Good rifle for hunting and target shooting?

pluto

Hello,

I've been doing a little research, and I'm trying to find a rifle that would be good for hunting whitetail deer, but also for target shooting at the range outside of hunting season. Here are a few details of what I'm looking for:

1) I will reload my own ammo.

2) I want something chambered in .308 for target shooting at 300+ yds.

3) A composite stock for durability in the field.

4) I don't want to pay a retarded amount for an accuracy international type of rig. I was thinking anywhere from $1000 to $1800.

5) Based on what I've seen so far, I'm considering both the Weatherby Accumark, or a Remington 700.

6) I really like the look of the stainless fluted barrels and the spiderweb pattern composite stock on the Weatherby.

7) I also like that the bolt lift on the Weatherby is only 54 degrees.

8) I don't want something that feels like a toy gun (hollow plastic type cheap stock feeling).

I know this is a lot to ask for all in one rifle, but any suggestions? If you suggest a Remington, which model would best suit my purposes in your opinion? Any experience with either of these rifles?

Weatherby Accumark or Remington Sendero is where I would look.

I own several Weatherbys, though not an Accumark. I really want one of those next. I do not recall ever hearing a bad report on the accuracy of one of these, and it is the lighter of the two choices. I absolutely love the 54 degree bolt throw and the smoothness of the Mark V action. I see that there is one used one on Gunbroker now, and I can't recall seeing one previously (but I haven't looked for a 308, either). I toss around getting another 7mm Wby mag or going for a 300 or 340 Wby mag...

I own one Rem 700, a Sendero. As others here will note they are very accurate for a factory long range rifle. However, not available in .308 which apparently puts it out of contention for you. And, it's a few pounds heavier than an Accumark.
You might want to look at the "Varmint SF" Remington if you're stuck on the .308 as your choice. It's the only Rem available that meets your criteria - unless you decide to have a custom rifle built for you.

That's what I see as your choices.

Hello,

I've been doing a little research, and I'm trying to find a rifle that would be good for hunting whitetail deer, but also for target shooting at the range outside of hunting season. Here are a few details of what I'm looking for:

1) I will reload my own ammo.

2) I want something chambered in .308 for target shooting at 300+ yds.

3) A composite stock for durability in the field.

4) I don't want to pay a retarded amount for an accuracy international type of rig. I was thinking anywhere from $1000 to $1800.

5) Based on what I've seen so far, I'm considering both the Weatherby Accumark, or a Remington 700.

6) I really like the look of the stainless fluted barrels and the spiderweb pattern composite stock on the Weatherby.

7) I also like that the bolt lift on the Weatherby is only 54 degrees.

8) I don't want something that feels like a toy gun (hollow plastic type cheap stock feeling).

I know this is a lot to ask for all in one rifle, but any suggestions? If you suggest a Remington, which model would best suit my purposes in your opinion? Any experience with either of these rifles?

I am also a big Mark 5 Weatherby fan (Accumark) but the price is a little steep new.

Remington makes a nice rifle that should do everything you want for about $900.00
called a 700 VLS with a laminated stock and a 26" varmint weight barrel in 308 Win.

The laminate stocks have good balance and are very tough. Plus with a good bedding
job they can be very accurate.

J E CUSTOM

Pluto,

There are several offerings in the .308 that meet your criteria as well as budget. I like the Weatherby but found it overpriced for what you get. The Remington is a fine weapon for the price and will not bankrupt you. However, in the last couple of years I have become increasingly fond of the Savage line-up. They offer a tactical stock, fluted stainless barrelled rifle with accutrigger for about $700. I now own 3 of their .308's and the 110BA .338 Lapua. All of them shot sub MOA out of the box with Match ammo. Ultimately it comes down to preference and you would most likely be happy with any of the above, but try the Savage. Spend the difference on upgrading you scope!

I am also a big Mark 5 Weatherby fan (Accumark) but the price is a little steep new.

J E CUSTOM

It seems like the majority of Accumarks on Gunbroker were purchased new, taken on one hunt, and sold. I wouldn't buy a new one either - they're half price on Gunbroker every day. :D
The 308 I was referring to is used - $900.

If you get a Remington I would recommend the Milspec 5r
I've never heard of one that didn't shoot well.

I am a big fan of Savage and their tactical 308 s are also excellent
for accuracy. And very resonably priced.

I have a few weatherby s and like them alot but they are not
for target shooting since the barrels are a smaller contour.
I rebarreled one and put it in a bell and carlson tactcical stock
now it is an awesome shooter.

i don't think the accumark comes in 308(i could be wrong) . it is a good gun. barrel is not as heavy of a contour as a sendero. i think weatherby makes something called the "super varmint" in 308 though. if you are planning on a 308 caliber 700 remington : i would not get a sps varmint; because of the stock. get a 5-r , a 700 vs or a 700vssf.

Ditto others on the Savage tactical series 10FP. It has a heavy barrel which isn't fun to carry very far but I bought it mostly to target shoot with. Accuracy on mine is MOA out to 400 when I do my part and the wind cooperates.

sorry i was wrong they do make a 308 accumark. i see the accumark as a light accurate gun more for hunting than target. the .257 is near perfect for a coues rifle. with your budget you could get a remington 700 vs,vssf or 5-r and have a krieger or a hart barrel installed. they really shoot.

Some old man at the range once told me "Two types of rifle: shot alot & carried a little vs. carried alot & shot a little". A hunting rifle is usually light with acceptable accuracy and a target rifle is heavy with accuracy due to a heavy stiff barrel.

Since you did state .308, an excellent round for both target shooting and hunting, I would recommend a shorter barrel. The .308 does not give up much velocity by dropping to a twenty inch barrel. This is what I bought:

Centerfire Rifles - Tactical - Model 700 XCR Compact Tactical - Remington Rifles

"XCR" stands for Extreme Condtions Rifle and is weather resistant coated stainless steel, it has a short and stiff barrel, and Remington's 40x target trigger (nicest factory trigger I've ever shot). Most importantly, it weighs under nine pounds scoped and also is very handy with it's carbine length.

The .308 is adequate for most North American game and the round is 1000 yard target shooting capable even in that short little barrel (use FGGM 175gr rounds). I find it to be a perfect compromise for the question you asked, and mine shoots right around 1/2 MOA. The Remington 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle) from their Tactical is the same basic rifle in chrome-moly instead of stainless, and still has the 40X trigger (since late 2009) for a couple hundred dollars cheaper. There is much more web info on the LTR since it has been out longer, they are historically very accurate, usually 3/4 MOA or better-look 'em up.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.