156gr Berger EOL Elite Hunter Reviews

DocTorT

anyone have any experience with this bullet?

Thoughts would be to use on Elk with the higher BC out of the wife's 6.5CM at under 400/500 yards

Ha!
ive read plenty of posts/threads but have not seen much of anything on the 156gr in a 6.5CM.

many posters do say use heavy for caliber which this would be, which would keep the FPS down and essentially would ensure expansion.

also to make sure the tips are open.

just curious of performance of the 156gr 6.5CM on Elk, and large mule deer.

Shot him about a week ago in Colorado with my 6.5 SAUM using the 156 Berger. 350 Yards... he dropped where he stood.

1604355216746.png

I would not use with a creedmoor, I might have got in a similar situation I used a 130 grain berger bullet it a 6.5 Grendel, and lost 2 animals with well placed shots...proper velocity is needed with bergers, and I don't know if a creed has enough gas behind a 156...a 264 win, PRC, 26 Nosler, or 6.5-284...I'd say 260 or creed, would be at the very minimum.

I get 2880 or so in my creedmoor with the 140 VLD and I feel like that is pretty ideal...I wouldn't want to jump up...the barrel is speeding up a bit and I don't know if it will continue but seems to be leveling off.

I use the VLD 168 in a 280ai and the 195 in a 28N so I like having the bullets spaced out in weight. If I wanted something like the 156 I'd just use my 280 Ackley with the 168.

Shot 2 deer this year with the 135's. 1 at 550 and 1 under 100 yards.
Wound cavities looked identical and both dropped in the tracks.
I agree I would stick with the 135/140 just for the extra velocity (which ensures expansion.)
Which bullet specifically are you taking about here?

And would you say that these would be enough for elk?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts