Sendero 300 RUM; Shoot it, re-barrel it, or build new?

You better start applying for bonus points in many of the western states unless You plan on an over the counter elk tag.

Just did load development for a customer last Saturday with his 300 rum. Factory barrel with a stock upgrade and radial brake as well as a Jewel trigger. Loaded 181g Hammer Hunter with RL-26 to a comfortable 3350fps. Shot 1" at 200y. Will take it out soon to confirm drops.

Steve

"These high performance NWP brakes have muzzle jump reduction ports at 12 o'clock, and recoil reduction ports at 6&9 o'clock. Our NWP brakes have no ports on the bottom side. (bottom ports kick up dust and negate muzzle jump reduction ports.)

I hope he means they have ports at 3 & 9 because 6 & 9 is just kinda weird.

The RUM is a great cartridge, why rebarrel to a lesser performer with even scarcer brass ?
It's just a mistake. They look as pictured in the add there.

I've tried a bunch of different types of brakes over the years and settled on these after a good bit of head to head shooting with the various types in the field and at the range.

WIth the ports angling back at that angle it's going to be nasty to shoot and worse on anyone around you.

You won't want to fire it more than once in any sort of enclosed space and you'll need double hearing protection and eye protection as well.
Not one I'd want to shoot.

Ports angled rearwards are loud, and annoying at the range for the people sitting next to you.

But work fantastic to reduce recoil. I just fired a single shot from my 10# 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps with an APA Micro Bast... brake on it last week from an open hillside to take my elk at 662 yards. No hearing protection. It was not obnoxious. My ears were not ringing. But I was able to stay on target, see the muzzle flash through the scope, watch the bull hump up and take off at impact and get a view of the direction he went to help aid in recovery because muzzle jump and recoil were light enough to keep the scope on target @ 20x. He went 50 yards before piling up.

I have a few APA brakes, a couple Badger Thruster brakes, a Hawkins 3 port, and an AxisWorks 3 port mini. All work very well. All are loud.

Ports angled rearwards are loud, and annoying at the range for the people sitting next to you.

But work fantastic to reduce recoil. I just fired a single shot from my 10# 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps with an APA Micro Bast... brake on it last week from an open hillside to take my elk at 662 yards. No hearing protection. It was not obnoxious. My ears were not ringing. But I was able to stay on target, see the muzzle flash through the scope, watch the bull hump up and take off at impact and get a view of the direction he went to help aid in recovery because muzzle jump and recoil were light enough to keep the scope on target @ 20x. He went 50 yards before piling up.

I have a few APA brakes, a couple Badger Thruster brakes, a Hawkins 3 port, and an AxisWorks 3 port mini. All work very well. All are loud.
It's certainly a tradeoff. The larger and more rearward angled the ports the more reduction in recoil but the more unpleasant the blast becomes.

The biggest concern for me however is muzzle flip. Even with my 7mm STW's, 300wm's, 300 Rum's, and 375 Ruger the NWP brakes make them pleasant to shoot recoil wise and do a very good job controlling the muzzle flip.

I've put over 150rds down range from those rifles in a single trip to the range without the slightest bit of soreness nor any fatigue from the blast and that's shooting from a concrete and steel benchrest range.

For one or two shots in the field just about any of them can be tolerable.

Nosler brass
H1000, Retumbo or RL33 depending on bullet choice
I FL size my .300RUM brass, bumping the shoulder back .002". Redding FL bushing die with a .337" bushing for my Nosler brass I use for my 230 Hybrid loads. I have a .336" bushing for my Remington brass I use for my 215 Hybrid loads.

How thick are the necks of your Remington brass compared to your Nosler brass? And, are you turning the necks?

Thanks

I think what happens is that sometime we see the new and improve what ever, this is good as it means we're paying attention.
Most of us middle age to past middle age have taken advantage of changes towards bigger is better.

Yes the 30 Nosler is up towards the top of the food change,,, but so is the RUM. Even the 300 Weatherby is some where in the mix along with that old 338 Winchester.

I think its awesome that these cartrages are out there, but I'd like to put this out there.
Would this incress be a huge improvement,,, maybe a good size jump, or just a fraction. So to speak.

If I still owned my 300 Weatherby Mag, would I switch to the 30 Nosler,,, most likely not,,, why,,, simple. The 300 Whether has taken care of many critters around the world with ease.
Sure it's not a Canon to the 403 Chytech or 338 L,,, but it is a Canon over a 270 and 30/06.

