Remington 5R advice

got to the range today to do barrel break in. for break in I just whipped up a random handloads of 76gr H1000 with a 175gr SMK loaded to saami spec. no pre planning on the load development side of things at all.

I shot the first ten rounds cleaning the barrel between each shot. then I shot 5 rounds and cleaned again. then shot the final 5 rounds.

7 out of the last 8 rounds went into this group. the last one went into a ground squirrel.
Screenshot_20180713-113458.png
20180713_112535.jpg

overall not shooting to bad. I'm sure things will tighten up with some actual carefully made and thought out load development.

Had the same rifle as you, all factory except lightened the trigger. It shot great with H1000 and 215 bergers. This was light load at 72 grains, 3 shots at 100
group 2.jpg

ya I figured I wouldn't waste 215 bergers on barrel break in. the next trip to the range will be shooting 215 bergers and h1000. time to begin load development.

I like the gen 1 milspecs.... I have a 24 inch 308 that I tricked out... Calvin trigger, Tubes speed lock firing pin, bedded, Badger rail, Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS scope and rings with level and cosign..and break... Could of almost gotten a Custom for just a bit more but really like the rifle...Shoots the 175smk's pretty well...

Yes, to keep it a repeater. I'd have to look back at my notes for coal. Sold that one to build custom though.
Thank you--that was my underlying concern. I want to play around with them in my 5R and keep it as a repeater as well.

Well I've been out to the range 2 times for load development. I started low at 74 gr H1000 with 215 bergers seated at a .015" jump. I've worked up shooting 5 shot groups up to 77 gr. At 77 gr I finally shot a 1 MOA group. Up to this point the best it's done is about 1.5 MOA. I'm gonna keep playing around 77- 77.5 and see what happens. I'd like to see .5 to .75 MOA but I guess I'll have to keep playing. I may might have to try some eldx or something too.

It might still be breaking in... My 5R .308 took nearly 50 rounds before the groups started settling in.

You should also try a different powder. Not every barrel likes every powder. I recommend IMR 7977. I recently did some load testing in my .300 Ackley with it and 210 Bergers, and it had an ES of 14, and an SD of 7. So, to say the least, it's consistent.

Elkeater. I was in the beginningof the thread and have lost track.
Did you load long (single feed if needed) and do a work up? If not, give it a try amd see if it will shoot. If all fails you zero for the long single feed and load your 1.5 MOA ones for jump shooting in the mag while walking out. Not preferred, but happens. May not like that bullet but I doubt it.

So I am loading long to single feed for now. I'm not too concerned yet. I've only fired 40 rounds for load development so far and half of those were just working up watching for pressure. I'll play with this next round loaded in 0.2gr increments from 76.8 to 77.6 and see what happens.

It does seem to shoot better if I let it cool between each shot. It's shown some stringing with a few loads. Almost like it likes cold bore over a warm barrel.

So I am loading long to single feed for now. I'm not too concerned yet. I've only fired 40 rounds for load development so far and half of those were just working up watching for pressure. I'll play with this next round loaded in 0.2gr increments from 76.8 to 77.6 and see what happens.

It does seem to shoot better if I let it cool between each shot. It's shown some stringing with a few loads. Almost like it likes cold bore over a warm barrel.
What kind of break in cleaning regime are you doing? Did you bed it before you started?

Please try h-4831sc if h1000 doesn't pan out and let me know. I'll almost bet you your groups tighten

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.