Non-recovered Elk - my fault or bullet failure or both?

I need some group thought/opinion. Shot an elk in CO this week and failed to recover the animal. .

1) 100% my fault with shot placement. I should have aimed lower (and slightly further back) to account for the bullet traveling in an upward direction though the body. Basically, i might have hit the top of the front side lung, went under the spine, and over the top of the backside lung.

Thoughts?

I found two unrecovered elk on Thursday, in CO, maybe one was yours.

Sounds like you missed the mark by a good bit considering their lungs are about as big as a couch cushion.

I dialed the scope for the exact distance and inclination (and temp/density altitude/humidity).
375 yds is a long shot on groundhog, for me, using "Kentucky windage" , hold over.

For hunting, fixed dots at different yardages, placed in a scope would seem faster for me. Neighbor sent his 300 out to a company to have it done.
reticle.jpg

I hate to respond as it always sounds critical in this medium. Especially when others respond to other responders. A good chair and campfire this isn't. Sucks whatever happened.

I think too fine a point was put on shot selection, and the result was minimal vital tissue destroyed.

Lungs are big organ, whether we call it void, or marginal the result (semantics aside) is the same, and yes blood flow through much of it is low pressure, and just oozes, not flows. Around the edges of the lungs will lead to hard or no recovery.

I'm going with you made your shot, but made a low per centage choice.

Next time move behind the shoulder in the crease, and smash it.

One other scenario that has happened to us.

We shot one just like you did. There were other animals running around after the shot, and lost blood..... but then picked it up.... and didn't find the cow.

...Until we realized it was a different elk that was bleeding [not much but just enough to track a ways]

We went back to look at impact and ours was dead just past where we shot it.

Nothin worse than losing an elk! So much meat. I'm bummed for you. Wish you could have gotten a blood dog or something out there to help you. We've killed 5 bulls and cows with the 175 Berger Elite out of our 280 AI's. My daughter punched one right through the shoulder blade, lungs and out the opposite rib cage at 350 yds. I don't think the bullet failed you. I just got back from Idaho. Shot a cow with my 270 wsm, 170 grain Berger EOL at 505 yds. Velocity is 3020 fps so a little faster then the 280 AI with the 175. She was quartering away and I was 10 degrees below her. Aiming for the opposite shoulder I hit her right in the paunch, low, it blew up the bag went through 30 lbs of feed and got the opposite side lung. Barely! The rear part of the lung was damaged but she wasn't stopping. It slowed her enough she fell back as the herd left. She stood in the quakies and I feathered a follow up shot in the only place I could. Upper shoulder and it traveled forward and broke her neck. Dropped at the shot. The Berger's are fragile for sure, but beyond 300 yds they will penetrate even if you contact heavy bone. Long story long, I can't help but think shot placement was the issue. It happens to all of us if you hunt long enough. Fortunately for me I have had the benefits of a blood dog and always found my crippled animals, but I've had family and friends lose a few deer and bear. It just sucks but I'm sure you'll learn from it and be a better hunter moving forward.

Attachments

• 20231025_112718.jpg
    20231025_112718.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 42
I hate to respond as it always sounds critical in this medium. Especially when others respond to other responders. A good chair and campfire this isn't. Sucks whatever happened.

I think too fine a point was put on shot selection, and the result was minimal vital tissue destroyed.

Lungs are big organ, whether we call it void, or marginal the result (semantics aside) is the same, and yes blood flow through much of it is low pressure, and just oozes, not flows. Around the edges of the lungs will lead to hard or no recovery.

I'm going with you made your shot, but made a low per centage choice.

Next time move behind the shoulder in the crease, and smash it.
Thanks for the reply. I do agree that my hold was too high and too far forward. Lesson learned for sure.