I like most folks dabbled in many cartrages and rifles of the same calibers but different makes to the same makes with different calibers.

Then one night I had a dream.
This dream took me back to where it all started.

The 30/06 canon over the 243. LOL.
Less recoil, frugal brass, fun to shot, from critters to targets way past its capabilities. Of course critters up close that is.

Don't get me wrong, the Nosler is one fine system,,, but so is the RUM along with all the other top 10 in the close category.

When I jumped into F Class shooting this year, I got thinking that I really should of taken on the range approved 338 Lazzarony thing,,, then after shooting my first ever match I soon realized that a old school 308 Winchester 32" long barrel at 18 lbs would place me in the 3rd for bronze. Who-da thunk.

I guess the 30/06 hunting rifle over the 308 F Class match rifle are pretty much neck and neck,,, but the 308 puts me into F-FTR as the Ought-6 would of sent me to F-Open.
This would be bad for me as I'm just getting started.

Anyways, I think what ever you choose will work, it's your plan as our input is just ideas,,, only you will decide what path your on. As for me, I left the magnum world to never return due to age and comfort zone.

Old school, practical, frugal and endless days weeks, months, and yesrs shooting targets and game.
All of us find what we're after,,, that's what really counts.

Good luck on your quest of what ever it is. That's what really counts.

Western Canada pal Don at frugal when I can find it.

I think what happens is that sometime we see the new and improve what ever, this is good as it means we're paying attention.
Most of us middle age to past middle age have taken advantage of changes towards bigger is better.

Yes the 30 Nosler is up towards the top of the food change,,, but so is the RUM. Even the 300 Weatherby is some where in the mix along with that old 338 Winchester.

I think its awesome that these cartrages are out there, but I'd like to put this out there.
Would this incress be a huge improvement,,, maybe a good size jump, or just a fraction. So to speak.

If I still owned my 300 Weatherby Mag, would I switch to the 30 Nosler,,, most likely not,,, why,,, simple. The 300 Whether has taken care of many critters around the world with ease.
Sure it's not a Canon to the 403 Chytech or 338 L,,, but it is a Canon over a 270 and 30/06.

I like most folks dabbled in many cartrages and rifles of the same calibers but different makes to the same makes with different calibers.

Then one night I had a dream.
This dream took me back to where it all started.

The 30/06 canon over the 243. LOL.
Less recoil, frugal brass, fun to shot, from critters to targets way past its capabilities. Of course critters up close that is.

Don't get me wrong, the Nosler is one fine system,,, but so is the RUM along with all the other top 10 in the close category.

When I jumped into F Class shooting this year, I got thinking that I really should of taken on the range approved 338 Lazzarony thing,,, then after shooting my first ever match I soon realized that a old school 308 Winchester 32" long barrel at 18 lbs would place me in the 3rd for bronze. Who-da thunk.

I guess the 30/06 hunting rifle over the 308 F Class match rifle are pretty much neck and neck,,, but the 308 puts me into F-FTR as the Ought-6 would of sent me to F-Open.
This would be bad for me as I'm just getting started.

Anyways, I think what ever you choose will work, it's your plan as our input is just ideas,,, only you will decide what path your on. As for me, I left the magnum world to never return due to age and comfort zone.

Old school, practical, frugal and endless days weeks, months, and yesrs shooting targets and game.
All of us find what we're after,,, that's what really counts.

Good luck on your quest of what ever it is. That's what really counts.

Western Canada pal Don at frugal when I can find it.
Well said but I'm not going backwards from my 300wm's or 300 Rum's. I still prefer faster and flatter.

I can't however see jumping from what I have to the newest, latest, coolest to hit the market either. You aren't gaining anything really over the existing choices and it gets very expensive.

I agree with both Don and Rose...

The .308 Win is often overlooked these days for the newer crazes.

And I agree with Rose that faster and flatter is always a positive thing. Which is why I still keep a hot 1/4-bore sitting around. It is one of the few cartridges that I've found going backwards was not a compromise. The .25-06 AI is hanging right up there with the .257 Wby that I had. Both have/had 26" barrels. And were within 100 fps of each other. But other than a slight drop in MV, every advantage goes to the .25-06 AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.