Oryx down! And 300 gr Berger Elite hunter recovered

Congratulations on a great animal and story.

I was wondering, how do they taste compared to elk? Thanks.

Congratulations on a great animal and story.

I was wondering, how do they taste compared to elk? Thanks.
Can't speak for him but it's without a doubt one of the best wild meats you'll ever taste.

Sweet, tender and naturally juicy. The closest thing I can relate it to is lamb. We had mine killed, dressed, and "in the salt" as they say by about 2pm, by 3pm it was in the deep freeze "chilling down" and by eight pm we were eating it. One of the best meals I had on the whole trip. I'd eaten it before as a young kid on a trip to Kerrville, TX and it stuck in my mind for more than forty years before I got my next bite of it.

It's definitely one you don't want to waste any meat from.

Can't speak for him but it's without a doubt one of the best wild meats you'll ever taste.

Sweet, tender and naturally juicy. The closest thing I can relate it to is lamb. We had mine killed, dressed, and "in the salt" as they say by about 2pm, by 3pm it was in the deep freeze "chilling down" and by eight pm we were eating it. One of the best meals I had on the whole trip. I'd eaten it before as a young kid on a trip to Kerrville, TX and it stuck in my mind for more than forty years before I got my next bite of it.

It's definitely one you don't want to waste any meat from.

The closest thing that I have ever had two it would be fresh buffalo. It is absolutely amazing and it does not require any soaking for much beyond salt and pepper are your favorite dry rub

The closest thing that I have ever had two it would be fresh buffalo. It is absolutely amazing and it does not require any soaking for much beyond salt and pepper are your favorite dry rub
Man that brings back some memories. We got to eat fresh Bison when I was at Philmont Scout Ranch about a hundred years ago.

One of these days you'll catch up to a Nilgi down there and really have something close for comparison.

In my experience all of the true antelope species taste very similar.

Man that brings back some memories. We got to eat fresh Bison when I was at Philmont Scout Ranch about a hundred years ago.

One of these days you'll catch up to a Nilgi down there and really have something close for comparison.

In my experience all of the true antelope species taste very similar.

I caught up to one. It didn't like 300 hrs bergers

It's crazy to try to describe it but the meat actually feels different when you grab a hold of it. It is super soft and tender. I can see why it is a preferred meal of lions.

Great hunt, great shooting, great report. Nothing like well documented data. The Elite Hunters in the Lapua do work well together. We recovered 3 this past season from elk that look just like that. Most weighed closer to 50% though.

Thanks
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts