.510 Beck Rifle Cartridge ???

375rifleman

Does anyone know anything about the .510 Beck rifle cartridge? From what I understand it's basically a straight wall 308 Winchester blown out to accept .510 caliber bullets. However unless someone knows something that I don't, a 308 Winchester is smaller than .510" at its widest point so I don't see how it could be feasible. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

.510 straitwall case, rebated ".308" rim, ar10 platform with "modified bolt" and "special" barrel extension --7/8x 24 thread and modified ejection port , oh yea, "modified single stack L7 lancer magazine, called the " l12amw"
"Proprietary " chamber/reamer and dies -- brass was from starline

It was shown both at shotshow 2016&18 and still not released to the public. Lehigh supposedly was doing the loaded ammo

Becks website says "available early 2018" -- me thinks they are still working on some sort of problem

Thanks cohunt, I just wish someone made dies for it. Because just the Brass for a 50 Alaskan is around 1$ a piece , 308 Winchester / 7.62x51 NATO is a lot less expensive and it's not rimmed like the 50 Alaskan so many more rifle actions would be avalible. I want to send a Hornady 750gr A-Max @ 1500fps-1800fps and currently my only options are a 510 Whisper 338 Lapua Based (338 Lapua is around 2$ a piece) or the aforementioned 50 Alaskan.

375rifleman

Dies were made, I dont know who made them as ammo has been loaded and shot at shot show --- but original reports were that the dies would only be offered through beck as it is a proprietary cartridge with patents and trademark contracts-- I doubt brass would be any cheaper on the beck than the Alaskan.

Might call beck and see if they will fill you in on any future plans

I've attempted to email both Beck and Lancer. If it was loaded with the A-Max Bullet it most likely wouldn't fit in an AR-10 magazine as the 750gr A-Max bullet is around 2.5" long on its own, not that I'm too worried about that ( As I don't have many semiautos anyway I just prefer bolt actions) however it should still fit in a long action Remington 700, Savage, or another bolt action.

I heard lancer said they have no plans to produce a magazine for that cartridge, yet we know they already did.

I'm guessing that lancer, starline, Lehigh, etc have some sort of NDA agreement with Beck so if you can get any info its gonna be from Beck.

Good luck

For your ballistic criteria,
I would think a shortened .532 belted case or shortened 375 Ruger case would do the job. Probably the Ruger case.
Taper crimp and headspace on the case mouth.
Next step up would be a WSM or Short RUM case.

You might check with SSK , or see if there is a BM cat already produced that will fit the bill.

Thanks Cold Trigger Finger, it seems as though a WSM or a RUM would be the easiet and most common to find. I know that I opened this post up with the 510 Beck. However I'm actually trying to stay away from proprietary cartridges like the 510 Whisper as well as rimmed cartridges like the 50 Alaskan. I'm looking to get velocities as close to 1800fps as I can get.

375rifleman

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.