Any Elk hunting advice or tips for me??

NorthernSniper

I have hunted moose fairly successfuly and after a 15 year hiatis I am going to try for Elk. Anybody got any good tips or hunting techniques they would like to share? I would normaly try to move quietly through the forest while hunting but this Elk stuff sounds pretty noisy, breaking branches raking trees bugling all pretty foreign to me. Thanks for any helpful tips!
smile.gif

A lot of it depends on how you like to hunt. I have had good and bad luck with bugling, just depends on the elk and the year, but generally I prefer not to bugle. I have found it much more productive to find an already bugling elk and then try to get a visual on him. Only had good luck with cow calls twice and one of those times I called in a bear, so I gave up the cow calls.

Like most animals elk are the most visible in the morning and evening, so my typical day starts off with being somewhere where they may be grazing, like on a nice southeast face. And if they arn't there start walking around quietly through the woods. Come around 2 in the afternoon it is time for a little one hour siesta Then walk around a little more untill an hour before sunset then get yourself back out to a more southwest face and wait till dark.

spot and stalk for Elk is tough at your firt go around... ELk hunting in general is pretty tough.. it also depends on your area, the elk herd and the amount of people hunting the areas you are... your post or profile doesn't say where you're from....

I would without question learn to bugle and cow call.. you don't necessarily have to use it but you may have to rely on it if a big bull gets hung up on a ridge or you spook one...
yes cow calls will bring in a bear but they will also bring in big bulls .. it just depends on who hears it first or who is closer...
there is no need to be bangin' branches and all that crap... 9 times outta 10 you'll sound like a bear and the elk will be gone....
if anything I would learn how to bugle and bugle well.. in dense forest it really helps to locate the bull your after if you cannot get a visual on them. Early morning you 'll hear most bulls bugle but that only gets you a general direction.. if he shuts up before you locate him then what??? well you bugle to get him to bugle again... the trick is not to sound like a BIG bull... especially if the bull you are bugleing to is not the herd bull, or is a satalite bull, if you sound to big.. they'll be gone afraid of getting there *** kicked... only .. ONLY if you locate a big herd bull do you want to sound big and thats only if he gets hung up.. then you fake trying to take his cows.. but now i'm getting into pretty detailed trophy hunting..

anywho.... learn how to call.. you're gonna need it at some point... also find areas without a bunch of yahoo's running around this might mean learning to ride a horse and packing in deep....

hope this helps a bit....

This all depends on if your rifle or archery hunting,most states do not run their rifle season during the rut,and if this is your case stay away from buggling! All this will do is scare him and then he is headed for the next zip code,either way the most important thing to learn as far as calls is the cow call.

With the cow call you not only can call in bulls but you will almost every time be able to stop him if he is spooked and give you a chance for a shot,most of the time even if he has seen you he will stop at the sound of a cow call. This will be short so try to be ready for the shot before you call.

This has saved me more times then I can count!Lot of luck!

Oregonhunter
grin.gif

Listen to what Ric says. He is right on.

If hunting later in the year - late October, November then they will likely not bugle at all unless they have not been bothered.
If in an area with lots of yahoos, then wear plenty of orange, find a place where you can see a lot of country - hopefully overlooking transition zones between feeding and bedding areas - and watch carefully at first light and toward the end of the day. When you see your elk, then use your long range rig and equipment to take it.

Lots of folks have hunted elk. Quite a few have used different techniques. I hunt the same way Ric does, but most don't have the means to do that unless they hire someone. It can be done a few different ways though so learn, apply and have fun.

Thanks for all the helpfull tips guy's!! I am heading into a fairly remote area toward Alaska that looks pretty rugged on the topo's. This will be around Sept. 5, I will stay for a couple weeks and if no luck stay for a third week. Apparently the Elk start Bugling around the 5th and it picks up from there on. Well from what I have gathered to this point I think the plan should be to use a scent killer (can't hurt?) and maybe a bit of earth masking scent while trying to keep the wind in my favour. Next I should bugle to locate a bull and then use a cow call to make him hold his ground or come in. I can take one out to about 500 or 550yds tops with my 300WM and either 168gr TSX or 200gr Accubonds. I will need to range the bull with my mildot scope anybody know how many inches from the top of the back to the bottom of the brisket? I have been told it would be about 2 mills at 500yds which would translate into about 36". These Elk sound more difficult to hunt than Moose or Deer hope I can bag one.
smile.gif

Yep your right,they are a challenge to hunt but they are also one of the most respected trophys were I live! If were you are going to be hunting is remote this can only increase your chances as long as there are good Elk numbers in the area!

Elk are really hunter shy if hunted alot but if you can get away from heavy hunting preasure this always helps.

Depending upon the species your hunting some elk are more vocal than others so be careful not to over call at first,the elk I hunt here in the western part of Oregon are really call shy so a hunter has to be careful not to over do it!

I'm sure that if you are going on a guided hunt your guide will know all the local tricks and tactics but it never hurts to do a little research. Let us know how you do after the hunt!

LOL

Oregonhunter
smile.gif

Spent lots of years hunting elk in Idaho without much success.
Every year I would listed to my brother in law tell me about how he shot his elk and the method he used. I thought he was full of it but could not argue with his success.
So I thought what the heck and tried it.

He goes to a thick timber area N or NE slope near a meadow or bowl that has elk sighnand will sit there for an hour blowing his cow call every couple minutes. If nothing comes in he moves 1/4 mile sets up and does it again.
Usually never takes him more than two or three days for a bull to sneak up on him and give him a shot.

So I tried it with a slight modification.
I walk between spots blowing lots of cow and calf calls and throwing in a spike bugle or two and I only move a couple hundred yards and then set up and reduce calling to every couple minutes. I have shot 4 bulls in 4 years doing this, two 5 points and two 6 points. Also called in two bulls for my friend the same way.
It just works.

As for scents I wouldn't waste much money on it. The elk will smell you if you are downwind.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts