~1100 FPS 800 Grain Barnes Bore Riding 50 Caliber Rifle Cartridge

375rifleman

I was planning on making/building a 16.5"-20" barreled rifle that will send a 800 grain Barnes Bore Riding 50 caliber (.510) bullet at around ~1100 FPS I was thinking of using a 500 Phantom. Does anyone have any ideas as to if you think that the 500 Phantom will and if not any ideas as to other possible cartridges that would ? 510 WSM , 500 Whisper, 510 Whisper, or other possible cartridges. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I started playing around with a similar project that involved a "family" .50 cal wildcats based on 338 Lapua. They basically differed in length and of course muzzle velocity. For short actions a 2.8 inch OAL that should according to quickload get you subsonic loadings for 650 grain bullets. A 3.34 inch OAL for '06 length actions. It has a little less volume than 510 Whisper. A 3.85 inch OAL for magnum actions (with Barns 650 grain TSX). I never got beyond dummy rounds with the first two but got just under 2,000 fps with the longer round and some M33 bullets which brought the length to just under 4.2 inch. My work pc doesn't let me go to photo-bucket so if you want to see some pictures pm me with your e-mail address.

Jeff

I was planning on making/building a 16.5"-20" barreled rifle that will send a 800 grain Barnes Bore Riding 50 caliber (.510) bullet at around ~1100 FPS I was thinking of using a 500 Phantom. Does anyone have any ideas as to if you think that the 500 Phantom will and if not any ideas as to other possible cartridges that would ? 510 WSM , 500 Whisper, 510 Whisper, or other possible cartridges. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I see you are still kicking this idea around, except the change from the 750 Amax.:D
I believe I have stated this earlier but will do so again; if I had it to do all over again I would just get an encore with a long throated .50 Alaskan barrel and suppress it. No fulling around with cutting/machining/forming brass. The brass and dies are standard (except I have a VLD stem for my seating die). Messing with brass for my lil' fitty is a PITA.

Hi Bravo 4 I've read field and stream the total gun with the gun nuts David petzal and Phil bourjaily and their ballistic buffalo and would love it if someone did some ballistic testing with it especially with subsonic big bore cartridges. Thanks

I didn't build anything as elaborate as their buffalo, but what I had was I believe over 18" of wet media in front of a dry oak stump that was at least that thick. Not rotted wood but halfway seasoned and still really hard. It wasn't uncommon for rounds (Amax, Lehigh, API and M33) to fully penetrate the media and then the stump when pushed over 1,000 fps. It would stop all rounds when under 900 fps. The wet paper wouldn't stop them unless I dropped them to around 700.
This is with the exception of the ball rounds if I seated them backwards so that the boat tail would act like a large flat point projectile. They would never fully penetrate the media/stump @ subsonic velocity but you could definitely tell a different in energy transfer!

Bravo4 thanks for your input you said that at anything over 1000 FPS the bullets you tested would achieve full penetration, if that's the case considering that I'm going to start out at around 1100 FPS and also use a heavier bullet in my reasoning that as long as it's over 1000 FPS it should provide full penetration at further distances as long as I could still hit the "target" am I right in my reasoning ? Also do you think that a 50 Alaskan, 50-70, 50-90, 50-110, or 50-120 could be used instead of trying to wildcat a new cartridge ? Thanks 375rifleman

I think that you would get quite a bit of penetration with a long heavy high bc .510 projectile.

Like I said in an earlier thread, if I had it to do over again I would probably just have an encore built in a long throated 50 Alaskan. A standard cartridge would have been soooo much easier, just buy brass and dies. The cartridge I use can just be loaded to much higher velocities and my savage is a repeater with the shorter flat point bullets.

Bravo4 I was thinking about using a 750gr Hornady A-Max at 1500fps-1600fps out of a 500 Nitro Express. I know that you have used the 750gr Hornady A-Max at a much slower velocity than what I'm planning on. Could I still use the 750gr Hornady A-Max for hunting purposes since many states require an expanding bullet for hunting even though the 750gr Hornady A-Max defiantly won't expand at 1500fps-1600fps muzzle velocity let alone down range.

Best Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.