300 RUM vs. 7mm RUM in Sendero

Oh yeah.... you guys do know this is a 4 year old thread right? :rolleyes:
I'm personally thinking of only replying to threads that are at least two years old with a simple "bump" to see if the thread takes off again. You can get all your questions re-answered. It might be interesting; it's been rather dry here the last year with the component shortages.

Zombie thread revival...
What is the shortest barrel life you guys have heard of for a 7 mm RUM, and 300 RUM...
How about the longest barrel life (with sub-MOA accuracy left in the barrel) in the 7mm RUM and 300 RUM?
Thanks

For a couple years now I have been a remington guy for my hunting rifles. Currently I'm shooting a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Rem Magnum, shooting Hornady 139gr BTSP InterLock being pushed by 67.5 grains of powder.
I'm good shooting right now up to 400 yards, and going to keep working on perfecting those shots 0-400 with that rifle.
I'm looking at buying a rifle to shoot a little bit further with, up to probably 700 yards or so. Right now the Sendero is my choice of guns, I just don't know which caliber would be best. I'm hunting whitetail currently, but want to take antelope, elk, mule deer and hopefully moose and bighorn at some point in my life.
I'm looking at the 300 RUM and the 7mm RUM and wanting to know the differences, pros and cons, and suggestions on which performs better for hunting situations like I've described. I'm new to the forums, just joined and figured this is my best resource for information on the two.
Thanks.
For my money go with the 300. The 7mm RUM is so overbore it's a huge waste. When you get to a larger case than the 7mm STW you're past the point of diminishing returns and the little increase you get in performance you really pay for in shortened bore life, recoil and muzzle blast.

The 300 is also much more versatile and will have much better barrel life.

The 300 will also give you much better LR ballistics because of the higher BC bullets and energy down range.

If you just want to throw lightening bolts and not shoot it much the 7mm RUM is fun but to me, It just isn't worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.