now what?

rimfiresniper

I just bought a new remmy 700 vtr. in .223 im looking to turn it into a 500 yard death ray. were should i start? thinking about changing out the stock. Its going to be my first ReAL semi-custom. ne info or suggestions will help.

Sounds like you got it recently. If this is the case I'd say put a good scope on it and shoot, shoot, shoot. You don't need to modify this rifle before testing 500yds or even further, if it's possible. You may want to do a trigger tune and make sure the barrel is free floating, perhaps you could bed the action etc. Don't rush into buying a new stock untill you know exactly what features you want. For the remington there are pleanty of options.

i got it out and shot it some tonight. im going to have to look around and found out how to adjust the trigger. i bet that bastard is set for 18 pounds:)!
i also free floated the barrel with the dremmel sanding stone since it had contact point all down the forearm. all and all it went ok. it will only get better with time.

I dont blame you for your first thought though. Nice rifle, hate those stocks. A decent trigger and quality glass should be your first priority. From what I understand those stocks are hard to bed because they flex so much. Just get those two above mentioned items squared away and worry about a stock later.

If I wanted a 500 yard death ray I would have chosen a 22-250. I do have a .223 and it is really fun to shoot. Mine is for coyotes and I use a 45gr hollow point. I have shot mine to 600 yards on steel with great success when the wind isn't kicking too hard.
If you are using a bipod I don't think the .223 will have enough recoil and bounce to cause the barrel and stock to make contact. I would just make sure the barrel is floated (and do something with that trigger) and go shoot. If it needs any more attention maybe give it a light bed.

I have to say I agree with you Bravo about the 22-250. I have one and love it. I was in the Army for 8 years and just got out about a year ago and sort of a fondness for the .223. will continue to post as I move along with the DEATH RAY:)gun)

rimfiresniper:
I have the very same rifle in both .223 and .308. Like you, I will be building them up one step at a time.

1. Scope - choose a good one that matches your application. My .223 wears a 6-24x44 with target turrets. My .308 wears a fixed 10x40 with target turrets on a 20moa base because this rifle spends most of its time shooting 1k.

2. Float your barrel (which you've done)

3. Trigger - have it adjusted according to your application. Personally, my .223 will be shot from a set position most of the time so it will be adjusted to 2lbs. If it's a carry gun where you will be shooting from the shoulder often, adjust to 2.5 to 3lbs.

4. Stock - you have a lot of stuff to do and a lot of shooting to do before you get to this step. While you're working steps 1, 2, and 3, check out all the stocks you can. Then make a decision based on the your particular application. Because my .223 won't be shot much (I essentially bought it so my niece would have a rifle to shoot) I won't be changing the stock too soon. For my .308, I'll be shooting that rifle much more often and 99% of the time from a set-up prone position so I'll be going with the B&C A2 stock. There was much consternation in this decision but was ultimately decided when I was on a range one day and a nice guy let me shoot his .243 with the B&C A2. On a final note, please to not spend any time or money bedding the factory stock. It's a piece of junk so just change it if/when you want. I say this from experience with another remington rifle I had where I spent $165 in pillars and bedding in the factory stock - it was a waste of time and money.

5. Barrel - hopefully your rifle will shoot well with the stock barrel. (My .223 shoots .75moa with junk, factory ammo). If it doesn't, or you manage to wear it out, or it won't shoot with the bullets you want (your rifle comes with a 9 twist barrel so you should be able to shoot about any weight bullet you want - even the heavy 70+ grain bullets), then it's time to choose a reputable gunsmith and have a custom barrel installed.

Just my 2cents - hope it helps.

Last edited:
i bought some new bullets to mess around with i went ahead and got the BErger 75gr match VLD. it has been topped with a leopold vxII 4-12x50. as I mentioned earlier in the week i need some instructions on how to adjust the new mark x trigger. people say it is almost the same but i need some facts not here say. wouldnt want to HAVE to buy a new trigger. thanks 2 everyone.

DEATH RAY COMING AT YOU gun):)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.