Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

I hope it's a 7 PRC similar to the 7 LRM. A 33 PRC would be cool too and could just be a neck up but might be too similar to some others.

When the thread asks the next new
trend, of course it's going to involve money. That's the main goal for companies to be in business. That doesn't have to be a bad thing. The more successful the industry is the better for all of us. If you want to shoot your 30-06 or 270 or 45-70 or... instead then go for it. A new cartridge doesn't make anything out there any less even if the newest craze is in fact better. My Marlin 45-70 isn't going anywhere even if a new 7mm PRC finds a home next to it.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why 270 Winchester short magnum is not more popular, unless it's the recoil? But as far as throwing bullets and slaying animals it's the bomb!
I'm with you even though I've never shot one - I happened to pick up on 300 wsm in about 2005, but it could just as easily have been 270 wsm, since I was already a 270 shooter and it seems like a great upgrade.

This thread is very interesting in that the majority of the posts collectively seem to be zeroing in on a 270-ish super cartridge, which the 270 wsm already is.

Would like to hear your thoughts on what direction you think the next trend for caliber size & cartridge will go. I don't want to start this thread for bashing the 6.5 creedmoor but since it's the latest most popular caliber for new rifle sales among average shooters & hunters, what are predictions for another caliber & cartridge to come that will have as much commerical success as the 6.5 creedmoor? I realize the 6.5cm is here to stay and may take years for something of this commercial popularity to come back around. I know that the 6.5 does have its limitations.
Key points for it's success with the average hunter/shooter:
#1 Most of the time accuracy in many factory rifles with factory ammo is good.
#2 low recoil which is acceptable for all hunters: Elderly, youth, females, etc...
#3 affordable ammunition
#4 many economy priced rifles chambered in 6.5cm
#5 6.5 projectiles high BC( wind bucking capability & efficientcy)
#6 suitable for most commonly hunted medium sized game.

Again I state that this is not a thread for if you like or dislike the 6.5 creedmoor but I'm just using it for a basis of what would bring as much commercial success to a different caliber/ cartridge. I don't want this to turn into 40 pages of bashing or defending the 6.5 creedmoor till death due you part because those post have been done many times and the dead horse has been beat many times over. Thank you

The next trendy rifle/wonder cartridge combo will have ALL of the following characteristics:

1. Will launch high bc, heavy for caliber wonder bullets @ 3000+ fps...
2. from a 16" barrel...
3. with little or no recoil...
4. and good barrel life...
5. from a 5.5 lb budget rifle with a 3 position safety...
6. into .25 MOA groups with factory ammo...
7. from a pencil barrel...
8. all day long...
9. with a Tasco scope from Wal Mart.
10. Is the bestest combination for winning 3-gun (only one gun needed), PRS, F-Class, and benchrest matches.
11. Is perfect for prairie dogs.
12. Is fur friendly and good for coyotes.
13. Kills deer and antelope like lightning out to 2000 yards.
14. Blows through both shoulders of a bull elk with 100% weight retention, aggressive expansion, and no meat loss, from ANY distance or angle.
15. IF you feel the need to hand load, Lapua brass is available and no fire forming is required.
16. Owning one of these makes women want to be with you and makes other men want to be you.
17. Comes with guaranteed membership to the COOL KIDS SHOOTERS CLUB.
18. Requires no practice, study, or skill. The owner instantly becomes Billy Dixon, Sgt York, Carlos Hathcock, Chris Kyle, and Thor all wrapped into one.
19. Comes with wallet sized target, showing 10 shot group that is always automatically smaller than anyone else's wallet sized bragging group.

You heard it here first. Keep an eye on the next SHOT Show, when the YouTubers and gun writers collectively scream, "Shut up and take my money!"

The next trendy rifle/wonder cartridge combo will have ALL of the following characteristics:

2. from a 16" barrel...
8. all day long...
10. Is the bestest combination for winning 3-gun (only one gun needed), PRS, F-Class, and benchrest matches.
14. Blows through both shoulders of a bull elk with 100% weight retention, aggressive expansion, and no meat loss, from ANY distance or angle.
15. IF you feel the need to hand load, Lapua brass is available and no fire forming is required.
16. Owning one of these makes women want to be with you and makes other men want to be you.
18. Requires no practice, study, or skill. The owner instantly becomes Billy Dixon, Sgt York, Carlos Hathcock, Chris Kyle, and Thor all wrapped into one.
19. Comes with wallet sized target, showing 10 shot group that is always automatically smaller than anyone else's wallet sized bragging group.

You heard it here first. Keep an eye on the next SHOT Show, when the YouTubers and gun writers collectively scream, "Shut up and take my money!"
If you have read these forums enough you will find out that 4 out of five people already have a rifle like you described. Lol. I've never saw so many rifles that consistently shoot in the .1s .2s. It's kind of like when I used to Bass fish, every one was catching 7,8,9& 10 pound Bass every fishing trip....... Except on tournament day.

2. from a 16" barrel...
8. all day long...

Reckon that covers it!

2. from a 16" barrel...
8. all day long...

Let me guess, it's going to a Browning?

2. from a 16" barrel...
8. all day long...

20. Comes with a cool sounding name.

I would love to see a revitalized 375. Even though it's not as popular as the 6.5 or like calibers, there's still a curiosity. Better bullets, better parts, and a better understanding of caliber performance make this a possibly for the next all around caliber. Downfalls of course are price, bullet offerings (much better than before) and culture (375? Your going blow it in half).

I would love to see a revitalized 375. Even though it's not as popular as the 6.5 or like calibers, there's still a curiosity. Better bullets, better parts, and a better understanding of caliber performance make this a possibly for the next all around caliber. Downfalls of course are price, bullet offerings (much better than before) and culture (375? Your going blow it in half).

You need to check out VA silent Arsenal online they have a 375 Winchester short mag they have a 375 Winchester short mag that you can launch out of an AR-10 platform. Or a bolt gun

There is one thing that people miss when they talk about why the 6.5 Creedmoor succeeded. Which in turn leads to why I don't thing there will be a resurgence in .25 or .27 caliber cartridges or rifles. Very few people owned a rifle in 6.5 caliber before the Creedmoor. Sure, some old timers may have had a 264 win mag or maybe a 6.5x55, a few people that compete may have had a 6.5x284 or 260 but compared to the amount of people that own a .270 win it was negligible. When Hornady came out with the 6.5 Creed, rifle manufactures jumped at the opportunity. They didn't have to modify actions or magazines, they just put a new barrel on a .308 and boom, now you have something totally new to the market that none of your customers already have. Granted, it didn't do anything that much different than the older cartridges could do, but it was still completely different, no one owned a 6.5 anything to compare to. If someone came out with a .25 or .27 that did the same thing as the .25-06 or .270 win but in a short action, why would anyone buy a new rifle? They already own a .270 win or .25-06.

I think their are a few gaps in the market that could be filled in with new offerings, but I don't know if we'll see another cartridge have the success of the Creedmoor anytime soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.