130 Swift Scirocco vs 156 Berger EOL Elite hunter

The 156 gr bergers kill just fine. Shot a desert bighorn facing right at me from below. Bullet entered in his arm pit and I found it right on top of his hip. Still at least half of the bullet weight. If your really worried about terminal performance, develop a load for 140 gr a frames and one for the bergers. Thats what I did. Turned my little 6.5x284 from a sheep rifle, to a moose and grizzly rifle too

Just picked up a 6.5-300 weatherby vanguard and was wondering, what's everyone's experience with factory ammo? I would buy a box of each to test out but it seems like a waste since they're 100$ per box. I will be hunting deer with it out to 500+ yards and winds usually 10-20 mph which is why I chose the 2 factory loads with the highest b/c. Could also have shots up close too, it's 50/50 where I hunt. Any 6.5-300 owners with experience with these 2 factory loads, how did they compare for you? Does the 1:8 twist vanguard prefer the heavier 156 or the lighter 130?
Thanks
I shot a buck antelope at 375 yards with the Berger 156 gr last year out of a 6.5 creedmoore moving 2,580 fps at the muzzle and it dropped in its tracks

I shot a buck antelope at 375 yards with the Berger 156 gr last year out of a 6.5 creedmoore moving 2,580 fps at the muzzle and it dropped in its tracks
That is probably the bullet I'd go with out of a 6.5cm, probably performs perfect at those speeds. The 6.5-300 shoots almost 1000 more fps though and if I had to guess the bullet wouldn't hold together and perform as well after impact. I personally prefer my bullets to mushroom and retain weight. Although I'm not denying the Berger 156 would still kill things.

The 156 gr bergers kill just fine. Shot a desert bighorn facing right at me from below. Bullet entered in his arm pit and I found it right on top of his hip. Still at least half of the bullet weight. If your really worried about terminal performance, develop a load for 140 gr a frames and one for the bergers. Thats what I did. Turned my little 6.5x284 from a sheep rifle, to a moose and grizzly rifle too
Did you happen to take any pictures of the bullet after you found it? I'd be curious to see how it held up, although I already bought 200 rds of factory 130 gr scirocco. Might still want to try the bergers just to see if they shoot out my gun

That is probably the bullet I'd go with out of a 6.5cm, probably performs perfect at those speeds. The 6.5-300 shoots almost 1000 more fps though and if I had to guess the bullet wouldn't hold together and perform as well after impact. I personally prefer my bullets to mushroom and retain weight. Although I'm not denying the Berger 156 would still kill things.
Did you happen to take any pictures of the bullet after you found it? I'd be curious to see how it held up, although I already bought 200 rds of factory 130 gr scirocco. Might still want to try the bergers just to see if they shoot out my gun
I have a 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, and .264 WM. I would take the 156 Berger over the 130 Scirocco anytime.
156 Berger vs 130 Scirocco.jpg

If you want a bullet to mushroom, the Berger bullet is not what you want. Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets designed to dump all their energy on impact.

Below is a video by an LRO/LRH member.

I have a 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, and .264 WM. I would take the 156 Berger over the 130 Scirocco anytime.
View attachment 474965

If you want a bullet to mushroom, the Berger bullet is not what you want. Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets designed to dump all their energy on impact.

Below is a video by an LRO/LRH member.

Interesting. You're making me want to get a box to try out now😡

I think it may be a bad September for some feral hogs. Once it's not 100 degrees everyday they may just have to be my test subjects between these 2 rounds

Interesting. You're making me want to get a box to try out now😡

I think it may be a bad September for some feral hogs. Once it's not 100 degrees everyday they may just have to be my test subjects between these 2 rounds
There are quite a few LRO/LRH members with very good success with the 156 Berger in various .26 cal cartridges.

Scirocco Rifle Bullets Cal. 6.5MM | 130 gr.

Scirocco Rifle Bullets Cal. 6.5MM | 130 gr

Scirocco Rifle Bullets Cal. 6.5MM | 130 gr.
$93.75

Aside from the extravagant price tag, the difference between the two bullets other than the weight, is fragmentation versus mushroom. Neither is wrong since we're concerned with the end result of the impact on the game. Both will kill and that's what we're after when hunting.

The lighter Scirocco is plenty for the shots I need and I prefer the mushroom just like the older Partitions.

Pick your poison and go shoot, that's what's important!

:)

I like the goat video!

:D

All at 100 yards: Shot a box of 140 grain interlocks just to break the barrel in since they are the cheapest 6.5-300 loads. They shot 1-1.25" groups. Then shot a 3 shot and a 2 shot group with the 130 sciroccos. The 3 shot was 1", 2 shot was .75". I found that with all the groups I shot with both types, the first 2 shots were super close (most touching each other) and the 3rd was always a flyer. Figured this may be because of how hot of a load this cartridge is, after letting the barrel completely cool between groups, the barrel was too hot to touch after just 2 shots. Which explains the 1-1.25" flyer almost every 3rd shot. I was also shooting with a 10 mph crosswind with 15-20 mph gusts. I'm happy with the sciroccos performance out this gun, deer hunting I shouldn't have to fire a 3rd consecutive shot very often. Good to know the interlocks shoot just as well, they can be a cheap go-to if I can't find sciroccos available. Though I plan to buy at least 10 boxes of sciroccos now that I know they shoot well, they are the pill of choice for me.
Has the stock been bedded and any trigger work done on this rifle? My experience was similar in my Weatherby with the flyers. Had stock bedded and trigger tuned down to 2.5# and now it's money.

Has the stock been bedded and any trigger work done on this rifle? My experience was similar in my Weatherby with the flyers. Had stock bedded and trigger tuned down to 2.5# and now it's money.
No work has been done at all, the rifle is as it comes from the manufacturer. I have been curious if free floating the barrel would help or hurt since the vanguard doesn't come floated. I do want to lower the trigger pull to the 2.5 minimum as well, right now not sure what's set to. Probably about 3-3.5# if I had to guess

130 Scirocco has always performed in the 6.5-300 for us. Whitetail, hogs etc at various ranges have been good kills. Below is a Gemsbok I shot at 363 yds, and a Barsingha my kid shot at 205. The Gemsbok was dropped where it stood, no exit, the other was a pass through, and it ran about 20 yards and piled up. I love the cartridge, ours is an Mark 5 Accumark rifle.

IMG_1285.jpeg
IMG_1300.jpeg

Recent Posts