Rifles For Target/Varmint

Azshios84

Alright, So Ive been looking at some rifles for quite some time now, and I really want to get a really good accurate rifle. Im going to be plinking pests and punching holes in paper. I would really prefer a heavy barrel or fluted because ill most likely be shooting from a bench or prone 80% of the time, But anything works. I have been recommended the 300 Win, 6.5x284, 6.5 Norma, 308 Win, 22-250, and the 25-06. Ill be shooting in Idaho, so EXTREMELY windy most of the time. I currently have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 223 and havent had anything good come out of the rifle, plus I want a slightly different round anyways. My family already has reloading dies for 22-250, 25-06. But I wouldnt mind the larger rounds either, and my family also has experience reloading .308 and .300 Win. I just want a good accurate out of the box rifle. If I get the 308 I will have a gunsmith rig the rifle with a muzzle break and etc etc. Years to come ill be free floating, glass bedding, pillar bedding, or whatever to make the gun even more accurate. I have also heard that Liljas barrels are extremely reliable match grade barrels, that might be a addition for years to come. But for the mean-time I would really like a out of the box reliable rifle. My top choices have been:
-Savage Model: 12 VLP DBM in 22-250 (1:9 or 1:12 Twist)
-Savage Model: 110 Predator Hunter Max 1 in 6.5x284 (1:8 Twist)
-Savage Model: 111 Long Range Hunter in 25-06 or 6.5X284 (1:10 for 25, 1:8 for 6.5)
-Savage Model: 10 Precision Carbine in .308 win (1:10 twist)
-Howa : Axiom Heavy Barrel Varminter, Either in 22-250 20 or 24" barrel or .308 Win 20 or 24" barrel.
-Howa : Hogue Heavy Barrel Varminter in 22-250 or .308 Fluted Barrel
-Ruger M77 Mark II Target Rifle in 25-06 (1:10 Twist)
-Sako 85 Stainless Varmint Series in 22-250 or 308. (14" Twist for 250, 11" Twist for 308)
-Wetherby - Vanguard Varmint Special in 22-250 or 308 Win. (1:14 Twist for 250, 1:12 for 308)
-Wetherby - Vanguard SUB-MOA TR in 308 (1:12 Twist)
-Tikka - T3 Varmint 22-250, 25-06, 300 Win, 308 Win. (1:14 for 250, 1:10 for -06, 1:11 for 308, and 1:11 for 300)
-Tikka - T3 Super Varmint (Pretty much the same data from the previous varmint Tikka)
-Tikka - T3 Sporter ( I would not mind this rifle in a 308, but it would probably break the bank. I have never seen one in Idaho also.)
-Remington : Sendero SF II, Varmint SF, VLS, VS SF II are also considerations, But I do not want to get another Remington and have major problems with it like my current one.
-Side Note: Any AR build rifles in any of these calibers that are accurate im also willing to look at. Sorry there is so much variety, But its just what ive been recommended and wanted to take all factors into play.

Im also willing to replace stocks and triggers if that helps any.

Im also open to any other suggestions, but im looking just for a good shooter, I dont want some rifle thats going to cost me more than 1500$. But Thanks for Any input and feedback.

My Savage 12 LRPV in .223 with 1-7" twist shoots fantastic groups with 80 gr. Berger VLD's. I am using it as a factory class in 500M groundhog shoots. Got some wood to show for it.

My first pick would be the savage 110 predator hunter, no need to change stocks or triggers, just add a sightron or vortex scope and you have a great package.

Second would be the 111 long range hunter but in 300wm, no need to change stocks or triggers and already has a muzzle brake.

Either of the above will be a good route to start with the optics mentioned on similar and still not be much more than 1500 with everything.

If those don't catch your eye I'd take the vanguard sub MOA!

the best of your list are the sako 85 however it is more than your $1500 limit. the savage lrpv 9 twist 22-250; the sendero in the caliber of your choice and the sakotikka super varmint.

