Remington 700 5R -- Scope Mounting Help & Accessories?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I am going to be recieving my new Remingtom 700 5R in 300wm here in just a few days. I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 I am planning to mount on it. I am wanting a 20 moa base and rings, and would like some brand recommendations as well as height for the rings? Additionally, what are some recommended muzzle brakes for this rifle? I plan to also bed the rifle here at some point in the near future, as I am assuming I still need to bed the rifle despite its integral bedding block?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your new rifle! I'd shoot it first, before bedding it, to see if you even need to bother.

As for a mount, I'm a simple guy - I vote for the Talley Picatinny 20 MOA 'long action' base for $47
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB822V8/?tag=lrhmag19-20
upload_2019-7-1_22-26-26.png

As for rings, it looks like you will just be able to get by with MEDIUM height rings with this mount and objective size. Not sure of the barrel contour, so hopefully I'm not steering you wrong here. Closer to the bore is best, so 'test fit' before screwing things down in case you have to exchange for "high" rings (but I think you are going to be okay at "medium".) I'm a big fan of BURRIS SIGNATURE SERIES rings with the ***-Align (polymer) inserts as they don't mar your scope, they grip it really well, and they don't need to be lapped. You are looking for Burris part #420588.
(And, yes, WEAVER rings will fit the PICATINNY BASE...)
upload_2019-7-1_22-37-43.png

upload_2019-7-1_22-47-9.png

As for a muzzle brake recommendation, I recommend you don't buy one! They are loud. Too loud. They are unnecessary. Get a PAST recoil pad to wear when sighting in the gun. You won't notice the recoil when hunting. But you will be DEAFENED by a muzzle brake when hunting! Hey, you asked for recommendations...that's mine.

There are many options, as usual your budget will determine what you decide on.

Steel or alloy?

Leupold mark4 rail & mk4 or PRW or QRW rings is good combo.

If you want cheaper then EGW.

If you want plenty of money & spare no expense then why not Spuhr

I wouldn't even consider bedding a rifle unless there are actual accuracy issues.

Just another job, time, money spent that may not even be needed!

Last edited:
My 5R Gen 2 in 6.5 Creed needed skim bedding on top of the aluminum bedding blocks to get it repeatably under a half inch. I also dropped in a Jewell and am very impressed with the way it shoots.

By the way I've now had two EGW scope rails that I've had problems with and can't even get a reply from EGW for fixes. One had poorly spaced slots and the other one's included screws were so soft as to be unusable because they stripped as soon as I tried to use them. That drove me back to NightForce rails. They're simply perfect every time.

For rings I've settled on the Burris XTR Signature rings with the plastic inserts. They simply won't damage a scope or leave rings marks and with almost all my scopes exceeding $1,000 in cost these days I just am NOT willing to mark a scope with rings and refuse to ruin a set of rings by lapping them.

Last edited:
I used a Seekins rail and Nightforce rings. I liked how the Seekins rail has a little lug to butt up against the ejection port to take the recoil. That takes the shear forces off the mounting scrrws.

Congratulations on your new rifle! I'd shoot it first, before bedding it, to see if you even need to bother.

As for a mount, I'm a simple guy - I vote for the Talley Picatinny 20 MOA 'long action' base for $47
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB822V8/?tag=lrhmag19-20
View attachment 139852

As for rings, it looks like you will just be able to get by with MEDIUM height rings with this mount and objective size. Not sure of the barrel contour, so hopefully I'm not steering you wrong here. Closer to the bore is best, so 'test fit' before screwing things down in case you have to exchange for "high" rings (but I think you are going to be okay at "medium".) I'm a big fan of BURRIS SIGNATURE SERIES rings with the ***-Align (polymer) inserts as they don't mar your scope, they grip it really well, and they don't need to be lapped. You are looking for Burris part #420588.
(And, yes, WEAVER rings will fit the PICATINNY BASE...)
View attachment 139855
View attachment 139871
As for a muzzle brake recommendation, I recommend you don't buy one! They are loud. Too loud. They are unnecessary. Get a PAST recoil pad to wear when sighting in the gun. You won't notice the recoil when hunting. But you will be DEAFENED by a muzzle brake when hunting! Hey, you asked for recommendations...that's mine.

Thank you! Now, with the Weaver style on a picatinny rail, how am I getting it to "screw on" to the rail? Do i still get adjustment for eye relief?

EGW HD 20MOA rail and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings will fit perfect. It's the same setup I have on all mine. Never an issue with any of my 15+ EGW rails on different rifles, makes, models, etc...

Thank you! Now, with the Weaver style on a picatinny rail, how am I getting it to "screw on" to the rail? Do i still get adjustment for eye relief?
Hey BryDawg, I'm sorry - the picture I showed before was just meant to illustrate the ***-Align inserts, but the base on the rings I gave you the part # for will have a WEAVER BASE, so it will clamp on to the Picatinny base and you will be able to move the rings back and forth to different slots to get the rings where you want them for eye relief and scope support.
upload_2019-7-3_11-1-23.png
upload_2019-7-3_11-3-19.png

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the comments mentioned above. I have used several of the same setups as above and they all seem to do very well. I've even used the different cant inserts on the Burris signature rings with a 0 moa rail to save money. All work well. I do like the idea of the signature rings not leaving marks on the scope, though.

Hey BryDawg, I'm sorry - the picture I showed before was just meant to illustrate the ***-Align inserts, but the base on the rings I gave you the part # for will have a WEAVER BASE, so it will clamp on to the Picatinny base and you will be able to move the rings back and forth to different slots to get the rings where you want them for eye relief and scope support.
View attachment 140078View attachment 140079

I have quite of few of these Burris line rings and find this video to illustrates it best ...

Check out Ken Farrell. INC for 20 plus MOA base, his are nice. I had to use the Burris XTR rings on a boomer I have until I got it fixed. The plastic inserts will slip! So did several other steel made brands!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.