7mm SS Bullet Suggestion For Elk?

Keep the Partition IMPACT velocity at 1800 fps or faster and they are awesome. Every bullet has a 'threshold'. 1800 fps isn't asking too much. If I was needing expansion out to 750/800 yards, I'd be looking at the ELD-X or the Accubond (or ABLR).

Try 2200 fps to see reliability in both the partion and accubond.

But it is NOT 2200 fps. It is 1800 fps.
I know you love the Bergers, Bigngreen. That's great. They are working for you. Yea! But the Partitions are a known, proven, exceptional hunting projectile. They are NOT the best "long range" hunting bullet, but they can still get the job done if a person uses them within their expansion minimum threshold of...1800 fps.
upload_2019-7-12_17-31-2.png

Ya, I don't go of marketing but digging bullets out of stuff and I try to find the bullets that pass through and I've got them below 2200 fps and found perfect bullets so I don't drop below that because of actually recovering bullets not marketing. What do you think I shot before Berger's?

You know they shoot those bullets into water for marketing pics right, Barnes does the same thing, way different than hitting flesh!!

But it is NOT 2200 fps. It is 1800 fps.
I know you love the Bergers, Bigngreen. That's great. They are working for you. Yea! But the Partitions are a known, proven, exceptional hunting projectile. They are NOT the best "long range" hunting bullet, but they can still get the job done if a person uses them within their expansion minimum threshold of...1800 fps.
View attachment 141218
It would be nice to know if that soft tissue , bone, etc.

Why are you so 'threatened' that the Nosler Partition is a great hunting bullet? It doesn't make your Berger/Barnes/Hornady/etc. any LESS of a great bullet. And you don't even have to like or use Partitions. America! Live the dream. Shoot what you want. But the harder you try to tear them down, well, it doesn't look good on you. Rise above. It's a proven design with a reputation built over the years (since 1948) in the hunting fields by millions of men and women, both on this Continent and in Africa and everywhere else people pursue game. It may not be your preference and that's fine. But when you say "Needs 2200 FPS to expand", and that's just not true, someone needs to point out the error. Nicely. Politely. Using facts. That's all I'm trying to do. And with that...I'm moving on.

Why are you so 'threatened' that the Nosler Partition is a great hunting bullet? It doesn't make your Berger/Barnes/Hornady/etc. any LESS of a great bullet. And you don't even have to like or use Partitions. America! Live the dream. Shoot what you want. But the harder you try to tear them down, well, it doesn't look good on you. Rise above. It's a proven design with a reputation built over the years (since 1948) in the hunting fields by millions of men and women, both on this Continent and in Africa and everywhere else people pursue game. It may not be your preference and that's fine. But when you say "Needs 2200 FPS to expand", and that's just not true, someone needs to point out the error. Nicely. Politely. Using facts. That's all I'm trying to do. And with that...I'm moving on.
OK I guess we'll do this, if your going to quote someone try to actually quote what they say not what your brain thinks it read, NO WHERE DID I SAY "Needs 2200 fps to expand" as a statement but that is where reliability to expand starts dropping of if you actually shoot them into game and dig them out.
Facts, I've shot them through game and dug them out from behind them with the nose barely deformed, I've pulled them out of elk and the bullet was like new with absolutely no deformation to the nose, I've taken them low and I know where the RELIABLE line is, ya you can take them lower and I have and will but I know where I really start watching them and 2200 FPS have proven it multiple times to be a line.
I would load a recommend a Partition any day of the week based on it's operating parameters, on a long range forum you'd have to be nearly ignorant to recommend a partition without bring up where you better be looking at a different bullet cause we can pass that line fast.
I am absolutely in no way threatened, all I care about is what works the most consistently and most lethal to give a guy every advantage in long range hunting which last time I looked is the forum we are on. I have projects based on all kinds of bullet including partitions that have no relevance on this forum so you can make up quotes and be butt hurt all you want, just doesn't really bother me!!

Just found out I drew my first elk tag for this fall/winter. Planning on taking my 7 Sherman Short. Hunting primarily in Iowa, I dont get to test performance of centerfire hunting bullets, so really looking for some suggestions from people that do get to use them a lot.

Looking for something that will be capable from 100-~750. I dont intend to shoot further than 300-400, but if the conditions call for it, I want the capability to do it.
Looking towards the heavy(ier) end of the spectrum 170gr+ to help with wind (hunting around the Cheyenne area)
Plan to use H1000 (for temp stability)
Needs to be able to handle a shoulder shot if it happens
The easier to load for, the better. My 800 yard range is about an hour drive so weekly trips arent feasible, so I can't be constantly testing.
Barrel is 26" 1-8 so I expect velocities from a 175-180 class bullet to come in around 2975-3050 depending on where the node is.
.110 free bore (will be mag-fed from a SA 2.950 max COAL)

ELD-X 175?
ABLR 175?
Berger 180 VLDH?
Others?
Thanks a lot!
Congratulations on the tag. Forget the ELD-X. They don't /won't hold together. I would recommend North Fork, Swift Sirocco, Barnes or Nosler Accubond bullets if you handload

So many great choices and some good advice. Pick three premium to try and let the gun taste them. If you want a trial pack I have 40 or more of almost every one mentioned lol. 160 ab, 150ablr (my .280 AI loves), 150ttsx barnes, 131 hammer that are right with the 150ablr's, 150np, 140 e-tip... Probably forgetting a few. Anyway if you want ten of something I'll send them for the shipping. Excluding the 150ablr and the hammers. Hint hint

If you can get the velocity out of your gun the Berger 195 EOL have been flawless in my 28 nosler. I took many elk with Partitions 270-300 mag and they usually got the job done. I've owned several rifles they just wouldn't shoot in! Shot antelope thru elk with Berger's in 6.5, 7, 300, and 338 and so far stellar results!

I want to say this.....I do not have experience with these two bullets BUt I was like you looking for a bullet that would perform in my 300 Weatherby, and the issue I have is that I can shoot @48yds out to as far as the eye can see.....so I needed a bullet that would be able to operate at a wide range of distances.....from my research off several forums and countless YouTube videos, I believe you have a huge selection of modern bullets that work great, now with that being said......I personally have decided to go with the 200gr Berger hybrids with the 1:10 factory barrel I have, and once I replace the barrel with my Hart barrel that will be a 1:9 I plan on shooting 195-200ish grain Hammers.....I really like what I have read and seen on both. I currently shoot 110gr Accubonds out of my 257weatherby and have killed countless deer with it from 48yds out to 350yds and they have performed extremely well!!! And I have shot 100gr barns vortex and have never not recovered a deer and have dropped several of them......but I have not liked the bullet performance after I have recovered them, I think the barns bullets are a very hard copper bullet and main reason I have killed what I have with them is because of shot placement. This has all been in river bottom white tails ranging from 185-235lbs. I hope this long post helps and the main thing is, as far as hunting goes.....you can't go wrong with several of the bullets already mentioned. Only one I personally would stay away from is Barns, just because "I" think it's too hard for what "I" like! Not saying it's a bad pill!! Lol

I just ordered up some 195 Berger's, H1000, and N565 to try in my 7SS. I'm not an oryx hunter but supposedly the heart is further forward. I figured the 195 won't hurt as long as they shoot decent. If not I'll try some 180 Bergers or might even look into the Hammer line.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.