You've got a pretty good list together IMO. I have a howa and like it a lot/shoots great. The vanguard (nearly ident. twin to the howa) is a great option too. I'm not sure where in Idaho you are, but I was in the Sportsman's in I.F. and they're closing out their standard vanguards for $350 in anticipation of the new vanguard S2 they'll have in stock in the near future. IMO that is a heck of a deal, and I wish I had the $350.

Keep us posted on what you get.

I'd take a look at the CZ 550 Varmint.I've got one in a 308 and I really like it.They also come with a set trigger that is factory set at less than 1 lb. and instructions on how to adjust the regular trigger to your liking.Recoil with the 308 is very light with the heavy barrel and I wouldn't put a break on it.CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Varmint

Im really considering:
-Weatherby SUB MOA Matte in 22-250, 300 win, or 308
-Howa Hogue Heavy Barrel Varminter in 22-250 or .308 Win

Whats your pros and cons to these rifles? These are what I like the most, and they still give me wiggle room for the scope and stay within my price range.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have a Howa/Hogue 22.250 which came with the Nikko scope. It was too good of a deal to pass. I thought to myself, I'll just replace the scope and never look back. In actuality, the scope is still on it and is really a pretty good scope for what it is. I'd want more scope if I was shooting out past 500yds, but it does fine. All I've done is play with the trigger weight a little. I breaks right at about 2lbs and is a great walking coyote rifle. Very accurate rifle.

I'm guessing you're aware the Vanguard and Howa are twins. One has a fluted bolt, one does not. The howa has a 3 position safety, Vanguard 2. The vanguards usually have 24'' barrel, many of the howas have 22'', but not all.

FWIW some places are closing out the Vanguard in anticipation of the new S2 Vanguards. I was in the Sportsman Warehouse in Idaho Falls a week ago and they were moving the Vanguards for $350. Let us know what you decide; the two you've listed above should be execellent regardless of your choice.

@ntg
Alright thanks. Theres a Howa 1500 Heavy Varmint in 308 20" barrel and I think Im gonna go with that. Maybe later this summer Ill buy the CZ 550. Thanks for the help.

What issues do you have with Remington? I shoot what used to be SPS Varmint, 26" varmint barrel, it shoots bugholes all day long, no issues 2000 rounds down. I had major issues with Howa, I don't buy them anymore.
Also I'm getting very close giving up on Savage, its second strike for them.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a Winchester 70 action rifle. Most reliable of all and has the best track record of any shoulder-fired box magazine rifle for durability, accuracy, stiffness/rigidity and all sorts of good stuff. Get a used one then have it rebarreled to 6.5x284. I must admit, Winchester barrels just ain't all that great for accuracy.

Almost any of the ones you listed is capable of producing the desired results.

If you want guarantees, then consider something like a Cooper. You will pay a bit of a premium. But, they will stand behind the product.

If you are adventurous, you may be able to procure a used rifle and get it rebarrelled, restocked, and accurized into a nice semi-custom within your budget.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of good optics.

-- richard

My Remi SPS 700 wont feed any round that ill put into it, handloaded nor factory. Ive had a few people say its a headspace issue, but when I sent it back to remington to have them take a look at it, they said nothing was wrong. Im positive im feeding it .223 not 5.56, So I really doubt thats the issue too. Ive heard really good things on the Howa 1500s, Ive seen a few threads that say Howas are cheap crap, But ive also seen a bunch of threads stating that Howa 1500 is an excellent rifle for its price. The reason being I dont mind starting off with this lower end rifle is because i will probably replace the stock, the barrel and trigger eventually. I just want something at the moment that I can just plink chucks all day. I dont need a rifle thats going to shoot .3 MOA, I mean if I could find a rifle that would do that in my price range, hell tell me. But a lot of them are like 1,200 base price. But ill look at the rifles posted in the last few comments, but im still sincerely considering this Howa. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.