Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters
I think cans are cool for the range, but you'll never convince me that I need one, especially for hunting. The $200 tax bill sucks, no question, but not as much as the $800 price tag for a $80 chunk of metal.

On top of being an absolute rip-off, they add 8+ girthy inches and a ton of weight to a rifle that I want to carry under trees, over mountains and through thick brush.
You're looking at the wrong cans. 6 inches and 5oz is a good hunting can.
Take the brick of a scope most people put on their hunting rifle or the boat anchor of a stock off and you'll not notice.
If you carry anything over a 7lb all up gun, then, imo, you don't actually care about weight in your rifle.

I wear hearing protection when I shoot, ear muffs over ear plugs. I certainly understand what you're saying about hearing protection.
That might not keep you from safe from hearing damage. Concussion from shooting a rifle is transmitted through your bones to the inner ear and causes hearing damage. It's mostly an issue with big brakes and enclosed spaces, but it happens with every gun. If you have guns you can feel in your sinuses when you shoot or just shoot a lot you're probably still causing hearing damage. Silencers aren't a cure all but they do a lot to reduce hearing damage that can't be prevented with ear pro.

I would like to get a suppressor, but which one of my rifles would I put it on? My perfect suppressor would be usable on all my rifles. I would work on everything from .224 on up to my .358. I don't have a .375 (yet). I talked to a manufacturer about making a universal can with interchangeable "guts" so it would be efficient for all calibers. He was not receptive to the idea at all. He gave me a song and dance about the ATF would consider every caliber a separate unit and it would be illegal. I disagree, but I'm not a lawyer. I still think that it would be a viable option to alleviate having to have multiple license's
I would like to get a suppressor, but which one of my rifles would I put it on? My perfect suppressor would be usable on all my rifles. I would work on everything from .224 on up to my .358. I don't have a .375 (yet). I talked to a manufacturer about making a universal can with interchangeable "guts" so it would be efficient for all calibers. He was not receptive to the idea at all. He gave me a song and dance about the ATF would consider every caliber a separate unit and it would be illegal. I disagree, but I'm not a lawyer. I still think that it would be a viable option to alleviate having to have multiple license's.
I understand the reason for wanting to have a universal suppressor. However, changing out the "guts" would probably be more trouble than it is worth as some designs are "sealed" to lower the db report. There are suppressors that have interchangeable caps or ends for different calibers, but the smaller caps used for smaller calibers don't have much effect on the amount of suppression. Trying to get a suppressor to span the large range of calibers you listed would also require adapters for the different thread sizes and pitches used on rifle barrels of those calibers; plus the bigger suppressors would be very bulky on the smaller calibers. I hate to say it, but it would be easier and better to have multiple suppressors.

I understand the reason for wanting to have a universal suppressor. However, changing out the "guts" would probably be more trouble than it is worth as some designs are "sealed" to lower the db report. There are suppressors that have interchangeable caps or ends for different calibers, but the smaller caps used for smaller calibers don't have much effect on the amount of suppression. Trying to get a suppressor to span the large range of calibers you listed would also require adapters for the different thread sizes and pitches used on rifle barrels of those calibers; plus the bigger suppressors would be very bulky on the smaller calibers. I hate to say it, but it would be easier and better to have multiple suppressors.
The suppresors I hve in Africa are made so that you can switch out the necessary parts in about two or three minutes. I haven't seen anyone using a similar design yet though in the US.

Considering the cost and PITA of going through the fed's for permission to own one you'd think someone here would have mastered that by now.

The suppresors I hve in Africa are made so that you can switch out the necessary parts in about two or three minutes. I haven't seen anyone using a similar design yet though in the US.

Considering the cost and PITA of going through the fed's for permission to own one you'd think someone here would have mastered that by now.

The ATF regulates the individual baffles as suppressor parts so having multiple sets of internals would be considered the same as having multiple suppressors.

The ATF regulates the individual baffles as suppressor parts so having multiple sets of internals would be considered the same as having multiple suppressors.
Not according to the reg's. Individual parts are not considered suppressors unless the sum total of them would equal a suppressor.

Theoretically at least as long as those parts only add up to a suppressor when fully assembled, you'd only be owning a single suppressor.

The Biden Administration has been trying to rewrite the reg's on a daily basis so who knows... .?

