Remington 5R advice

I am a fan of the Sako rifles, my M995/TRG-S in .300 WM is a rock solid performer and have been exposed in extreme element without any issues.

Muzzle brake is definitely not for everybody; it's personal preference and application dependent. In my neck of he woods, hunting with dogs except for mountain lion hunting is prohibited. Despite varying hunting styles and conditions, let's not forget the website is still a long range hunting shooting and should have plenty of time for the required or recommended personal protection equipment (PPE, hearing and eye protection).

With or without muzzle brake, PPEs is still recommended for both human and your dog companion (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/mu...&creative=76141183015600&device=c&matchtype=e). I personally think dogs need the same protection if not more than the human because of their keen sense of hearing over humans. Just saying, cheers!

Dont know why you would want to but there is nothing in Montana law says you cant go hunting with your dog ( you cant use them to chase game). In fact you can use them to track wounded game.
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/87/6/87-6-404.htm

Grayboe Terrain. Love these stocks.

Attachments

• BC7DFBFF-A7B7-4313-B55B-DE3A46BC5350.jpeg
    BC7DFBFF-A7B7-4313-B55B-DE3A46BC5350.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 314
Dont know why you would want to but there is nothing in Montana law says you cant go hunting with your dog ( you cant use them to chase game). In fact you can use them to track wounded game.
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/87/6/87-6-404.htm

I was referring to big game hunting, as noted in 3b, dogs are allowed in mountain lion hunts. You are correct as to why would anyone would want to bring their dogs on a big game hunt. I have previously discussed this with the law enforcement side of the FWP regarding game retrieval as noted in 5a, yes you can use a dog to help track a wounded game animal but you cannot have it during the hunt. It also depends on hunting district, for instance, in Blackleaf WMA dogs are not allowed at any time period and there are signs all over.

Be sure to pull the rifle out of the stock and clean all the metal surfaces with some RemOil and a microfiber cloth, like under the barrel and action, and places you can't normally get to with it in the stock. Swap the trigger while you got it out. Then re-torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds, incrementally, starting at 25, then 35, 45, 55, and 65.

Give that a try, and if she doesn't shoot to snuff, do a full skim-bed and lug bed with DevCon.

Mine took about 25-50 rounds before settling in (break-in) with consistent groupings. Be sure to scrub that barrel down before the first time you shoot it. Also, after patching it dry, run you a soaked wet patch of Kroil down the bore before putting it back in the safe. And then before you go to the range, run you another wet patch of Kroil down the bore. The Kroil soaks into the metal and will help with the break-in, so your first few shots aren't running down a dry bore as you're trying to break in the new barrel.

I'm giving away trade-secrets, but forums are for helping folks. :cool:

Last edited:
so I did pull the rifle out of its stock. I scrubbed all the metal surfaces clean with remoil and cleaned the bore. don't have any kroil on hand so I may have to look for some. I'll get the trigger in and to be honest I'm just gonna skim bed it and do the recoil lug before I even shoot it. I'll get the scope on this weekend as well.

so I did pull the rifle out of its stock. I scrubbed all the metal surfaces clean with remoil and cleaned the bore. don't have any kroil on hand so I may have to look for some. I'll get the trigger in and to be honest I'm just gonna skim bed it and do the recoil lug before I even shoot it. I'll get the scope on this weekend as well.
If you have any Lucas gun oil on hand it works very well too, so does "Machinegunners Lube".

so I've been working since 4pm yesterday. I did the bedding job before I left so I'm just hoping it turned out. I left the gun in my vise. I'll let you all know how it goes when work is over. not sure how many more days of work now.

ok. so I got off work last night. I put it all together today. the lug is bedded, action screws torqued to 65lbs, timney trigger installed and adjusted to 2lbs, vortex viper PST gen 1 mounted on a leupold backcountry rail with vortex precision rings. all torqued to spec and loctited. rifle is clean and ready for barrel break in.
20180707_170754.jpg

FL dries though and leaves a very tacky film that'll gum up the works pretty bad. I would never use it inside of a barrel and leave it as preservative.

Oh yeah true. I would never use it inside the barrel. It's strictly a bolt body lube and lube to stop a rifle from rusting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.