Non-recovered Elk - my fault or bullet failure or both?

Sometimes it just happens. Not the bullet, not the shot. Perhaps the will to live? 2 years ago in Newfoundland I put 2 180gr Accubonds through a Black Bears lungs out of a 300WSM at about 265 yards. The guide was watching through a spotting to confirm shot placement. After the the second hit the bear wheeled and ran about 150 yards into a hole in a bunch of boulders. Lost game. Is that the bullets fault? 2 days before that same bullet, same gun dropped a nice bull moose at 165 yards with virtually the same shot placement where it stood. Very unlikely it was the bullet but given the physiology of hunting I can't get myself to use Accubonds anymore. The bull in my avatar pic was this year with a 200gr Terminal Ascent out of a 300WM at 565 yards. Better bullet, probably not much difference in effectiveness in reality.

The Nearest thing ( Rifle, Cart, Bullet ) to, Elk Killing, "Perfection" that I've ever, used / found was, a Weatherby .340 or, .338 Win Mag with, a 25 - 26 inch Barrel, Launching,.. 210 gr. Nosler Partitions at,.. 2,975 to 3,100 FPS ( Best Used with, a BRAKE, tho ! ).
Shot Mine, Un-Braked for many years. Fortunately, it "Clover Leafed" 3 Shots, to SAME POI, every Year so, Re-sighting annually, was Minimal !
Sadly,.. I did NOT, Practice much, with it ! It had, a 25 1/2 " Douglas Premium Barrel, Glass Bedded, Honed Trigger to 2.5 Pounds, Leupold 2.5 X 10.
I'm a MUCH better shot NOW, after shooting, a .270 WSM with, 140 Nosler AccuBonds and, 140 Berger, Classic Hunters @3,200 FPS, for the last several years and it, Kills Elk, just about, as "Good",.. for Me ( Maybe, I got Lucky ,.. LOL ). My Shoulder "thanks Me", for Selling the .338 Mag, tho !
PS; in the .270 WSM,.. the BERGERS,.. killed, better,.. IMO

Last edited:
If you hit the animal where you aimed, you might consider use of a different bullet.

Some Burgers do not expand. Some shrapnel prematurely, lacking penetration.

I experienced both extremes with Burgers. And these were on animals I recovered, with additional finishing shots required. So no guessing as to bullet performance.

As a consequence, I haven't shot a Burger at an animal for the past 7 seasons. I keep them, but use them to fire form wildcat cartridge cases, or foul clean bores prior to hunting.

Last edited:
I never shoot through the point of the shoulder. Oh I know I will hear how that's the best place. It will break them down and all that but I've seen many shots gone wrong doing this. Have seen bullets deflect and miss vitals and bullets deform so badly that they don't penetrate deep enough.
I aim just behind front leg. This will, dare I say , kill every time. You punch the lungs or take out the heart or both it will die. Oh been times an animal may go a few yards until it runs out of air, but it will die.
Bad bullet placement is why you are tracking a wounded animal.

Recent Posts