130 Swift Scirocco vs 156 Berger EOL Elite hunter

I just ordered some 130 swift to try out. We shall see. Thinking about just re-selling my used brass since I don't reload and ammo is so high for this gun. What's 6.5-300 brass going for these days? And where's a good place to sell? Think I could make at least 50$ back per 20 on the once-shot brass?
I would not shoot a lot of that brass as you will soon realize what targets shooters all know "Barrels are Consumable." Shortly after the WSM came out I built a 6.5 WSM which probably has less capacity than the 6.5-300 Weatherby, I found it a dream to shoot and deadly on whitetails. After 500 rounds I found the accuracy went down like a rock and scoped the barrel and it was toast. Others that have done the 6.5 WSM since have found similar results.

I have no problem with burning barrels out, in the long run I spend a lot less money on barrels than gas, tires, ... to go hunting or shooting, but I bring it up as a PSA. Find a load that works and shoot it sparingly, 500 rounds is more than most hunting guns get shot in their lifetime.

I would not shoot a lot of that brass as you will soon realize what targets shooters all know "Barrels are Consumable." Shortly after the WSM came out I built a 6.5 WSM which probably has less capacity than the 6.5-300 Weatherby, I found it a dream to shoot and deadly on whitetails. After 500 rounds I found the accuracy went down like a rock and scoped the barrel and it was toast. Others that have done the 6.5 WSM since have found similar results.

I have no problem with burning barrels out, in the long run I spend a lot less money on barrels than gas, tires, ... to go hunting or shooting, but I bring it up as a PSA. Find a load that works and shoot it sparingly, 500 rounds is more than most hunting guns get shot in their lifetime.
Yea it would probably take me at least 8 years to burn out this barrel as I'm only using it for hunting. And I don't do much long range hunting so probably longer than that. A few years down the road from now I will probably get a replacement barrel just so I have it ready for whenever I start losing accuracy. I went into buying this gun knowing I'd only get 500-1000 accurate shots with the barrel

Nice looking gun! Here's the vanguard I just bought. It's the weatherguard bronze cerakote model. Still needs some glass, haven't decided what I want to put on it yet.

Attachments

• 8EAA5EB0-8F02-40FC-8A09-F3ECD587FB7E.jpeg
    8EAA5EB0-8F02-40FC-8A09-F3ECD587FB7E.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 41
  • A690EE86-5E92-46B2-9BE6-B2FD4245F6D8.jpeg
    A690EE86-5E92-46B2-9BE6-B2FD4245F6D8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • F00DE58E-0FE3-4ED6-A51F-A02B030DCE36.jpeg
    F00DE58E-0FE3-4ED6-A51F-A02B030DCE36.jpeg
    950.9 KB · Views: 42
I've shot a mountain goat, elk and mule deer with the 130 scirocco. Goat and elk at 100 and the deer around 300. Elk went 100 yards with a heart shot, goat went 25 yards and deer dropped in its tracks with a high shoulder shot. I've shot an elk and antelope with the 156, both at 350 yards. The 156 had two completely different results but both were down. The scirocco was more consistent.

If the scirocco shoots in your gun I'd go with that. I'd not hesitate to shoot the scirocco at 600 if it shoots in your gun.

I'm trying the 143 Norma Bondstrike in Africa in two weeks since I had such good results with the scirocco. I'm hoping it's just a heavier scirocco.
Interested in results of the Norma, following

I have loaded for a couple 6.5-.300 Wbys. 127 LRX, 130 NAB, 140 NAB. Fast and flat for all 3 was the desire. They all perform great on game.

Me, personally? With that size case, with a 1:8", I would go 156s. Just pummel the deer into submission.

That said, I shoot a lot of smaller cased 6.5mms.
6.5CM w. 130 OTM
6.5SLR w. 130 OTM
.260AI w. 130 OTM
6.5PRC w. 140 Hyb
6.5PRC/SI w. 140 Elite
6.5SS (20") w. 130 OTM or 130 TMK
6.5SS (26") w. 156 Elite

Wow! Didn't realize that WBY$$$$ is the only one that makes ammo for the 6.5-300 WBY until I saw this blog and started looking.
I'm loading Hornady 147 ELDM (BC .697) in my 6.5 PRC with good accuracy.

