300 RUM vs. 7mm RUM in Sendero

muddycreek

For a couple years now I have been a remington guy for my hunting rifles. Currently I'm shooting a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Rem Magnum, shooting Hornady 139gr BTSP InterLock being pushed by 67.5 grains of powder.
I'm good shooting right now up to 400 yards, and going to keep working on perfecting those shots 0-400 with that rifle.
I'm looking at buying a rifle to shoot a little bit further with, up to probably 700 yards or so. Right now the Sendero is my choice of guns, I just don't know which caliber would be best. I'm hunting whitetail currently, but want to take antelope, elk, mule deer and hopefully moose and bighorn at some point in my life.
I'm looking at the 300 RUM and the 7mm RUM and wanting to know the differences, pros and cons, and suggestions on which performs better for hunting situations like I've described. I'm new to the forums, just joined and figured this is my best resource for information on the two.
Thanks.

I have a 300 Rum in a sendero and love it. It is a great shooter. I am very intrigued with the 7mm RUM though, i have heard of people sending 180gr bullets at 3350fps with that thing. Doubt there would be much barrel life though. Don't think you can go wrong either way. Not sure the reloading components are as abundant for the 7 though.

Both are great guns I have both of them and I have a 338 RUM on order. For your distance I would go with the 7mm just because it is a little flatter. But if it was me I would go with a 338, 2x the barrel life and I think out of the three it is the least finicky to develop a load for. Just my thoughts. I am a huge fan of all the RUM I dont think you can go wrong either way. good luck.

Both will get the job done. The 7mm RUM will get you higher BC bullets and higher velocity. The 300 RUM will give but little in the BC department and will hit with more authority at 1000 yards. Again, either will take an elk cleanly at 1000 yds.

So it sounds like at 600 or 700 yards, they're almost identical. So, it will come down to which is burning less powder and which is going to be easier on a barrel over time. what's the verdict on that? Or am I wrong?

A 7mmRM will get you to 700yrds with ease. The others will have more energy though.

Right. I want something that's going to pack a punch when it hits at 700 yards. I know I could make the shots now, but don't have the knockdown energy I want. That's why I'm looking toward one of the ultras.

Why not load a 180 in your 7 Rem and be done with it? I'm all for building and buying guns, but that 7 mag will do 1k deer all day long. I think its pushing the outer limit on elk at that range though.

Between the 300, and the 7mm I would get the 300 due to the much shorter throat life on the 7mm. I have seen some 7mm RUM barrels gone with 600-800rnds through them. Just my opinion.

I can't push much more velocity out of the 7mm RM than what I'm getting right now. 67.5 is max load on it. The energy difference is pretty substantial based on that velocity difference with the ultras, right?

Going from the 139grn to a 160-18o vld style bullet makes a huge difference on game at distance. For 700 yds stick with your 7mag and spend the money on a good shooting school or just some coaching sessions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.