Non-recovered Elk - my fault or bullet failure or both?

It's been proven over and over there is no "void".
IMG_3660.jpeg

Everything is proven over and over until it isn't. This buck was shot just below the spine and lived for two weeks before being killed by another hunter.

Right....Respected animals are a totally different level of sportsmanship than a target. I was taught to hunt, and that's what I do. Shooting long was something I did to protect.
This being a Long Range Hunting forum, 375 is nowhere near what some will shoot. It's an individual decision and as such is not open to criticism, if I read the forum rules correctly.

I'm not sure why so many folks jump to bullet failure based on 'I think it hit the right spot bc I usually do' when the aim point sounds like it was off as well. If one were to only read this forum they would think bullet failures happen like 50% of the time with an animal that isn't recovered.

Last edited:
View attachment 512116
Everything is proven over and over until it isn't. This buck was shot just below the spine and lived for two weeks before being killed by another hunter.
Doesn't prove there's a void. Elk have lived on one lung plenty of times. A high lung shot, in this case, the very top of the lungs, is easily less lethal. Look at a deer, the lungs go to the top of the cavity. There's no arguing.

IF, your Rifle "Likes them",.. Nosler Partitions, Kill,.. real, WELL !
Usually will get,.. a "Pass Thru" and,.. a Blood trail
Keep distance to, 500-600 yards or, so,.. as they're NOT,.. Berger's and, even STILL,..
there's NO, Guarantee !
I Loved my .338 Win Mag.,.. spittin' out, 210 gr Noslers at 2,975 FPS on Elk ( When Younger ).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many folks jump to bullet failure based on 'I think it hit the right spot bc I usually do' when the aim point sounds like it was off as well. If one were to only read this forum they would think bullet failures happen like 50% of the time with an animal isn't recovered.
AGREE,.. ^^^
Without doing an "Autopsy" to see, the Bullet Path and Damage, THIS is, ALL, Speculation

AGREE,.. ^^^
Without doing an "Autopsy" to see, the Bullet Path and Damage, THIS is, ALL, Speculation and,.
Bullets probably Fail,.. less than, 10% of the Time
Last year I shot a bull with my bow. He was a really nice 6x6 minutes after shooting light on opening morning. He was standing in a meadow, 29 yards broadside. I released the arrow and said out loud "he's dead". We never found him. That was 29 yards and my "perfect" placement obviously wasn't. A lot easier to see the impact of an arrow at 29 yards than a bullet through a scope at 375. The eyes can fool you is all I can say.

The 175 elite tends to kill pretty darn good. At center of body elevation you're right above the humerus/scapula joint. I doubt you hit near the joint, that placement tends to disable them fairly well or is at least very noticeable as that leg gets pretty worthless even if the bullet didn't continue past the shoulder (which I would doubt, it's a cow elk not a cape buff)

If I had to take a wild guess I would say you shot high and above the spine. With an uphill shot if you were holding direct center of body it doesn't take much of a miss to shoot above the spine right on the "hump" where the spine drops a little lower.

Not much blood, stops bleeding quickly, not holding a leg up like it's broken etc. It just sounds like an above the spine shot.

The 175 elite tends to kill pretty darn good. At center of body elevation you're right above the humerus/scapula joint. I doubt you hit near the joint, that placement tends to disable them fairly well or is at least very noticeable as that leg gets pretty worthless even if the bullet didn't continue past the shoulder (which I would doubt, it's a cow elk not a cape buff)

If I had to take a wild guess I would say you shot high and above the spine. With an uphill shot if you were holding direct center of body it doesn't take much of a miss to shoot above the spine right on the "hump" where the spine drops a little lower.

Not much blood, stops bleeding quickly, not holding a leg up like it's broken etc. It just sounds like an above the spine shot.
Never thought about the spine dipping in this area. (Actually had to google the image that shows this dip). Given the uphill trajectory of the bullet, I could see this as a real possibility.

You must of hit that bull in the void, like I've found several 6x6's I've shot had arrows there, among other places to.Ive shot them straight threw neck with a 340wby and had to track 1/2 mile.In country like this The cow I don't know gave up the 7mm 40 years ago for elk
IMG_3376.jpeg

Last edited: