Berger Elite Hunter Reviews

Berger is already cheaper than pretty much all other premium hunting bullets. Cheaper than Nosler, Swift, Barnes, etc. so not sure what you're expecting? You might find some sites that sell for a few bucks cheaper, but not gonna get the deal of the century. Best bet is to wait for storeqide sales if you want to save a few bucks
I'm not expecting anything.Just wanted to know where anyone was buying theirs.Happy reloading.

The 150 shoots very good in my 6.5 PRC. Didn't take long to find a load. The 175 shoots really good in my 7 LRM. I've killed 2 Coues deer and a cow elk with them. All three died very quickly. All Berger's perform about the same on game. They expand rapidly and cause a very quickly expanding wound cavity with a wide band of hydro shock. They almost never exit on stuff larger than a Coues deer.

I forgot to add my Son in law runs the 215 bergers in his 300 Win. He took his Elk last year around 315 yards . One and done . A few years back took his 180" mule deer at 705 yrds. One shot ! We are sold on the Bergers in our Family !!

Rum Man

I was told by someone who knows and through pulling a few down for comparison the 6.5 creed with 135 Classic hunters is using a commercially available powder that is known for its temp stability and is considered the go to powder for the creedmoor. I have since duplicated the load based on the data with identical performance in my AR-10. Haven't asked or looked into any of the others, I bought the loaded ammo as it was cheaper than buying Lapua brass and Berger bullets, not counting powder and primers. They shot spectacularly so I just stuck with reloading to the same spec.

Yep, hybrid ogive with a thinner jacket as compared to the target line to ensure expansion on game. They definitely expand. My experience is they shed roughly 2/3 their weight as frag. I rarely find much if any bullet on the offside of the animal
I have had Berger hunting bullets expand to much. So I use the Hybrids for game now and have been pleased. Just my 2 cents on the topic

I have had Berger hunting bullets expand to much. So I use the Hybrids for game now and have been pleased. Just my 2 cents on the topic
What was your experience that lead to you considering them too much expansion? I shoot the 215 30 cal hybrids and 180 7mm hybrids in a few rifles as well and like their on game performance as many others also have said on other threads.

I used a 180 VLD hunting 3 years ago on a mule deer. It expanded so much that it blew apart on the ribs and killed well, but didn't punch through. I prefer a pass through. I also saw footage from my buddy guiding a hunter. They shot the bull 3 times and only one bullet reached vitals. With the Hybrid bullet having a heavier jacket I have seen them make it to the other side of the hide or pass through. I have been pleased with the Hybrid bullets. They are so accurate and do great on game. That's my experience so far.

I use a lot of Bergers in various hunting rifles of my own.
6CM 105 Hybrid
6.5SLR 140 HVLD
6.5SS 140 Hybrid
6.5SS (new one) will shoot the 140 Hybrid or the 156 Elite if it ever comes out
.280AI 175 Elite Hunter
7RM 180 Hybrid
.300RUM 215 & 230 Hybrid

All have worked phenomenally on game from jackrabbits to big bull elk. From 16 to 1365 yards.

Last edited:
My experience was with the 140gr 6.5 Creedmoor. Lung shot at 80 yards, went through like a pencil, no expansion. deer jumped up ran 50 yards another lung shot, blew the clot out from the first shot. Deer did die.

love the accuracy but going with Hammers or 143 ELDX this year. i think the elite hunters are for longer range shots

I had a similar experience. I was using 250 hunters in my 338 win mag. They were only starting out at about 2600. I hit a nice buck at about 150 yards. He proceeded to run almost 300 yards across the field I was watching. Stopped just inside the wood line and I hit him again. That time he only went in the woods about 30 yards. Both shots were just behind the shoulder and angled back.

After that I went to Hornady SST 200 and that bullet just leveled the last buck I shot. I decided to try the 230 ELD-X in hope of finding an all around load whether it be deer sized or elk or a moose (maybe someday). I found a great load with the 230, but haven't gotten to shoot anything with it yet.

I've used elites and hybrids. All had predictable performance from DRT to 30 yard recovery.
Even had one that appeared to have penciled thru, but the insides looked like they were stew. What a mess!
I typically lung shoot.
Just check for a clogged tip with a paper clip and you're good.

I used the 180 Berger elite hunters on a 380 inch elk last year and he dropped right in his tracks at about 50 yards. Also shot great groups getting ready for the hunt. 300 WM.

Lost a real nice axis buck this last year with a 130 VLD grain Berger 6.5 out of a 6.5 Grendel.

Now my experience with a elite hunter has al been with a 338 250 grain...And all has been good. I shot most of these out of a 33 Nosler or a 338 Norma...and most have been on small animals. One blackbuck 5 whitetail, one Corsican ram, and an Aoudad ewe...and yeah they worked...but I'll tell you Bergers scare the hell out of me....they work--but man they come apart....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.