New Rifle build Please tell me why I should or should not build a 25-06

Well, keep your savage short action and build a 25/284 or a 25/308(25 Souper). I have had 25/06, 257 Weatherby, 25/284 and still have a 257 Roberts and a 25 Souper, the 257 Roberts may be the ideal deer cartridge with about any 120 grain bullet.

After owning, shooting, hunting, and taking game with everything from 22 caliber to 30 caliber ahead of various rounds, my all time favorite is the 25-06. I harvested dozens of deer and antelope and that round most consistently put the game down humanely with the least amount of ruined meat. I could make my brass by necking down 30-06 brass, shoot sub-minute accuracy, and make one shot kills consistently. Back in my heyday we didn't have modern optics technology and bullet technology to make ethical shots beyond 400 yards. But the 25-06 performed flawlessly for me. Now I own several and they all send 115 gr Berger VLD's downrange with sub-minute accuracy out as far as I can find somewhere to shoot. I do own an awesome 257 Weatherby Magnum that shoots the Berger 115 VLD's light out too. Thing is, that extra velocity is a notorious blood shot maker. There is so much energy that if the bullet hits flesh, there is going to be lots of scrap meat. I've probably hurt on the 257 WB crowd. Sorry, just my experience after hunting around Montana for the last 60 years. Since you already have a 6.5 Creedmoor, maybe build one for a family member?? With a short action, I'd build a 6.5 Creedmoor. Ooops, there's lots of 6.5 CM haters out there. That said, the 6.5 CM is a remarkable round. I'm shooting 0.27" groups with Berger 135 gr Classic Hunters out of a $600 Howa rifle, and out of a short barrel AR frame, a Browning T-Bolt Micro, and a Browning Hells Canyon. My advice, forget 22 caliber for a deer rifle. Years ago, I hunted deer and antelope with a 22-250. As long as they were within 125 yards, they'd drop. In one instance a friend was shooting 220 Swift. At the time that was the hot 22 caliber. Back in the 5 anterless, muley tag days we rarely left a tag un-filled, hunting in eastern Montana. One trip, he was shooting the Swift and I was shooting a Browning B78, 25-06 at a herd about 200 yards across a gully. I dropped 3 deer, all with one shot. My friend was still shooting at the same deer that took repeated hits with the Swift. He tagged one, shot full of holes in the front end. I tagged 3 that either dropped in their tracks or within a few feet of taking the shot. Neither of us ever hunted big game with a 22 caliber after that day.

Another friend set aside his 6.5-284 and 6.5 Creedmoor after building a 6mm Creedmoor. Maybe the right choice?? Or, 22 caliber is fine for shooting coyotes.

I'm buying and/or building 6.5 Creedmoors for all the ladies and grandkids. From my experience, the 6.5 CM and 25-06 are the most effective, efficient deer and antelope rounds going. Now, I won't start a discussion about elk guns other than to say, neither of those rounds are the best option for bigger game.

Good thing about our sport. We can all do it our way!! Good luck whatever you do!!

Last edited:
A little input I have a short action Savage that want to build a new Rifle. I have a .270, 300 wm, 6.5 cm
So I am thinking a 25-06 or a 22 creedmoor I reload so I will need to get brass and Bullets can brass be found for the 25-06?
YES!!!! You should build a .25-06. It is un-American not to have one. Then, enjoy it while you decide which caliber to build your next rifle around. Having other rifles in calibers in close performance approximation to the .25-06 is not good reason not to have a .25-06. .25-06 is a classic. You have a gaping hole in your caliber selection....fill it in and enjoy. However, the .25-06 will require a longer action than the short action you have, assuming you aren't going for a manual feed single shot.

I might as well weigh in, dump the short action, grab a high quality long action and build the 25-06. I have for the last 12 years regretted ever selling my fast twist 25-06. it was absolutely best of the bunch I had at the time to shoot prong horn. I loved it. the 270 Win that stood beside it and my 270 WSM that was the other side of the bookends just looked right. all had their use and jobs. the 25-06 was the one that got the goats. no one should be without a gun like the 25-06.

A little input I have a short action Savage that want to build a new Rifle. I have a .270, 300 wm, 6.5 cm
So I am thinking a 25-06 or a 22 creedmoor I reload so I will need to get brass and Bullets can brass be found for the 25-06?
I have 4 different 25-06 rifles. I have long and short action in all Calibers. Your the one going to be shooting it or hunting with the gun. Why would you want to ask other people what you should build? I just don't get it. LOL

It's hard not to read this and not express an opinion; especially since I'm one of the many 25 caliber aficionado. I started with a 250 Savage and still turn to it many times. Accurate, easy to shoot and load for, and it kills. I added the 25:06 and was doubly pleased. I added another and sold it. I added a 257 Roberts and sold it and replaced it. Then I AI'ed the 25:06 and they cover anything I want to shoot at most distances that I can still see. [ Darned eyes aren't what they used to be. ] Suffice it to say, I will never be without my 25's, and the 06AI allows me to shoot both the AI and the standard 25:06 without any real accuracy drop off. Just an additional opinion for whatever it's worth.

It's hard not to read this and not express an opinion; especially since I'm one of the many 25 caliber aficionado. I started with a 250 Savage and still turn to it many times. Accurate, easy to shoot and load for, and it kills. I added the 25:06 and was doubly pleased. I added another and sold it. I added a 257 Roberts and sold it and replaced it. Then I AI'ed the 25:06 and they cover anything I want to shoot at most distances that I can still see. [ Darned eyes aren't what they used to be. ] Suffice it to say, I will never be without my 25's, and the 06AI allows me to shoot both the AI and the standard 25:06 without any real accuracy drop off. Just an additional opinion for whatever it's worth.

I am surprised you did not mention .25 Gibbs. 😇

First let me say, build one that's interesting to you.

Given that you are wanting to rebarrel a Savage SA, and most of them have a long magazine, don't overlook a .257 Roberts AI. It will give .25-06 performance and fit the action you have. Twist it for the longer bullets and you'll have scratched the itch.
Given how many medium size rifles you have though, it kinda makes sense to build a fast twist .224" something. The Sierra 77gr TMK does incredible on game, and with the SA you have several very good choices. The 22 CM may be your bailiwick.

I am surprised you did not mention .25 Gibbs. 😇
I just finished a 25 -284 barreled by Douglas because Bartlein and others had a year turnaround versus a month and glad I did the xx stainless air gaged barrel shoots lights out 1-8 twist allows me a lot of options from light too heavy I just finished some 90 gr absolute hammers yesterday at 3848 fps with rl19 get you 100 rounds of Lapua brass some 25-284 bushing dies with the 283 and 285 bushings and your savage short action should work fine just too be sure check your mag length for what ever you decide on my current oal is 2.875.The 25-284 is referred too as a short 25-06 good luck on your decision