Savage Target LRP vs. Varmint VLP?

wilkup

I'm hoping to find the practical differences between these two action styles. I'm in the process of brainstorming my next build and have narrowed it down to these 2 actions, but am having serious difficulty finding the LRP and may settle on a VLP just to get the project rolling.

The other option I'm possibly considering is purchasing a single shot target action and having the base milled out and converted to a repeater at some point down the line if I'm unable to find the LRP I actually want.

Will there be any practical accuracy differences between the two actions?

Would the VLP need to be trued/timed?

Hard to help you, since you say nothing about the purpose you have in mind for the rifle.

For single shot best accuracy potential, you want a target single shot action. They are easy to buy in this configuration, Buds has them ready to go for $455.

If you intend to hunt a variety of different ranges and want to have a quick follow up shot capability, or shoot tactical, then simply buying a 12 VLP will save a lot of cost and time. Possibly order your match barrel ahead of time, screw off the unfired 26" fluted varmint barrel (people are willing to pay something for those, especially if new), screw on and headspace your match barrel, bed the action, adjust the trigger and you are ready to go.

My VLP came with a target accutrigger, I do not know if that is standard. It is the only trigger that I ever had to adjust close to the maximum of its pull force, since I use it in the field. I was not comfortable with such a light trigger for a field weapon. But adjusting it was just a 5 minute job.

Just this week, I have been advising my former boss at work who is wanting to build a long range rifle. My suggestion was the model 12 VLP in 243 Win, the swap the barrel to a Shilen 6.5x47 Lapua. He would be in business for $858 - $180 + $319 = $997 + some brass, dies, etc.

I would not personally buy a Savage factory target rifle. The barrel is going to be so-so and you are already paying a premium price. I think for the single shot it is better to buy the action, order the large shank barrel, get the stock you want, replace the nut and lug with NSS precision replacements then put the whole thing together, headspace it yourself, and bed it properly. Then you should have no troubleshooting to do on a factory rifle and the barrel should be perfect for what you have in mind.

I plan on using this as a long range hunter/target rifle.

I'm still deciding on which caliber to run through it but have settled on something based on the WSM case.

I reload my own stuff.

I don't want to the whole setup, just the action. I have a stock and will be purchasing a barrel to complete the setup on my own.

Is the VLP action (stainless varmint action) a better choice for the direction I'm trying to head?

Would I need to get it tuned to perform at an optimal level?

If you are not intending on doing short range shooting with it, then a single shot is without a doubt technically better. It is substantially stronger and more rigid than any magazine fed version. It has to be without the huge openings that are cut into the action for the magazine and top loading/eject.

The target action has a better surface to bed effectively in a stock. Feeding any of the WSM cartridges from a magazine is iffy anyhow, there is a reason for the aspect ratio of typically military cartridges and that is for reliable feeding. Feeding in a single shot is going to be universally fine.

Carrying enough ammo at the ready for a fast follow up shot is no problem, generally 3 rounds is enough and the second round can be in your hand when taking the first shot. Consider that the double rifles used by professional hunters in Africa for decades only allowed 2 shots and typical range was in feet and not hundreds of yards.

If you are thinking of using a varmint action, it is really no different to many thousands of model 10's and model 12's that have been built for over 10 years. Certainly nothing special except it is stainless and possibly has the small shank barrel tenon and a target accutrigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.