7mm SS Bullet Suggestion For Elk?

Thanks for all the replies. My brother gave me some 195s to try, I have some 175 ABLR to test and will give the 180 Berger a run. Possibly the 177 hammer, but not sure they will fit in the mag.

Look seriously at the 143 Hammer Hunter driven around 32-3300, 177 HHs, 180 Bergers around 3000fps probably in that order. I drive the 143 at a very mild 3500mv in my 28 nosler. Zero at 300, hold hair to 400, take a little time to run numbers after that.

Last edited:
143 Hammer Hunter driven around 32-3300, 177 HHs, 180 Bergers around 3000fps probably in that order.
The problem going that light is I don't get to practice wyoming wind calls much so I need all the wind bucking help I can get.

Speed helps the wind call to a certain degree
Ehhh....there needs to be quite a spread in velocity - much more than I'll get from a 7 sherman. For example , this is a 140 going 3250 vs a 180 going 3000 in a 15 mph crosswind. After 300, that 180 starts dominating in the wind and energy
kUFzQnB.png

QEqV8PN.png

I've shot a lot of the 177 Hammers, 180 ELDM and 195 Bergers, the 177 Hammer flat hunts BUT even in my Nosler after 600 you start seeing why I also shot the other two along with the 177HH.

Rhian, how do you recommend switching between the HHs and Bergers? I hunt the Idaho Panhandle shots are either 50 yds or 500+. I love how the 180s shoot but the Hammer s hunt! Switching between copper alloys causes a bit of heartache accuracy-wise. Do you start with clean bore for either long or short range or something else?

Rhian, how do you recommend switching between the HHs and Bergers? I hunt the Idaho Panhandle shots are either 50 yds or 500+. I love how the 180s shoot but the Hammer s hunt! Switching between copper alloys causes a bit of heartache accuracy-wise. Do you start with clean bore for either long or short range or something else?
I've had really good luck between the two, the worst issues I've seen is Nosler and Berger bullets gumming up, the Hammers engrave so lightly they just aren't effecting things like a bullet that coppers heavier.
I don't run the Hammers a lot in season, just to wack meat but the Berger I shoot a cold bore shot every outing since it's the long range choice so really I'll send one Hammer down for every 20 Bergers during season so no real issue. I zero for both bullets in Applied ballistics but zero on target for the Hammers and just swap out the Hammer when the range gets to the Berger zone, dial up and let it ride! The first year I did this, I tipped a cow over with a Hammer then later that day let one hold a Berger at a distance it looks like would send most in this thread to a safe space and it was nuts cold bore one round needed! So far they swap very cleanly!

I've shot a lot of the 177 Hammers, 180 ELDM and 195 Bergers, the 177 Hammer flat hunts BUT even in my Nosler after 600 you start seeing why I also shot the other two along with the 177HH.
Can you elaborate? What issues did you run into w/ the hammers?

I really like the 175 grain Speer Grand Slam and Speer Mag Tip (if you can find them) bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.