Nothin worse than losing an elk! So much meat. I'm bummed for you. Wish you could have gotten a blood dog or something out there to help you. We've killed 5 bulls and cows with the 175 Berger Elite out of our 280 AI's. My daughter punched one right through the shoulder blade, lungs and out the opposite rib cage at 350 yds. I don't think the bullet failed you. I just got back from Idaho. Shot a cow with my 270 wsm, 170 grain Berger EOL at 505 yds. Velocity is 3020 fps so a little faster then the 280 AI with the 175. She was quartering away and I was 10 degrees below her. Aiming for the opposite shoulder I hit her right in the paunch, low, it blew up the bag went through 30 lbs of feed and got the opposite side lung. Barely! The rear part of the lung was damaged but she wasn't stopping. It slowed her enough she fell back as the herd left. She stood in the quakies and I feathered a follow up shot in the only place I could. Upper shoulder and it traveled forward and broke her neck. Dropped at the shot. The Berger's are fragile for sure, but beyond 300 yds they will penetrate even if you contact heavy bone. Long story long, I can't help but think shot placement was the issue. It happens to all of us if you hunt long enough. Fortunately for me I have had the benefits of a blood dog and always found my crippled animals, but I've had family and friends lose a few deer and bear. It just sucks but I'm sure you'll learn from it and be a better hunter moving forward.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like those Bergers performed really really well. I'll be adjusting my shot placement next time for sure. I probably won't be using those Bergers, but that's just a psychological decision moving forward.

Am sorry that you lost your elk. That's no good. Am glad that you brought it up here for discussion. We can learn a lot from each other.

I don't hunt elk often and have taken only three. The first two dropped almost instantly, within a few seconds, but I got an education on how tough they can be earlier this year with a 405 yard shot and my 30-06... The 178 gr Hornady ELD-X broke a fore-leg on the way in, shattered the bone. Then went through the heart.

She wobbled, looked like she was going down, then rallied her strength and took out after the herd, even went over a low fence! I was afraid that she was going to get away, but eventually I caught up and was able to finish her at much closer range.

They are tenacious and strong. No doubt about it.

Regards, Guy

We shot 8 bull elk, oryx , deer with175 EH out of 280AI, and 180 EH out of 30-06. Shots from 200-600 yards, they have dumped everything without fail. Some of the elk were high shoulder shots, dumped them instantly. I tend to think you missed the mark just a touch. One reason I dont do a high shoulder shot, there is a dead zone that a bullet can potentially pass through. My hunting partner likes the high shoulder and has worked for him flawlessly.

Am sorry that you lost your elk. That's no good. Am glad that you brought it up here for discussion. We can learn a lot from each other.

I don't hunt elk often and have taken only three. The first two dropped almost instantly, within a few seconds, but I got an education on how tough they can be earlier this year with a 405 yard shot and my 30-06... The 178 gr Hornady ELD-X broke a fore-leg on the way in, shattered the bone. Then went through the heart.

She wobbled, looked like she was going down, then rallied her strength and took out after the herd, even went over a low fence! I was afraid that she was going to get away, but eventually I caught up and was able to finish her at much closer range.

They are tenacious and strong. No doubt about it.

Regards, Guy
Thanks for sharing your story.

Those elk are tough animals for sure! Hard to believe just how tough really.

We shot 8 bull elk, oryx , deer with175 EH out of 280AI, and 180 EH out of 30-06. Shots from 200-600 yards, they have dumped everything without fail. Some of the elk were high shoulder shots, dumped them instantly. I tend to think you missed the mark just a touch. One reason I dont do a high shoulder shot, there is a dead zone that a bullet can potentially pass through. My hunting partner likes the high shoulder and has worked for him flawlessly.
Thanks for sharing! It's possible that the bullet did find its way through the animal, but missed any vitals. I do believe that I hit where I was aiming, but I might have been aiming in the wrong location in the heat of moment. Lesson learned for sure

This is the long range hunting forum, perhaps you thought it was the short range forum?
Not at all. I think that the OP is one of few that are being honest about what happened and the potential outcome of shooting beyond capabilities-both ballistically and personal. Darrel Wick

Any time you pull the trigger, the responsibility for the outcome rests squarely on your shoulders.
Cartridge selection, bullet choice, aim, decision to take the shot. All choices made by you.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like those Bergers performed really really well. I'll be adjusting my shot placement next time for sure. I probably won't be using those Bergers, but that's just a psychological decision moving forward.
I don't blame you there. We match the Bergers to the terrain we hunt. When we hunt the timber and shot are 25-300 yds I shoot a 338 win mag with 250 grain bullets. My daughter shoots a 308 win with 165 Accubonds and my son shoots 308 win with 165 Scirocco bullets. Seems counter intuitive to shoot smaller calibers at farther distance but it's all about pinpoint accuracy and fighting the wind with a high BC bullet. We don't all shoot Bergers. My son and nephews shoot 168 grain Accubond LRs. They have been the amazing! My dad and brother shoot Hammers. My buddy shoots Sierra's. The bullet is important but not as important as the placement of course.