I bought land - now what?

I tell you what, just give me a call, I'll load up the tractor and head over. You just have to give me first crack and any game.lol. But I agree with @captrjc. If you have a little opening you can plant a small food plot or put up a feeder I'd do that initially. I've found during the summer mineral blocks do better than corn, once fall hits I shift over to corn and that keeps them coming in.
I only own 6 acres in north Florida but I can go out and see deer pretty much 99% of the time. Most I've seen in one sit on my property was 12 one morning. Which I know isn't a lot for some places, but for NW Florida that ain't bad. I have a small plot down by a creek and then have a few other areas I put out feed. First year I owned it I killed 2 does with the bow. This last season I only killed a buck. Wanted to keep all the does around to attract bucks during the rut.
Picture number 4….its a unicorn!!!!!!

003 & 004 look exactly like our food Plot here in our back property - GA.
Picture three has the 400 yard berm and my steel plates in the background. I actually had to drive the lawn tractor out there and mow it down a little. I could not see my targets anymore.
1.jpeg

Last edited:
Something else I feel that is important and might be a little more difficult on a smaller parcel is to have a sanctuary where you usually do not hunt or go. The deer will feel safe and I like it to be near the middle of my property.
Sounds like the sanctuary is the 500 acre place that doesn't allow hunting.
But 338 dude is absolutely right.
Find the deer's water source, protect it and I wouldn't hunt that.
Rent a skidsteer with the mulcher, make sure the skidsteer has tracks, open up a plot area.
If the understory is really thick I would make more than one plot, you might find that one is better than the other.
When building the plot, make it into a V shape, that way you can basically have two plots in one, and you can watch both sides at once. Each leg of the V needs to be fairly narrow and long.
A feeder and mineral lick is good as well.
You will probably find that after a couple of years you will fine tune your setup.
If you are going to set up a place for a camper or makeshift cabin you will need water, google ways to hand drill a water well and how to set it up. Pumps and stuff can be done using a solar system.
From that point the sky is the limit

Call your county extension/forestry department. We had a lease in Middle GA, we contracted them to cut roads & food plots, was very cheap.

Plant some fruit trees.

Do soil samples, lime a lot, enjoy!
This. Get professional advice and assistance. Don`t know if 13 acres is too small ( State forestry will tell you ), but a controlled burn is one of the very best things you can do for a piece of ground when it comes to wildlife.

Congrats on the on the land purchase. A lil control burn goes a long way. Mowing with a rotary cutter will help open up some areas. Plenty of guys on the land clearing side are all over. And as far as prevailing wind…. ⬅️⬆️⬇️➡️↙️↖️↗️↘️. We're not as fortunate as our friends in the Midwest and western states to have a good dominant prevailing wind pattern. Gulf and Atlantic influence keep things interesting.