Sendero 300 RUM; Shoot it, re-barrel it, or build new?

"Dude, just shoot it. By the time you figure out any advantages of this or that, and the barrel is dun burnt up, you'll know a bit more about what will get the job done and won't be asking me . "-----my gunsmith to me.

Clean it up ! Load it up ! And let a few fly...who knows you may get a big surprise and you might save yourself some hard earned money...after all it's a hunting rifle and your NOTbenchrest competition shooter. You got a basketball size target in deer and a beach ball or bigger for elk/moose/caribou...if you can hit those at 500 then it may need some work..

Wow Mudrunner that took some time to list all those ebay barrels!. As a guy who often buys takeoff barrels to machine myself I find the asking prices for the barrels on ebay obscenely high.

I might pay $125-$150 for a fluted Rem sendaro takeoff but a plain one? No way when CDNN has the SS 300 RUM for $29.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/300-rem-ultra-mag-26-sts-new.html#.WdNyp-RDG0E

To the OP,
Put together a starting load with H1000 and work up till you get accuracy. No need to punish yourself with the highest loads. That way you can shoot it without the muzzle brake. My 300 RUM weighs 8.5 lb and recoil isn't bad with the 230s going a mundane 2800 fps. Use an additional pad at the bench if you need it.
slip on pad:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/LIMBSAVER-AIRTECH-SLIP-ON/1996400.uts?slotId=0

The last Sendero that we had sent to us by a customer to do load development shot terrible. Turned out to be the non existent bedding. Got the rifle bedded and it shot sub moa out to 1000y. We also added a nice muzzle brake at the same time.

I agree with previous posts that you should shoot it and see how it is. Then start making decisions as to what to do. I also agree that the 30 Nosler is a step down. There is nothing it can do that the RUM can not. Full tilt loads the Nosler would last longer but with less performance.

Steve

Thanks for all the inputs. Everyone's comment makes sense. No viable reason to spend that much money barreling since I've got the brand new RUM in hand. The Sendero isn't "custom" but seems to be very well built.

Now for brass and dies, what is the best way to go? I've already got a Wilson inline seating die for 300 RUM. I typically use bushing dies, but am open to a non-bushing die as I believe neck tension will be neither lite nor adjusted like with benchrest.

Many thanks,
Terry

Nosler brass
H1000, Retumbo or RL33 depending on bullet choice
I FL size my .300RUM brass, bumping the shoulder back .002". Redding FL bushing die with a .337" bushing for my Nosler brass I use for my 230 Hybrid loads. I have a .336" bushing for my Remington brass I use for my 215 Hybrid loads.

Just did load development for a customer last Saturday with his 300 rum. Factory barrel with a stock upgrade and radial brake as well as a Jewel trigger. Loaded 181g Hammer Hunter with RL-26 to a comfortable 3350fps. Shot 1" at 200y. Will take it out soon to confirm drops.

Steve

The 300 RUM is a great cartridge and a great one for elk, so first I would shoot it and see what it likes. Most rums like the 180 grain bullets because of their barrel contour and some times a 200 grain will work.

VLD bullets are very finicky and sometimes don't shoot very well in some barrels and lots of time and money is spent trying to make a barrel like one bullet when it is not necessary unless you are planning on shooting well over 1000 yards at Elk.

My recommendation would be to shoot bullets in the 180 class with a standard Ojive and don't worry about the small difference in BCs. Load to mag length and let the freebore do its job. Right now Norma Brass is available at a very reasonable price for the RUM and is very good brass.

For normal hunting out to 1000 yards the Accubonds work very well and are extremely accurate. There are other bullets that are also Bonded and have a standard Ojive that could be substituted. don't get tricky just brake the barrel in (If it is new) and if you want a brake have it installed before testing (I recommend a 5/8 24 TPI brake of your choice) and if you re-barrel later this brake can be reused.

The Sendero is also a great rifle to build on because of all the parts you have and all the After market parts that are available for the 700 Rem if you decide to re barrel.

I would not choose any other 30 cal. over the 300 RUM because there is little ballistic differences and no advantage over it. It can be loaded down to 30/06 velocities and recoil and loaded up to blistering velocities and energies for hunting. I have nothing against the other 30,s (I also have a 30/378 and a 30 Texan plus my 300 RUM and they all have there place and are set up for different bullet weights.

I will never sell My 300 RUM to replace it, because I feel it cant be replaced. My 30 Texan was built to hold as much powder as a 300 RUM or a 375 RUM could hold, to push the largest 30 cal. bullets (It will hold 114 to 119 grains of the powders depending on the powder used, so I is just a 300 rum on steroids.

I may be a little Biased as far as the 300 RUM cartridge cases and the Sendero rifles, but I admit it, and as a gunsmith can highly recommend ether.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
What he said!!!

Do the normal things - have the action trued, re crown the muzzle concentric to bore , bed the action, add pillars, swap the trigger to one of your choice and buy lots of H1000 :).

The .300 RUM is nearly impossible to beat for any western big game and the rifle you have is an awesome foundation.

I have two of the same model rifle in the same caliber and both of them shoot great. Put a decent brake or suppressor on it and don't look back.

The Norwest precision MB is very effective at both reducing recoil and muzzle flip and is rather easy on the ears as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Performance-Long-Range-Muzzle-Brakes-1-2x28-5-8x24-for-Rifle-or-Pistol/221311913421?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=520190416845&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I have the slotted version as you see in that picture.
"These high performance NWP brakes have muzzle jump reduction ports at 12 o'clock, and recoil reduction ports at 6&9 o'clock. Our NWP brakes have no ports on the bottom side. (bottom ports kick up dust and negate muzzle jump reduction ports.)

I hope he means they have ports at 3 & 9 because 6 & 9 is just kinda weird.

The RUM is a great cartridge, why rebarrel to a lesser performer with even scarcer brass ?

Wow Mudrunner that took some time to list all those ebay barrels!. As a guy who often buys takeoff barrels to machine myself I find the asking prices for the barrels on ebay obscenely high.

I might pay $125-$150 for a fluted Rem sendaro takeoff but a plain one? No way when CDNN has the SS 300 RUM for $29.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/300-rem-ultra-mag-26-sts-new.html#.WdNyp-RDG0E
Nah, probably 5-10 minutes tops.

Yeah, I think the last couple Sendero SF barrels I bought were around $125. One of which was a brand new take-off. The 5R barrel(s) that I listed are worth probably $200-250, but that's about as much I would be willing to pay. Only because I know how well those 5R Milspec barrels can shoot, and what they actually are. Therefore specialty or hard-to-find take-off barrels I could see paying a bit more for, but regular old dime-a-dozen barrels, nope. Any other factory barrel, I just can't see paying over $100 bill for it, because it's just not worth the risk on a regular factory barrel (regardless of brand).

I agree to shoot it. My 300 RUM has shot great with H1000 and a 215 Berger. But after 17-1800 rounds it's about finished. It will soon be a 338 Edge.

Shoot it. Hammer hunters are fantastic. Any "tangent" ogive bullet should work great.

Of course there is the this barrel likes or doesn't like this bullet thing.

When the barrel is burned out 10 years from now then you can try this decision process again.

I'll turn 55 just days before the 2020 season. I think I'll gear this Sendero up for a birthday elk hunt. Working out of D.C., barrel life isn't a concern for sure. It will be my first elk hunt since 94 when I was stationed in Colorado Springs. I'll bed the action, put a brake on it and pick up a Timney trigger for it some time soon and see how it does.

Thanks again,
Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.