Non-recovered Elk - my fault or bullet failure or both?

Only because you asked for opinions it's #2 for me. I am not a fan at all of Berger Bullets for hunting things I will eat. Of all the bullets I have used/witnessed (yes have shot elk with Bergers) being used for +40yrs Berger is the only one I expect to and know will FAIL! Fail to me is a good enough hit and the animal does not lock/pile up immediately or does the 20yd bolt and fall.

Only because you asked for opinions it's #2 for me. I am not a fan at all of Berger Bullets for hunting things I will eat. Of all the bullets I have used/witnessed (yes have shot elk with Bergers) being used for +40yrs Berger is the only one I expect to and know will FAIL! Fail to me is a good enough hit and the animal does not lock/pile up immediately or does the 20yd bolt and fall.
Honest question what bullet kills quicker than a Berger with good shot placement?

Honest question what bullet kills quicker than a Berger with good shot placement?
I think with perfect shot placement, all bullets will do the job just fine. The harder question to answer, if the shot placement is marginal (like in my case), would the same hold and bullet impact location had a different result with something like a partition or Barnes bullet? If I would have been shooting a different bullet, would I be eating elk stew right now!

That off the OP's question and we don't need to start a bullet debate again but just about all bullets cup and core drop animals as fast as Bergers. Sierra Game king, Hornady eld-m, nosler Ballistic Tips, Speer Spitzer BT. I've shot em all, they all kill on the spot when placed in the sweet spot.

Thanks for sharing! It's possible that the bullet did find its way through the animal, but missed any vitals. I do believe that I hit where I was aiming, but I might have been aiming in the wrong location in the heat of moment. Lesson learned for sure
Try to put, "this Experience" out of, your Head and, DON'T Blame, yourself !
Learn from, IT and go, On ! ( I wouldn't jump to conclusions and, Blame the "Bullet", Unless,.. you KNOW,.. exactly, WHAT happened ).
IF, the Elk was Mortally wounded and, it Died,.. YOU Fed,..
the Bears, Coyotes, Crows, Magpies, Worms and a few, others,.. SO the Meat, won't be,.. "Wasted" !
Sadly,.. just NOT, your Family.
Hopefully, you'll HAVE,.. better Luck,.. NEXT Time

I've had great success with Hammers on deer and antelope. Next year it will be my choice for elk.
Seems we come back to this again. I have to agree. I look at betters like mechanical broadheads when they work they are devastating. When they don't it's heartbreak. I would wager it was bullet failure. After all the camps and different guides I've used out west, Texas and Africa. Every single one has a story just like this. To the point I no longer chase highest bc or quickest kill just want it dead. I had a good run with cutting edge but have since moved to hammers and am super happy. Bullets do what you expect every time. Can't think of a single time I thought I had bullet failure since using them on close to or over 1000 animals.

I have yet to see a bonded or mono kill as fast as a rapid upsetting bullet but use what you prefer. More on the shelves for me!
Yep but they kill. I'd rather have a dead elk at 150 yards than one not recovered.

That's the best part we have choices and some will continue to use them even knowing a chance of failure could cost them a bull like Rick's.

I think with perfect shot placement, all bullets will do the job just fine. The harder question to answer, if the shot placement is marginal (like in my case), would the same hold and bullet impact location had a different result with something like a partition or Barnes bullet? If I would have been shooting a different bullet, would I be eating elk stew right now!
NOT,.. Necessarily,..
A .300 WSM with 180 Partitions,.. PROBABLY would have left,.. a Blood Trail, tho !

Not at all. I think that the OP is one of few that are being honest about what happened and the potential outcome of shooting beyond capabilities-both ballistically and personal. Darrel Wick
I think it shows who he is, that he admits to a personal failure- especially on a public forum but I'm still having a hard time with the second part of your response.

The guy shoots PRS frequently to well beyond 375, so his ability is there.

I'm not familiar with a 7 Sherman Short but with his listed performance that doesn't seem an issue, either.

Or am I missing something?

To me, it sounds like either a bullet failure or he picked the wrong spot but I don't see 375 being too long of a shot.

Just my $.02.

I think I'm going this route too. I'm not putting 100% of the blame on the bullet, but something just wasn't right. I was prone at 375 yards, solid as a rock. I went the Berger route, because that is what I shoot in my PRS long range shooting competitions and they shoot good at long distance. The longer version of this story is I spotted this heard at 800 yards away. And I make 800 yard shots all the time at my competition matches, so I decided to go for it. But with only a backpack and small rear bag with me, my wobble zone was probably 18" or more. So I decided against pulling the trigger. By the time I could get back in view of the heard due to the terrain, I was 375 away.

So like you, my shots will likely be within 500/600 yards as well. I tried to get stable at 800 yards, but without a bipod and rear sandbag, I don't see that distance happening in my future.
That is exactly my experience also which is what helped me be more ok with giving up bc and being more realistic. Sure some of my big calibers lost some maximum distance but those shots were much more rare and much harder to get setup and stable for. It's definitely a give and a take. But I'm still able to reach targets out very far with hammers. I just know most my shots will not be over 1k and more likely under 600 so I know I can rely on my bullet in bone or not