Not according to the reg's. Individual parts are not considered suppressors unless the sum total of them would equal a suppressor.

Theoretically at least as long as those parts only add up to a suppressor when fully assembled, you'd only be owning a single suppressor.

The Biden Administration has been trying to rewrite the reg's on a daily basis so who knows... .?
Not true. From 18 USC §921:

"The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

The ATF's interpretation is that if the parts can be assembled into a single silencer that meets the parameters listed on the form 1 or 2 for that silencer with no spare parts it is a single silencer. This allows modular and user serviceable silencers to be treated as a single silencer. If you can't make a silencer using every part the spare parts are considered silencers on their own. Mounts are generally exempt since they can be used on things other than silencers, and end caps are generally exempt because consistency isn't the ATF's strong suit.

Last edited:
Not true. From 18 USC §921:

"The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

The ATF's interpretation is that if the parts can be assembled into a single silencer that meets the parameters listed on the form 1 or 2 for that silencer with no spare parts it is a single silencer. This allows modular and user serviceable silencers to be treated as a single silencer. If you can't make a silencer using every part the spare parts are considered silencers on their own. Mounts are generally exempt since they can be used on things other than silencers, and end caps are generally exempt because consistency isn't the ATF's strong suit.
Their "interpretation" is in conflict with prior SCOTUS decisions and Federal lower court decisions in which it was ruled that parts of a machinegun do not themselves constitute a machinegun until assembled.

We're also talking here about parts for an existing registered suppressor rather than parts someone could assemble into an illegal suppressor.

Obviously each of the parts themselves are not a new suppressor or they'd all have to be treated as a suppressor when sold which they are not.

Last edited:
Their "interpretation" is in conflict with prior SCOTUS decisions and Federal lower court decisions in which it was ruled that parts of a machinegun do not themselves constitute a machinegun until assembled.

We're also talking here about parts for an existing registered suppressor rather than parts someone could assemble into an illegal suppressor.

The definition of machine gun does not include parts intended to make a machine gun. The definition for silencer includes parts designed or interested to be used in a silencer. Rulings on the definition of machine gun are irrelevant as the definition of silencer is very different than the definition of machine gun. Those definitions were written by Congress, not the ATF.

You're fine if all the parts can be assembled into a single registered silencer. If there's no way to assemble all the parts into a single registered silencer it's a problem.

Last edited:
The definition of machine gun does not include parts intended to make a machine gun. The definition for silencer includes parts designed or interested to be used in a silencer. Rulings on the definition of machine gun are irrelevant as the definition of silencer is very different than the definition of machine gun.

You're fine if all the parts can be assembled into a single registered silencer. If there's no way to assemble all the parts into a single registered silencer it's a problem.
The parts are readily available online. If you already have a legally registered suppressor it isn't going to be a problem as they are not individually serialized.

If we take this far into the ridiculous any piece of 1.5" pipe or larger could be considered a "suppressor" since it could be turned into one.

The parts are readily available online. If you already have a legally registered suppressor it isn't going to be a problem as they are not individually serialized.

If we take this far into the ridiculous any piece of 1.5" pipe or larger could be considered a "suppressor" since it could be turned into one.

Mounts and end caps are readily available as they are not considered silencer parts. See my first response where I specifically addressed mounts and end caps.

You're not going to find anyone selling a monocore or drilled baffles. Those are the parts you'd need to find to make the point you think you're making. You're not even going to find many places selling undrilled baffles nowadays.

Funny enough, the ATF does consider a 1.5" piece of pipe to be a silencer if you cut if off of a longer pipe for the purpose of building a silencer. That was a fairly recent change in their interpretation and probably won't hold up too well if it ever gets challenged.

Last edited:
Mounts and end caps are readily available as they are not considered silencer parts. See my first response where I specifically addressed mounts and end caps.

You're not going to find anyone selling a monocore or drilled baffles. Those are the parts you'd need to find to make the point you think you're making. You're not even going to find many places selling undrilled baffles nowadays.

Funny enough, the ATF does consider a 1.5" piece of pipe to be a silencer if you cut if off of a longer pipe for the purpose of building a silencer. That was a fairly recent change in their interpretation and probably won't hold up too well if it ever gets challenged.
If you already own the suppressor legally you can by parts for it and not get in trouble with ATF.