6.5 130 Swift Scirocco

Antelopequest270

I am one of those guys that likes to tinker and even though I have a proven, dialed in 139 scenar load at 2840 FPS in my 24" CTR, I have been really intrigued with the 130 grain scirocco. Similar bc to the scenar - should be able to safely launch it a 2900+ FPS, and its a bonded hunting bullet. Anyone have anything good or bad to report on this bullet?

I have read it can be a bit finicky, however I have yet to put a round through this CTR that didn't shoot good, so I am not to worried about getting it to shoot. Going to be playing with H4350 as I have 8 pounds if it.

If the 130 scirrocco is as tough as it claims, with its BC, and being able to launch at 2900+, it should make for one heck of an all around Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope load in my 6.5.

I have been shooting the 150g 7mm option for years. 3100fps in 7rm and 2730fps in 7-08. Good terminal performance, never recovered a bullet, but never had to track either. Black tails and black bear. The 7-08 shoots 1/2 moa and 3/4 out of the 7rm. I have been experimenting with heavier bullets in the 7rm , but keep some Sciroccos loaded as a standby.

I am one of those guys that likes to tinker and even though I have a proven, dialed in 139 scenar load at 2840 FPS in my 24" CTR, I have been really intrigued with the 130 grain scirocco. Similar bc to the scenar - should be able to safely launch it a 2900+ FPS, and its a bonded hunting bullet. Anyone have anything good or bad to report on this bullet?

I have read it can be a bit finicky, however I have yet to put a round through this CTR that didn't shoot good, so I am not to worried about getting it to shoot. Going to be playing with H4350 as I have 8 pounds if it.

If the 130 scirrocco is as tough as it claims, with its BC, and being able to launch at 2900+, it should make for one heck of an all around Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope load in my 6.5.
It's not nearly as tough as advertised. I've had numerous Siroccos fired from .260 Rem's, 7mm Stw's, and 300wm's flatten out completely and go off at near right angles without penetrating properly.

Great varmint bullet but I won't ever shoot them at game again.

If you want a good bonded bullet go to the Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond, they will both do the job for you every time.

When I hunted New Zealand my guide dislike the Scirocco. On the other hand when I hunted sheep with John Porter he liked them as his 2nd choice after Bergers at the time. I suspect that they are a little tougher than the Bergers, but not like most bonded bullets. At higher speeds I'd use caution.
Bruce

I shot the 130's in a 6.5 06at about 2900 fps. They flew good about 1 MOA, BC was true. I killed one Coues deer at 650yds with them and they did just fine. It was dark by the time I crossed the canyon to get to the deer so I never looked for the bullet, not sure what it look liked but it killed the deer in its tracks. I switched to Berger since they were 1/2 MOA

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of boxes of Scirocco 100 gr 25 cal projectiles for my 25-06 rifles but then I found comments along the same lines as WildRose above so I haven't tried them. I did weigh most of the 200 bullets I have and I was not impressed, their weights varied by over 3 grains. In the end went with 100 grain Sierra GKs and have had great results on deer with them. Weighing Sierra projectiles is a very boring affair, the last 200 100 grain GKs I weighed varied less than 0.3 grains.

I used the 7mm 150s for several years and only recovered 2. My load from a 7WSM had it moving out just over 3,150 FPS. One from a bull I shot at 750 yards was mushroomed against the hide on the far side (perfect) and 1 from a whitetail buck that I shot in the throat while he was looking straight on at me. That bullet ended up traveling straight down the spinal column and I think it broke 7 or 8 vertebrae before stopping. It was in rough shape but still together (perfect).

All of the rest of them produced great big exit wounds and are still in the mountains.

I have several buddies that use the .308 180 Sciroccos and they're very happy with them on elk and mule deer.

I can't speak for the 6.5 130s but my guess would be that you wold be very happy with them.

Cross

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.