Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

If you read this entire thread notice that 30 caliber or larger is hardly mentioned.

The popular calibers and cartridges going forward are going to be between 22 and 7mm with the bulk in the middle. IMO most people today don't want the big kickers/boomers. They want to shoot long with minimal recoil and still have enough thump to hunt varmit up to medium game. Precisely why the CM is so popular. With the quality of bullets and powders today the trend will continue.

I hope it will be something in the 7mm category. It will be interesting to see, if they do come out with a 7mm PRC or whatever they call it, how it matches up against Gunwerks 7mm LRM which is based on the 375 Ruger case. I love this cartridge and dearly wish someone else would make some brass for it. The Hornady stuff just doesn't cut it, IMO. You buy a bag of 100 pieces from Gunwerks and start weight sorting it and yo might get 50 out of 100 that are within a couple of grains of each other.

If you read this entire thread notice that 30 caliber or larger is hardly mentioned.

The popular calibers and cartridges going forward are going to be between 22 and 7mm with the bulk in the middle. IMO most people today don't want the big kickers/boomers. They want to shoot long with minimal recoil and still have enough thump to hunt varmit up to medium game. Precisely why the CM is so popular. With the quality of bullets and powders today the trend will continue.
I believe you are dead on. I personally like big magnums from 264 cal on up to 7mm and I'm on the fence with big ultra sized 30 cal mags due to recoil management, but the bulk of average hunters don't prefer big magnum sized cartridges.

I agree, was just gonna say that...27-08/.278 Win?...or 25-08, 258 Win?
I really believe it would have chances for success in a true short action configuration. 160-170gr bullets driven to moderate speeds. Should equal out to the equivalent of or less than 270 Winchester perceived recoil with significantly more down range energy and less wind drift than the standard 270 win 10 twist.

I am with the idea of a 6.5 WSM it would be great. The 6.5 name brand and the WSM brand and it is a formula for success. Let's get her done then.

I've seen some really good 6.5 WSMs. As far as commercial success - it's pretty darn close to the 6.5 PRC

Would like to hear your thoughts on what direction you think the next trend for caliber size & cartridge will go. I don't want to start this thread for bashing the 6.5 creedmoor but since it's the latest most popular caliber for new rifle sales among average shooters & hunters, what are predictions for another caliber & cartridge to come that will have as much commerical success as the 6.5 creedmoor? I realize the 6.5cm is here to stay and may take years for something of this commercial popularity to come back around. I know that the 6.5 does have its limitations.
Key points for it's success with the average hunter/shooter:
#1 Most of the time accuracy in many factory rifles with factory ammo is good.
#2 low recoil which is acceptable for all hunters: Elderly, youth, females, etc...
#3 affordable ammunition
#4 many economy priced rifles chambered in 6.5cm
#5 6.5 projectiles high BC( wind bucking capability & efficientcy)
#6 suitable for most commonly hunted medium sized game.

Again I state that this is not a thread for if you like or dislike the 6.5 creedmoor but I'm just using it for a basis of what would bring as much commercial success to a different caliber/ cartridge. I don't want this to turn into 40 pages of bashing or defending the 6.5 creedmoor till death due you part because those post have been done many times and the dead horse has been beat many times over. Thank you
Maybe, it will be a look back at some of the older "obsolete" cartridge. A fresh look with new powders and bullets. For example, I have a M700 in .350 Remington Magnum. It's a great cartridge for a wide variety of game including those considered dangerous. We may already have the answer in several cartridge.

I don't think it will be about calibers and bullets. In the last decade or so two huge trends have appeared and both were caused by technology - precision long range rifles and ultralight, weather resistant rifles. I see no slow down in either of these trends. What I see is these same new technologies bringing about changes in regulation. Non-hunters, in particular, are going to begin looking at our new and improved killing abilities, not only using firearms but with computerized optics, night vision scopes, camera, GPS, and heat sensing, equipped drones, and whatever else is on the horizon, and decide it is no longer fair chase, and they will be right. Hunting will need to change, and if hunters are smart they will get out front and make the changes themselves before the non-hunters start filling youtube and facebook with videos of bad hunting. That is the other big trend that will impact hunting. Everyone in the wilderness is packing a phone with a built in movie camera and the quality gets better every day. As a result, the quality of our hunting ethics is what will decide if we will even be allowed out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.