Remington 5R

Much has been posted on this site about the Milspecs, but I'm compelled to be redundant. Based on three (308's) used for factory class competition owned over a ten+ year period and one more recently acquired 300WM, which continues to be my go-to LR rig for large game, I would answer YES! All my MilSpec rifles were sub .5MOA with little fuss, clean quickly, and hold accuracy for at least 200 rounds between cleanings. Put a bore scope in a MilSpec barrel, then compare it to.a standard fare Remington, or most any other factory class barrel from the usual suspects.

Mr. Overkill , also check Grab-A-Gun for prices and also send me a quote on their site sometimes they offer discounts not shown on price list . If you are a vet or law enforcement check for Blue discount as well . 5-R's on all my builds , I like them !

Yes my 5-R Kreiger puts 5 in 3/8" O.D . hole and measures 1/16 C.C. , Mcmill 5 stock , 1 lb. trigger , L.H. Brwn. A-bolt action , 5-25 NF ATACR MOA , 165 gr. federal TBT or Federal 175 edge TLR . hunting loads

I've heard that the 5R's Remington sells are the one that don't pass the MilSpec to pass off to the military. Don't know how true that is as a retired Marine (1997) 5R's were the new standard for the new sniper rifles. I got a couple and they clean a lot easier and may be better then a standard barrel. They ideal behind it more or less is offset in the angle in the lands and groves stabilizes the round faster with out undo stresses applied to it.

I've heard that the 5R's Remington sells are the one that don't pass the MilSpec to pass off to the military. Don't know how true that is as a retired Marine (1997) 5R's were the new standard for the new sniper rifles. I got a couple and they clean a lot easier and may be better then a standard barrel. They ideal behind it more or less is offset in the angle in the lands and groves stabilizes the round faster with out undo stresses applied to it.
That was just some more internet BS used to muddy up Remingtons sales.

The FIRST couple years of special very limited runs were built with overrun/B-stock M24 & M40 barrels that had been re-contoured down to the Rem Varmint/Sendero profile. They were so popular, and so known for precision accuracy, that they quickly became a limited run production rifle, and got A-stock barrels right out out of the M24/M40 pile. So, as long as yours was built after like 2005, then yours does not have a "reject" barrel on it. It has an A-stock barrel from the top-shelf rack. ;)

That was just some more internet BS used to muddy up Remingtons sales.

The FIRST couple years of special very limited runs were built with overrun/B-stock M24 & M40 barrels that had been re-contoured down to the Rem Varmint/Sendero profile. They were so popular, and so known for precision accuracy, that they quickly became a limited run production rifle, and got A-stock barrels right out out of the M24/M40 pile. So, as long as yours was built after like 2005, then yours does not have a "reject" barrel on it. It has an A-stock barrel from the top-shelf rack. ;)

Which I believe cause my 700 Magpul in 308 with the Nikon P308 will shot 1/2 3 rounds @ 100 and the 5R Gen 2 in 300 Nightforce @ 300 is amazing if I do my part plus I like the fact I can go really heavy for a 30 cal. I've heard some say heavy but I guess that depends on the individual

What makes a rifle 'more accurate'?

To me its the about being able to fine tune the ammo & the technique.

Often 95% of the time most rifles are more accurate than the shooter can be!!
This is true if your talking about top of the line rifles from each of the top companies. Some of the 2nd and third tier rifles can be easily and fairly cheaply made to shoot very well.
I have a WeatherBug Vanguard in 270 Win that I won in a raffle that wouldn't shoot a 2"MOA. I refloated the barrel, dressed up the crown on the barrel and did some adjusting on the factory trigger and it now shoots sub 1/2"MOA with the same loads I had previously worked up for my Pre64 Featherweight. All it cost me was a little time and effort. My Pre 64 is now put up in a vault for my grandkids to fight over.
Just for the record, I agree that the 5R is an extremely accurate out of the box rifle. I wish Remington would do something about their new triggers though. They are awful touchy to adjust.

Forgive my ignorance, I only have Rem 700 & Win 70 rifles. Is 8.5 lbs considered heavy for a long action hunting rig?
Not really unless you want a true mountain rifle. I've toted an old Model 70 African in 7mm RM around for 40 years that weighs out over 10.5 fully decked out and loaded.

So do you think a 5R is better than any other manufacturers who reportedly guarantees something like 1/2moa accuracy.
Even in a sub $1000 rifle!

It means jack s@#t really because there are so many other factors involved.

Its all a way of drawing you in really.

I did read a long time ago that the Rem R5 barrels were basically over runs from higher end M40 & above rifles.
Ok not sure if that was ever the case or still the case but I wouldn't be banking on a rifle being anymore accurate because of the 5R thing.

Id put my standard Rem 700 or even any of my Tikka's against any 5R rifle any day!

So do you think a 5R is better than any other manufacturers who reportedly guarantees something like 1/2moa accuracy.
Even in a sub $1000 rifle!

It means jack s@#t really because there are so many other factors involved.

Its all a way of drawing you in really.

I did read a long time ago that the Rem R5 barrels were basically over runs from higher end M40 & above rifles.
Ok not sure if that was ever the case or still the case but I wouldn't be banking on a rifle being anymore accurate because of the 5R thing.

Id put my standard Rem 700 or even any of my Tikka's against any 5R rifle any day!
There is no sense in getting defensive about this.
There are some advantages to the 5R rifles. Less stress on the bullet in the barrel, less fouling and, I would imagine, with less stress on the bullet,there is less heat bult up in the barrel.
All of us who have been around a fair few years have rifles we bought new that are better than fair shooters.
5R is just an improvement in rifling that offers a potential benefit to all standard production rifles.
Keep it cool brother and keep on shooting.

There is no sense in getting defensive about this.
There are some advantages to the 5R rifles. Less stress on the bullet in the barrel, less fouling and, I would imagine, with less stress on the bullet,there is less heat bult up in the barrel.
All of us who have been around a fair few years have rifles we bought new that are better than fair shooters.
5R is just an improvement in rifling that offers a potential benefit to all standard production rifles.
Keep it cool brother and keep on shooting.
Not getting defencive mate, just stating fact.
As mentioned there are plenty of makers preaching so called 'guaranteed' accuracies.
But its you that determines that!
Can anyone show me significant proof the 5T rifling is any more accurate than another type or groove configuration?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.