Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters
If you already own the suppressor legally you can by parts for it and not get in trouble with ATF.
Find me a source confirming that or a manufacturer selling internal components.

In the meantime, check out page 16 of the NFA handbook.

"NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a
registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer. However, licensed
manufacturers who are SOTs may possess spare silencer components in conjunction with their
manufacturing operations."

Page 175 also says you can't have replacement parts. It doesn't specifically talk about spare parts, but covers replacement parts for repair.

"Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are "silencers" as
defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA
and GCA."

Find me a source confirming that or a manufacturer selling internal components.

In the meantime, check out page 16 of the NFA handbook.

"NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a
registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer. However, licensed
manufacturers who are SOTs may possess spare silencer components in conjunction with their
manufacturing operations."

Page 175 also says you can't have replacement parts. It doesn't specifically talk about spare parts, but covers replacement parts for repair.

"Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are "silencers" as
defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA
and GCA."

I never said they are selling them and I thought that odd since they are so readily available in other countries.

Show me where each part is individually serialized.

If you already own a suppressor lawfully you can buy the parts for them lawfully to repair or replace them.

You can't claim on the one hand that the external parts are not parts of a suppressor and thus each requires licensing, but the internal components do/are.

I never said they are selling them and I thought that odd since they are so readily available in other countries.

Show me where each part is individually serialized.

If you already own a suppressor lawfully you can buy the parts for them lawfully to repair or replace them.

You can't claim on the one hand that the external parts are not parts of a suppressor and thus each requires licensing, but the internal components do/are.
They don't sell them because they are considered silencers and would need to be transferred on a form 4.

The parts aren't individually serialized when they're sold as part of a serialized unit. They would need to be individually serialized and transferred on a form 4 (assuming they go to a nonlicensee) if they are not sold as part of a complete silencer. No one does that because it doesn't make sense.

I have provided the law passed by the legislative branch and the interpretation used for enforcement by the executive branch that clearly state individual parts that are designed or intended to be used only in silencers are silencers, and purchasing spare or replacement parts would require transfer on a form 4.

Mounts are not considered silencer parts because they aren't designed exclusively for use with silencers. Many companies make blast cans that use the same thread pitch as their silencers.

I don't know why end caps aren't considered silencer parts. As far as I can tell manufacturers started offering interchangeable end caps at a time when the ATF was less hostile, and now that cat's out of the bag so they allow it.

Internal components and tubes are, and always have been, considered silencers. You cannot buy replacement parts without transferring them as a silencer on a form 4, which is why you won't find them for sale. Read the document in the link I posted above.

Recently (late Feb. of this year) the ATF also decided any part intended to be used to manufacture a silencer is a silencer. You used to be able to buy incomplete silencers (sort of like 80% lowers) and complete them after having a form 1 approved, but that's no longer an option. That's a whole other can of worms I don't feel like getting into, but look into the form 1 mass denial from early this year if you're interested.

You might want to look into the Diversified Machine case too. The owner was arrested for selling unregistered silencers because he was selling monocores to be used in form 1 silencers. It doesn't have a happy ending.

The law doesn't make much sense and some parts of it are clear as mud, but replacement and spare parts cross a very clear line that has been drawn for decades. Whether or not you choose to cross that line is up to you, but denying it exists has the potential to hurt others. At this point it is clear to me you are unwilling to accept you are wrong even though I have presented strong evidence that you are wrong. I still feel it's important to make it as clear as possible that you are wrong, and I think I have achieved that. Your comments could lead someone else who reads this thread to unknowingly commit a felony.

Last edited:
When I hunt overseas I always use the rifles of my hosts, and they always shoot with suppressors. I have never had one problem at all with them, and they have all said they would never go back to shooting without a suppressor.

I am late to this Post and did not go through all 132 Threads.
We nhave Suppressors for Rimfire, Pistol and Centerfire.
Reading some of the later posts about Silencer parts are considered a Silencer. We have an "Octane" Suppressor and it has different "Pistons" for 9mm (metric, imperial, reverse threads) and .45 cal. I also have QD Brakes for our YHM Phantom Suppressors.
This is not what I am concerned about.
Is there any reduction in "Barrel Life" from the use of Suppressors? I have seen some discussion that the use of a Suppressor can back gasses up especially in AR platforms and cause extra barrel bolt wear.
Thoughts???

I am late to this Post and did not go through all 132 Threads.
We nhave Suppressors for Rimfire, Pistol and Centerfire.
Reading some of the later posts about Silencer parts are considered a Silencer. We have an "Octane" Suppressor and it has different "Pistons" for 9mm (metric, imperial, reverse threads) and .45 cal. I also have QD Brakes for our YHM Phantom Suppressors.
This is not what I am concerned about.
Is there any reduction in "Barrel Life" from the use of Suppressors? I have seen some discussion that the use of a Suppressor can back gasses up especially in AR platforms and cause extra barrel bolt wear.
Thoughts???

I have not seen any degradation in precision on my MK12 SPR with AEM5 can. No degradation either on the M1A hunter with a legacy Surefire FA762SS I've been using for over a decade.

Of course these are field guns, not benchrest guns. If I can put 90 % in the X ring of the NRA SR target at 200 from a bipod, I am happy.

I have a Hawkeye and Teslong, but I never borescope my own barrels. When I am not happy with precision I just spin another barrel.