Primer Change

Been trying to get my 33XC shooting better and finally got a good powder charge figured out and think I found a good seating depth. Just need to get my ES down, at this point is a primer switch the best option?

View attachment 492701
0.010" off lands 3231, 3270, 3256 velocity
View attachment 492702
0.020" jump 3239, 3241, 3268 velocities

View attachment 492706
0.030" jump 3220, 3242, 3246 velocities

View attachment 492710
0.040" jump 3252, 3201, 3228 velocities

The load is 112.2gr of Retumbo with Fed 215M primers and 275gr Badlands SBII. If switch primers, do I have the potential to loose the accuracy? Should I load 0.040" to 0.050" and see what those do?
So just what is your SD and ES and what is it based on?

idcwby,

"If it doesn't put two close together three will not help. Don't fire anymore of that one."
Exactly! When working up loads, I load three; put them in a Ziplock baggie with a piece of paper noting charge, bullet, COAL, etc. If the first two don't shoot close together, I don't shoot the third. I might load two more of the same but with a different OAL (use a bullet puller to lengthen for example).

Another primer like a CCI 250 is definitely worth testing, I wouldnt be afraid to try a 362 bushing either. Use guage pins to measure your nk I.D its the only way to know how consistent you NK tension really is. It will also tell to if you have donuts in your brass.
I would also quit going .010 at a time on seating usually seating nodes are about .005 wide, .003 at a time is what I do.
Bullet manufacturer recommended doing the 10, 20, 30, 40 jump. Prior to that I had been using the berger method with good luck of getting close and then fine tuning from there. I'll have to get some gauge pins so I can measure I.D.

Today went better. I had 9 pieces of prepped brass left, so I loaded 3 at 0.040", 0.045", & 0.050" jump and went and shot them at 840 yds. The 40 and 45 jump had two about 3" apart with a flyer about 10" away. The 50 put all three 6" horizontal and 2" vertical. Still had a 50fps spread between all the shots. The 50 group had a 46fps spread.
Will probably try some different primers still and see if I can get this ES down.

IMG_7528.jpeg

0.040" group lots of vertical the 3 orange dots. Target is 8" diameter.

IMG_7531.jpeg

The 0.045" group. The two in the target and the one black dot on the far right.

IMG_7532.jpeg
IMG_7533.jpeg

The 0.050" group.

I'd do an OCW test in 0.3 grain increments at 100-200 yards (take environmentals out of the equation) with the seating depth that gave you the tightest group

All my load development is done at minimum 600 yards. I agree but i would do a OCW but stay at your 845.
Whatever your charge is drop .3 below and go .3 above see if it takes some horizontal out.
I still think your jumping to much on your seating depth you see how much .005 changed it.
Next I would do .048 off and .052

Last edited:
All my load development is done at minimum 600 yards. I agree bow i would do a OCW but stay at you 845.
Whatever your charge is drop .3 below and go .3 above see if it takes some horizontal out.
I still think your jumping to much on your seating depth you see how much .005 changed it.
Next I would do .048 off and .052
I had them loaded before I seen your post. Do you think it would be worth going to .055? Since the more jump seemed to bring the flyer in. I can adjust the powder charge like you recommended, but want to move one variable at a time.

The other thing I'm contemplating is if I should clean the barrel. I'm at 48rds since cleaning. The barrel is new enough that I don't know when it's going to foul and quit shooting, haven't learned that yet about it.

Yes I would d clean them foul the barrel with 2-3 rounds.
I would shoot an OCW .3 below and .3 above the charge you shot the .050 with, you are close just need to take some horizontal out. The vertical is good.
If changing the powder charge doesn't take out the horizontal I would do .048 and .052 off. Increasing your nk tension is another good tuning tool after powder and seating.
As a matter of fact I would duplicate the powder charge and .050 off you just shot and increase your NK tension. 001 on your fowling shots and see what happens

Yes I would d clean them foul the barrel with 2-3 rounds.
I would shoot an OCW .3 below and .3 above the charge you shot the .050 with, you are close just need to take some horizontal out. The vertical is good.
If changing the powder charge doesn't take out the horizontal I would do .048 and .052 off. Increasing your nk tension is another good tuning tool after powder and seating.
As a matter of fact I would duplicate the powder charge and .050 off you just shot and increase your NK tension. 001 on your fowling shots and see what happens
I'll do the OCW first. I'll have to get ahold of David Tubb about getting a tighter bushing before I can go down that road.