Time change

On the local news the other day, they calculated that if we had only standard time, the earliest the sun would ever rise would be 5:30 AM and the latest it would set would be 7:30 PM. If we had only daylight savings time, the latest the sun would ever rise is 8:30 AM and the latest it would ever set is 9:00 PM. This just proves daylight savings time is dumb.
Well that is absolutely BS since I have daylight well past 10PM in the west side of the Eastern Time Zone. They are using the time stamp of the far east side of each time zone instead of the far west side to their advantage. Completely biased reporting. SHOCKER!!!! Sunset + 30 minutes of daylight is the norm as well.

633D182A-43CD-438D-893E-D2ADC2D5DAF1.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, sir, but there are a lot of professions that the same could be said about. In this day and age, I salute anyone who actually works for a living.
Blackdirt cowboy, I see you are out of TX are you around Greenville/ Bonham area?? That is the only place in TX I know with Black Gumbo that still has land that can be used for farming and ranching.

No sir, but I do have a cousin that lives up at Caddo Mills. I'm just south of Waco between Marlin and Riesel. There's a strip of Blackland dirt that runs along I35 from that Greenville area nearly to San Antonio. My great grandad always said if the dirt will stick to your shoes, you better stick with it, because it'll take care of you. I guess he was on to something.

No sir, but I do have a cousin that lives up at Caddo Mills. I'm just south of Waco between Marlin and Riesel. There's a strip of Blackland dirt that runs along I35 from that Greenville area nearly to San Antonio. My great grandad always said if the dirt will stick to your shoes, you better stick with it, because it'll take care of you. I guess he was on to something.
Yes sir, it is very rich for crops, sucks during a drought, hard as concrete and will swallow a chick 😄

I hate daylight savings time. I farm and ranch for a living and it's really difficult for me to not be working while the sun is shining. Makes for some late nights around here.
wait you live in Texas? You know the one thing that's not bigger in Texas- the length of nighttime in the winter. Do you ever have to stop farming at 4 PM because the sun is setting? You have no dog in this fight. If anything we need to make daylight savings time permanent so a guy can maybe fish or hunt a little bit after putting in a days work.

The problem with trying to appease everyone is the sun daybreak and setting time difference from the east side of a time zone to the west side of the time zone. I live in west side of eastern time zone so daylight around June 21 is prob til 11PM!! Back east about 45 min difference in eastern NY or VT.
Craig
Doesn't have anything to do with "Appeasing" everyone.
Should be just Standard time for everyone.
Everyone complains about the time change twice a year.
People that live in Standard Time all the Time never complain!
Ever hear someone that lives in a time zone that doesn't change say "O Lets change the time"

Len, I agree completely. Its when someone skews data to support a cause that I have problem with. I worked my entire career in large companies that had basic philosophy of speak with data. The data better be correct. Cherry picking data is garbage data in any problem to solve.

Std time for us in western side of eastern time zone is still like DST for those in east side of the zone which is kind of funny.

I look at it as just pick one and stay with it.

Len, I agree completely. Its when someone skews data to support a cause that I have problem with. I worked my entire career in large companies that had basic philosophy of speak with data. The data better be correct. Cherry picking data is garbage data in any problem to solve.

Std time for us in western side of eastern time zone is still like DST for those in east side of the zone which is kind of funny.

I look at it as just pick one and stay with it.
Craig
I look at it as there are 24 time Zones and this is CONSTANT for time for Hours, Days, Months, Years. High Noon does not change if you go by Time Zones. Being in the Military we always went by "ZULU TIME" GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) so no mater where you where everyone was on the same relative time. There was no DST.
I can bring up a major Screw up for the Military that did not go by ZULU.
GRANADA - they dropped Navy Seals into the Ocean by one hour off due to DST. Four Navy Seals died, but there was weather conditions that also attributed to this disaster. Also the "INVASION" was off by one hour of daylight. This was caused by DST.
This is how smart our Pentagon is. A one hour difference can kill many US Military Personnel. the difference between DST and Standard Time.

This time Change is more than just a debate and contentious for most people in the world. The fact is that our elected officials know that the US should go to just a Standard Time BUT WON'T change the Laws.
WHY????
Can't just go to DST all the time because the rest of the world would be off one hour. (actually the USA would be off one hour)

Somebody/Groups/Industries has to be making $$$$$ off the DST otherwise it would be changed in a heartbeat!
I lived in Hawaii and it was such a hard time doing business with our other offices and businesses in the Mainland USA because of the Time Zone and throw in a time change twice a year@@@@@