Rifles For Target/Varmint

Good choice mate, I reckon once you start reloading for it and work out what it likes, you will be very happy with the results! Most of them can shoot under 1moa or better with some fine tuning and good trigger and breathing control. The triggers on the Howas can be a bit on the heavy side (4lb) so if you want tighter groups adjust it so its lighter, which is an easy thing to do.

The actions are good and just make sure you clean the barrel before you use it for the first time, you should always do that before you use any rifle, I think this can make a difference in accuracy as there are always some fine particles for the machining process.

I can happily recommend the Boyds stocks if you want to upgrade later on, they are well made and beautifully finished for the money, very happy with that decision.

Good luck with it mate and I hope she shoots as well as mine does.

Thanks Scott.
Yeah, Going to start reloading after I get all of the brass and etc etc. I know to clean the barrel before shooting it a first time, But is it better to do the shoot one, clean and repeat that a few times. Then shoot five, clean, and repeat. For proper barrel break in?

Hi mate,

Yep that all I did was clean if for the first time before ever shooting it and then as you are going to do, shoot 1 clean, id did that for the first 20 shots, then I shot 2 and cleaned for the next 10-15 rounds, then shot 5 cleaned for the next 10-15 rounds and that was it for me, once the barrel started to show signs of less fouling it was good to go as far as I was concerned.

Good luck with it mate, just make sure you get the bullet seating depth adjusted right for your rifle and I think it will shoot fine for you.

Good luck mate

get a cz they allways shoot , cz are more popular around here than remington, howa, vanguard, winchester etc. i was a remington shooter but after many extraction problems in diferent rifles in pass years wile hunting, i changed to winchester and cz , mauser actions allways extract the case, even if you have a dirt chamber or some expantion on the case.

savage it's another good option, savage actions are the easiest to work with wen you are changing barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.