Zero change

Clubhunter

Is it me or does this happen to you as well.....when I shoot off the bench and my rifle is higher on the bags and rest, my zero is dead center. When I lower the rifle on the bench position where I am leaning more over on top of it, my zero is about 1 1/2" lower. Is that normal or is that something I need to correct in my setup or form?
Did not know if the zero changes from bench to prone?

Most people don't realize how many variables effect where a bullet lands, including how the rifle moves when the trigger is pulled. And yes, different shooting positions ( at least in my experiance) can change things a little. That's one of the reasons why serious shooters worry so much about how well their rifles are made. A flexible stock or a poorly bedded rifle can give you headaches. Stiffer rifle, straighter shot, IMO. This is also why I personally firmly believe in practicing from feild positions, even when establishing a zero, and avoid shooting vises and similar things. You won't have a bench or a vise in the feild when the moment of truth presents it self.

How is your paralex!! It seems to me that the problem could be position of your head looking through the scope is different. try move your head around while looking through the scope. Do the cross hairs move around on the target a bit?

Tod

I have noticed differences in POI depending on how I get behind the rifle. 1-1/2" seems like a lot though.

Parallax is a good point.

I did adjust for parallax so that the cross hairs did not move when I moved my head. The only other thing that would have been different was that because I am breaking my rifle in and having to clean the barrel every couple of shots I initially shot the first set of shots out of a Caldwell lead sled. To be honest the other reason I used this is because I don't have my muzzle break yet for this 300 Rum and it kicks the crap out me.
When I took it out of their and it was lower on the bench was when I got the lower shots. This could all be the operator error!

OK...first thing you do is toss that led sled in the round file!! If the recoil bothers you then don't shoot any more till you get your brake on.

Also, adding a break will alter your zero, so you will need to retest after you get your brake, anyway.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tod

OK...first thing you do is toss that led sled in the round file!! If the recoil bothers you then don't shoot any more till you get your brake on.

Also, adding a break will alter your zero, so you will need to retest after you get your brake, anyway.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tod
Yep. Throw that **** lead slead away ,put the rifle on your shoulder and shoot.

Could also be cheek weld difference between led sled and when you expect to get the crap kicked out of you without the led sled. Are you using the same amount of grip with trigger hand in both situations?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.