Remington 700 5R -- Scope Mounting Help & Accessories?

I've had two of these 5r rifles
In 300 wm. One shot noticeably better than the other but both shot quite well for a production rifle. I put Nightforce steel base and rings on one and badger steel rings and base on one, I had my smith pin the base to the action on the more
Accurate rifle. The steel bases and rings make it even heavier but they sure aren't going anywhere either. If your not worried about the extra weight I'd go with the Nightforce or badger steel rings and 20 moa base.

Check out Ken Farrell. INC for 20 plus MOA base, his are nice. I had to use the Burris XTR rings on a boomer I have until I got it fixed. The plastic inserts will slip! So did several other steel made brands!

If you had XTR Signature rings slip then you weren't using them correctly. No way they'll slip if installed correctly and I've had them holding heavy scopes on lightweight magnum rifles with absolutely NO slipping of any sort.

If you had XTR Signature rings slip then you weren't using them correctly. No way they'll slip if installed correctly and I've had them holding heavy scopes on lightweight magnum rifles with absolutely NO slipping of any sort.

I've only had them on .30 and .33 magnums but I too have not experienced any slippage.

<SNIPPED STUFF>I had to use the Burris XTR rings on a boomer I have until I got it fixed. The plastic inserts will slip! So did several other steel made brands!
Your "boomer" must have some pretty vicious recoil. The only gun I've had where anything "slipped" was a scope mounted on my spring-piston air rifle. Could not possible tighten the rings to the mount enough to stop it from moving. And I think if I did get the RINGS to quit moving on the mount, then the scope itself would have decided to try slip-sliding away. I just gave up on trying to scope that thing. That's also the only gun I've managed to "kill" a scope on (two of them, actually.) Spring piston airguns are fascinating to me. How they can destroy and 'move' scopes and rings when .375s, .338s, and the like have no effect is bizarre.

Is your "boomer" a spring piston airgun!? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.