Remington 5R advice

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Elkeater, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Elkeater

Elkeater Well-Known Member

So I just bought a Remington 700 5R gen 1 in .300WM. 26" non threaded barrel. I also ordered a timney trigger for it since I now I won't be satisfied with the factory trigger.

So the question is, does anyone have one of these and if so are there any other changes to the rifle I should think of immediately?

Saracen likes this.
  2. WeiserBucks

WeiserBucks Well-Known Member

Get a quality one piece rail and have at it .

Mike 338, Saracen and 300whisper like this.
  3. Elkeater

yup already have a leupold 1 piece rail and a vortex viper pst 6-24x to top it.

4. WeiserBucks

If it shoots well you can always thread it later if you decide, do you reload?

Saracen likes this.
  5. Elkeater

yup all set up for the .300WM at the bench. got several pounds of H1000, some nosler brass, some Fed 215 primers and a big box of berger 215 hybrids waiting for it.

Joefrazell likes this.
  6. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

return it and buy the 24 inch threaded barrel model for a muzzle break lol

7. Elkeater

my current go to rifle is a ruger m77 .300WM with no break. I find the recoil entirely manageable. I really wanted a 26" bbl and it can always be threaded later.

8. WeiserBucks

You're all set , that's exactly what I would have recommended !

9. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend a good steel base and some good steel rings. I shot my 300 wm 5r in the production rifle benchrest competition at my local range and had trouble holding a good zero until I upgraded to steel base and rings. And yes a trigger is almost mandatory. I settled on h1000 and 200smks. Also my gun and my dads 5r 300wm 5r both needed to have honing work done just above the belt inside the chamber. They would stick cases after fired. After I had a smith fix this everything was down hill.

Mike 338 and buck8541 like this.
  10. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I have that exact same rifle.

I would suggest loosening the action screws and then re-torquing them to 65 inch-pounds. Also, if you know how, Dev-Con skim-bed the action and make sure the barrel is free-floating. All these things should help you thoroughly enjoy your new 5R Milspec. The biggest one was the trigger, but you already got that covered.

I also recommend EGW HD 20MOA 1-piece bases and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings.

Also, I wouldn't buy steel bases and rings for anything, unless they don't make 7075 T6 aluminum rings and bases for your rifle... Which both EGW HD bases and Seekins rings are made of. :cool:

11. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

For a non breaked 5r I prefer the steel bases and rings. Other than weight reasons I’d go with steel. Steel is more dependable. Having said that I don’t hunt with mine I bench shoot it a lot and don’t mind the extra weight

12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I'd say you're pretty well off to the races with what you have. I too would suggest putting a good brake on it, seeing your hits is priceless and for $100-150.00 you can buy a quality brake like the NWP muzzle brake from Chuck in Wyoming, have your barrel threaded, and the brake timed and installed.

If you don't know how to do it yourself have a good float and bedding job done on it.

If I've made a mistake in the last few years it was in not picking up a Gen 2 M700 in .300wm at the same time I bought one in .260 Rem.

For bullets I'd prefer the Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond/Accubond LR but other than that I'd say you're headed in the right direction.

13. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

I just bought the Remington Wilderness Rifle in 300 RUM & put a Leupold 5HD on it. Got it sighted in with Sierra 200 GameKings & going bear hunting tomorrow!!!

14. Joefrazell

Joefrazell Well-Known Member

Let's see some pics of how it shoots once you get it out. I've got a sendero in 300 mag that I don't have a brake on. I also shoot the 215 bergers. My barrel like h4831sc. 71.3 gr. It took me along time to get this load developed but it shoots great. Good luck and have fun!