it out
-30-06 or 270 if you want something more classic

I think these all have advantages over the 308. But like most have said there isn't anything wrong with the old classic. Whatever you go with, get a fast twist barrel so you can shoot higher bc bullets if you choose.

I prefer the .30-06 in a rifle, with 150-grain bullets. For a shotgun, I would choose a 12-gauge pump gun using Brenneke slugs.

I prefer the .30-06 in a rifle, with 150-grain bullets. For a shotgun, I would choose a 12-gauge pump gun using Brenneke slugs.

In a bolt gun this is my sentiment, in and AR platform it's going to be a 308 with the exception I like fat heavy bullets. 180gr soft points in 30'06 have killed alot of the deer I have ever shot at, the rest being with a 300 Weatherby. The .308 diameter bullet is hard to beat, but as several have said, bullets and ammo have come a long long way from in just the past decade.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything above a 260 on deer. If someone with little experience is going to be using it or is possibly going to be recoil sensitive, a 270 would be my recommendation.

Never paid attention when visiting Maryland, how big do the deer get there weight wise?

Pigs shot in the triangle below the ear aren't going far and most will drop right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.