Are you noticing a trend?

Local Amish mill he cuts cheap even if his scale is using fuzzy math probably reminiscent of the new common core math taught in school. 1.5"x3.5"x96"=3.5bdft his math showed 5bdft. I laughed said wow that's some fuzzy math but whatever, what's my bill. $337 comes out to $1 per 8' of 2x4. No reason to make big deal out of his fuzzy math between friends he always lets me jump the line when I show up with logs and load them straight onto his log deck instead of waiting in turn. I'll pay a bit of a premium with a smile 😀
Heck yeah man!! Lots of small portable mills popping up around here and they are busy.
I'm a 25 year timber faller.

If you can't find a local mill owner I think Woodmizer's website can get you a list of guys local to you that have their brand small bandsaw mills.
Yep, my buddy just picked his up in July. He had to go to a all day class to operate it. That thing ain't shut off since. Lol

I owned an LT 40 Superhydraulic 40hp diesel for many years. Sold it when the Amish moved to our area. I was getting older and the fun of running a sawmill started to loose it's luster. I can get them to cut for $.25 a bdft and never touch it. I still have my lumber dehumidification kiln and dry lumber for a bit of resale once in a while. Sawmilling always was just a hobby for me. I normally have around 5000bdft of hardwood on hand at any one time just to feed my woodworking hobby.