I messaged https://www.superiorammo.com/ the company Txheartshot recommended for a test box. Told them I'd like a test box with

Nosler accubond long range 150 gr
Nosler accubond long range 142 gr
Hornady eldx 143 gr
Speer impact 140 gr
Swift scirocco 130 gr

Still haven't heard back but I will post test results if they pull through and send a box.

So I just spoke on the phone with Lonnie over at superiorammo.com, great guy to deal with very knowledgeable. He said he doesn't have much brass inventory for the 6.5-300 and his supply of 6.5 bullets has been so sporadic that he wouldn't feel comfortable giving me a test pack because by the time I figure out what the gun likes he might not be able to build a large supply of it.

I bought 5 boxes of factory ammo loaded with the 130 sciroccos and he said that's a fantastic bullet if the gun likes it. Said if I can find a local reloader I can play around with the seating depth to get them to shoot right. Hoping that they shoot good right out the box because I don't know any local reloaders🥲

All at 100 yards: Shot a box of 140 grain interlocks just to break the barrel in since they are the cheapest 6.5-300 loads. They shot 1-1.25" groups. Then shot a 3 shot and a 2 shot group with the 130 sciroccos. The 3 shot was 1", 2 shot was .75". I found that with all the groups I shot with both types, the first 2 shots were super close (most touching each other) and the 3rd was always a flyer. Figured this may be because of how hot of a load this cartridge is, after letting the barrel completely cool between groups, the barrel was too hot to touch after just 2 shots. Which explains the 1-1.25" flyer almost every 3rd shot. I was also shooting with a 10 mph crosswind with 15-20 mph gusts. I'm happy with the sciroccos performance out this gun, deer hunting I shouldn't have to fire a 3rd consecutive shot very often. Good to know the interlocks shoot just as well, they can be a cheap go-to if I can't find sciroccos available. Though I plan to buy at least 10 boxes of sciroccos now that I know they shoot well, they are the pill of choice for me.

Interested in results of the Norma, following
The 143 Norma Bondstrike killed a Kudu straight on and a waterbuck broadside. Kudu went 60 yards and the the waterbuck about 40. Took a second shot on the waterbuck since it presented one but it wasn't necessary. Vegetation is crazy heavy in Limpopo and it didn't want to take a chance.

Both were close. Waterbuck was 100 and kudu was 170.

I have the Meateater. It loves the 130 Swift Sirocco and 127LRX Barnes. Both will take down anything in the lower 48.
And they are very accurate from the factory. Hope you enjoy your 6.5-300 as much as I love mine. 👍
And I will add site in at 200yds, your good to 300 to 350.

Last edited:
Here is what I got typing the 2 rounds into my calculator with the same wind/conditions at 500 yards:

The 156:
View attachment 468409

The 130:
View attachment 468410

About 1", not too big of a difference. I'll need to check multiple wind speeds to confirm, but it seems like they both perform about the same as far as wind drift. Since wind drift is close to the same, the bigger question to me would be: which groups better out of this particular gun? and which does the most damage to a deer anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards?
The Scirocco will beat the Berger every time on game. Long distance on steel then the Berger works. I love Berger accuracy, but have no confidence hunting with them. Have hunted with them and not impressed.But that's just one man's opinion.

I have the Meateater. It loves the 130 Swift Sirocco and 127LRX Barnes. Both will take down anything in the lower 48.
And they are very accurate from the factory. Hope you enjoy your 6.5-300 as much as I love mine. 👍
I love mine so far! Can't wait to try it out on some critters. I got the bronze cerakote vanguard. Paired it up with a Burris laser scope and it seems like a deadly combo. The flattest shooting 6.5 paired with the drop compensating scope makes it super user friendly. So far so good on accuracy out to 500 yards. Haven't shot further than that as I have no place to do so but I wouldn't doubt it easily and lethally would.

The Scirocco will beat the Berger every time on game. Long distance on steel then the Berger works. I love Berger accuracy, but have no confidence hunting with them. Have hunted with them and not impressed.But that's just one man's opinion.
Seems like the Berger would be the best bullet if they worked on the terminal performance. Highest B/C and from what I hear they definitely have the accuracy but I've heard mixed reviews on what they do after impact, which is the most important in my opinion. Give me the choice between a .5 MOA bullet with unpredictable terminal performance and and a proven deadly 1 MOA bullet and I'll take the 1 MOA every time. Btw the scirocco 130 is averaging around .75" MOA after more range time since my last update. Anything 1 MOA and under is absolutely fine with me. I have a feeling this combo is going to be the bees knees for many years.