Remington 5R advice

Interesting read fellas. I have the 5R in 300wm. Full bedded in Metallic epoxy. Nightforce SHV 5-20, timney trigger. I run Woodleigh 180 grain at 3000 FPS for bush hunting and Hornady 208 ELD for long range at 2940FPS. It shoots the ELD into an 8 mm group at 100 m
My only gripe about this rifle is that it rusts I have to keep it oiled Or lanolin coated all the time. I have never had this problem with my Sako in 10 years. My Remington will rust after two days in the bush and if you go to the tropics Or it rains then you have to do this daily
I don't understand why everyone wants to put a break on a rifle it's no good if you're hunting with friends or a dog I don't have friends but I have a dog.

Last edited:
**** I want one now! Anyone got a 5R in .308 they want to get rid of? How about the .300BO remington 700??
Had mine since 2010, but no chance I'd get rid of it... With handloads it's regularly shot 3-shot groups in the .1xx" range at 100...

I recommend getting one. They're like the best kept secret Remington has.

Interesting read fellas. I have the 5R in 300wm. Full bedded in Metallic epoxy. Nightforce SHV 5-20, timney trigger. I run Woodleigh 180 grain at 3000 FPS for bush hunting and Hornady 208 ELD for long range at 2940FPS. It shoots the ELD into an 8 mm group at 100 m
My only gripe about this rifle is that it rusts I have to keep it oiled Or lanolin coated all the time. I have never had this problem with my Sako in 10 years. My Remington will rust after two days in the bush and if you go to the tropics Or it rains then you have to do this daily
I don't understand why everyone wants to put a break on a rifle it's no good if you're hunting with friends or a dog I don't have friends but I have a dog.

I am a fan of the Sako rifles, my M995/TRG-S in .300 WM is a rock solid performer and have been exposed in extreme element without any issues.

Muzzle brake is definitely not for everybody; it's personal preference and application dependent. In my neck of he woods, hunting with dogs except for mountain lion hunting is prohibited. Despite varying hunting styles and conditions, let's not forget the website is still a long range hunting shooting and should have plenty of time for the required or recommended personal protection equipment (PPE, hearing and eye protection).

With or without muzzle brake, PPEs is still recommended for both human and your dog companion (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/mu...&creative=76141183015600&device=c&matchtype=e). I personally think dogs need the same protection if not more than the human because of their keen sense of hearing over humans. Just saying, cheers!

The ONLY additions I make to ALL my Remingtons are Calvin Elite triggers and PT&G one piece stainless bottom metal. I don't buy blued CM 700's.
I can't fathom why Remington insist on supplying top priced guns with cheap cast alloy/painted bottom metal, it's junk at best.

I have several custom F-Class rifles built before the plethora of custom actions were available, all are on Rem 700 S/S actions, both SA & LA.
Last year in Dec, the LGS had a special order custom shop 5R in a Sendero II stock with a Jewel already installed, couldn't pass it up, so that's the only one I have. Barrel isn't fluted, exactly how I like it.
Total weight loaded and scope with PT&G bottom metal is just over 12lbs.

Cheers.
:)

Ok my 5R came home today. I'm sure someone has already done so for a 5R but I was planning on taking pictures and posting here on each step I take from out of the box to load development.

Im looking forward to seeing the process

I have owned three Milspecs in 308 and one in 300WM over the past 10+years. The 308 enabled me to shoot factory(barrel) class Egg Shoot competition which is why so many. Just sold, or parted out the burned out rifle(2200-2400 rounds), and replaced it with a new factory rifle. Still use the 300 WM for hunting. All shot sub.5MOA right out of the box. With the Pre-Mark X triggers, I tuned the original stock trigger. Mark-X triggers were canned and replaced by Jewels. Early on, I used the HSP stock which worked fine, but ultimately upgraded to a Mcmillan M40. Same load was used in all three 308's with identical results. 168 SMK, 43gr Varget or iMR4895, Federal 210/Lapua Brass, 2.8"COAL. No fuss or fiddling around to achieve consistent 300 yard hits on an egg. Photo showing Factory 168 Match and reloads with IMR4895.
1007CE07-8DDF-4A86-9C29-136A0ECC4024.jpeg

Last edited:
I swapped stocks last night to the Grayboe Terrain. I'll take some pics and post them--looks REALLY sharp imho.

ok. so I took my new 5R out of the box to start the process. first off this rifle showed up even better than I expected. it has a jeweled bolt and the texturing of the HS precision stock is quite nice. there is a lot of green web in the stock which in my eye adds to the look of the stock better than a plain black stock. the fit and finish are great. the only thing I found was that the hole for the rear action screw had a small machining burr. the fit of the recoil lug is rather loose and will require at a minimum a recoil lug bedding job. the trigger is typical Remington in that if this were a regular hunting rifle the trigger would be fine. for a precision rifle and someone who's been spoiled with a timney not so much. also all the labeling on the barrel appears to be laser cut instead of stamped or rolled on.
20180628_162628.jpg
20180628_162658.jpg
20180628_162705.jpg
20180628_162752.jpg
so far I have only cleaned the rifle. this weekend assuming I don't end up working will be a new timney trigger and a bedding job.
20180628_162628.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts