Primer Change

idcwby

Been trying to get my 33XC shooting better and finally got a good powder charge figured out and think I found a good seating depth. Just need to get my ES down, at this point is a primer switch the best option?

IMG_7524.jpeg

0.010" off lands 3231, 3270, 3256 velocity
IMG_7523.jpeg

0.020" jump 3239, 3241, 3268 velocities

IMG_7521.jpeg

0.030" jump 3220, 3242, 3246 velocities

IMG_7520.jpeg

0.040" jump 3252, 3201, 3228 velocities

The load is 112.2gr of Retumbo with Fed 215M primers and 275gr Badlands SBII. If switch primers, do I have the potential to loose the accuracy? Should I load 0.040" to 0.050" and see what those do?

Last edited:
The 33 is a different beast. I would recommend not to do two things at once, definitely has caused me to chase my tail. Have you shot the charge at the distance you desire? Again, 33xc is different, but some of my SD and ES numbers weren't as relevant vs all the other factors with me behind the trigger. I personally don't think you could do better than a 215m, but it's the internet.......

Statistically I don't think you've found anything repeatable. Lots of vertical, which could be load, however, my guess is recoil management. I'd suggest redoing the same test and see if it repeats. Which I don't think it will.

idcwby,

Switching primers is the last thing I do when tuning a load. Since Federal 215 are about the hottest, that's what I start with. That way I don't have to reduce to try different primers. Occasionally I cut groups in half with nothing but a primer switch. I use the idea Bob's Accuracy shop taught me years ago: "If it doesn't put two close together three will not help. Don't fire anymore of that one."

By the way, I am not firing three ten shot groups for statistically verifying loads during the development stage. I've been at this a long time and discovered one can see trends in just a few shots.

The 33 is a different beast. I would recommend not to do two things at once, definitely has caused me to chase my tail. Have you shot the charge at the distance you desire? Again, 33xc is different, but some of my SD and ES numbers weren't as relevant vs all the other factors with me behind the trigger. I personally don't think you could do better than a 215m, but it's the internet.......
I was shooting ladders at 845yds, is how I settled on my powder charge. Didn't have the accuracy I was wanting, did all this with the 0.010" jump. Figured I'd try adjusting seating depth and see if it starts grouping better. Got that, but haven't stretched it out yet. Was wanting to try to get my ES down before stretching it back out. That's why I'm wondering if trying different primers would work for my ES?

idcwby,

Switching primers is the last thing I do when tuning a load. Since Federal 215 are about the hottest, that's what I start with. That way I don't have to reduce to try different primers. Occasionally I cut groups in half with nothing but a primer switch. I use the idea Bob's Accuracy shop taught me years ago: "If it doesn't put two close together three will not help. Don't fire anymore of that one."

By the way, I am not firing three ten shot groups for statistically verifying loads during the development stage. I've been at this a long time and discovered one can see trends in just a few shots.
If the Federals didn't work for you, which was your next choice? I understand the shooting two process, I've always shot three and still makes me comfortable doing that.

What is you neck tension like ? I was struggling with consistent neck tension with my old barrel, and likely the new barrel isn't going to change that. Been thinking of getting David Tubb to make one a couple thousandths smaller....

I'm using the .363 bushing and bumping the should back like David explains in his video/directions. My neck o.d. with these bullets is 0.366". I should have plenty of tension. I annealed the brass before resizing and this is only the second shots on the brass.

Another primer like a CCI 250 is definitely worth testing, I wouldnt be afraid to try a 362 bushing either. Use guage pins to measure your nk I.D its the only way to know how consistent you NK tension really is. It will also tell to if you have donuts in your brass.
I would also quit going .010 at a time on seating usually seating nodes are about .005 wide, .003 at a time is what I do.

Last edited:
In an attempt to save my last few Federal 215 primers for my Mag Hunting loads I have been using my Win LR Magnum primers , with a reduced load to sight in my newly scoped 300 Weatherby Mag. I expected the worst , but have been pleasantly surprised. Using a light load of 74.0 Grns of H 4831SC and 178 Grn Horn A Max, for a slow , easy target load of 2850 fps . As I use three shot groups for Hunting load testing , I made 3 holes touch at the 50 yard and 100-yard range. I was pleasantly surprised. Next week, 200 and 300 yards, with 74.3 grns , then 200 and 300 yards using 74.6 grns which should develop 2900 fps. I think the Win LR Mag Primers are sufficiently hot enough to properly ignite that amount of powder. Any primer suggestions will be well received.